Big Sur, CA

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited July 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi all,

So I made a whirlwind trip to Big Sur yesterday with my friend. It was a lot of fun and the place is just beautiful. The possibilities for photography are endless and I am definitely going to head back in the near future asap. Here are a couple of shots from there. I have one or two more that I think will come out well. Thanks for looking! :D

648933111_uS8je-L.jpg

648933340_aECQg-L.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 12, 2009
    Wow! Super, Nikhil! clap.gif Great job on these. Looks like Big Sur could be Norcal's answer to Ruby Beach. :D I'm gonna have to try to get out there soon myself.

Thanks for posting these!
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Gorgeous shots. clap.gif That first one looks just a tad tilted to my eye.

Dan
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Very nice, Nikhil! Great moods here, with wonderful colors and awesome comps! I know you're probably going for a "dark" mood, but the 1st shot could be brightened up a bit, I think. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I think the first picture is very good. Amazing.

The second picture seems like 3 good pictures in one, in that the top looks interesting, and so does the middle and the bottom. The problem for me is I don't know where to focus so you just kind of look all around. So I think it would be improved if there was an obvious area to focus the eye on.

As an example, in the first pic our eye is drawn to the foreground then we go to the sunset. In the second pic there's nothing that immediately draws the eye. Make sense? That is my critique.
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    #1 for me... just straighten the horizon a little and you've got a winner, well done thumb.gif

Are these HDR?
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    These are fantastic. The colors and detail, wow. bowdown.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    O, that second one is my favorite. The mood is really something! It feels like I could be climbing thru the rock! Love that sky!!!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    You've got some wonderful photos displayed here. I think the first one is a little too dark but that second one is really nice. I love the textures of the foreground rocks.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Incredible. I love them! Can we get some juicy details on how this art was made?
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Erren and Bloom...
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah these are HDR... 3 shots @ -2, 0 and +2 then merged in Photomatix and adjusted for levels and curves in Capture NX2.

Cheers,
    edited July 13, 2009
    Mahesh/ Danny
    dseidman wrote:
    You've got some wonderful photos displayed here. I think the first one is a little too dark but that second one is really nice. I love the textures of the foreground rocks.

Yeah I hear you guys about the photo being a little too dark. These were taken well past sunset and into the twilight- so as Mahesh mentioned, I wanted to keep the dark mood with just the rocks aglow. Having said that I will rework them to see how they look just a tad brighter.

Thanks for the feedback...

Cheers,
    edited July 13, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys...
    It was such a fun trip and my friend Jennifer and I had a great time. While heading down to one of the coves, my friend jennifer lost her footing and literally slide down 10 feet screaming like a banshee, with me echoing her screams. You know you are a photographer when your good friend is facing an imminent injury and all you can think about is 'don't drop my tripod' (she was carrying it).... :D Oh ok! I jest! (or am I? hmmmm...)rolleyes1.gif

Big Sur- my new fave place....

Cheers,
    edited July 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Wow! Super, Nikhil! clap.gif Great job on these. Looks like Big Sur could be Norcal's answer to Ruby Beach. :D I'm gonna have to try to get out there soon myself.

Thanks for posting these!
    -joel

Hi Joel- you should definitely check it out. I think I would first hit Monterey/ Carmel and then work south along the coast. There are tons of turnouts to stop at. Just remember that most of the great seascapes/ stacks are not visible from the road- one has to walk over to the cliffside and look below. I actually passed by a couple of places I thought were nice, but when I returned that evening and decided to pull over to see what was there, I was pleasantly surprised. Have fun and do post some pics... :D

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I've only ever driven past there very quickly, no time to stop but looks like there was a LOT to miss. Glad you had a good adventure and no limbs (human or tripod) were hurt. lol3.gif

Next time you decide to come up to shoot it, send up a flare! I'd love to have an excuse to explore it for real.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Wow, Ruby Beach south! :D

Great stuff, awesome comps on both. I don't mind the darkness of the first shot.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    That 2nd shot is SWEET!!!! clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Awesome shots, Nikhil!! clap.gif

The second one's a wall hanger for sure! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Wow fantastic job dear mwink.gifwink
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Great set. I like the first one, maybe I favor the "Dark Side".
    edited July 14, 2009
    Thanks Ron, Aaron, Chris, Doug and Awais...
    too bad Big Sur is a bit far away from LA (around 315 or so miles), else it would be a nice weekend trip. Will have to combine a weekend with some holiday in the near future. :D

Cheers,
    edited July 14, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I've only ever driven past there very quickly, no time to stop but looks like there was a LOT to miss. Glad you had a good adventure and no limbs (human or tripod) were hurt. lol3.gif

Next time you decide to come up to shoot it, send up a flare! I'd love to have an excuse to explore it for real.

Heh deal! thumb.gif But Schmoo, you live so close to Big Sur and you haven't been there? Let me say it again- you HAVEN'T been there? eek7.gif You have to go over some weekend. It's probably a two hour drive for you- I wish I were so lucky!!!

Cheers,
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Nice shots.