Canon 40d v 50d

farfromthesunfarfromthesun Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 13, 2009 in Cameras
First post in a long while, and apologies if this has been asked already but I couldn't find an existing topic.

My 400d has refused to work any more after being dropped (twice) by my wifes' sister. Thankfully, it's covered on my insurance, and a cheque is in the mail. Obviously, the 400d is obselete, so I will have to opt for another model, and am torn between the 40d and 50d. There's a fairly hefty price difference, but from reading reviews online, there seems to be no great differences in terms of end result between the two models. I know the 50d has more mp, but DPReview state that it's almost at a stage where it's not sensible any more.

One of my main requirements is to have a full frame sensor - is this available on either model?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice, and if this topic already exists, please link me to it. Thanks. FFTS.

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Both models, 40D and 50D, are crop bodies. Might I ask why you would want to go full frame?

If I had to choose between the 40 and the 50D, I think I would opt for the 40D so I could buy better glass with it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 13, 2009
    As Moogle Pepper just mentioned, both the Canon 40D and 50D are crop 1.6x sensor cameras. Current full frame models are the 1Ds MKIII (a $7000USD camera body) and the 5D MKII (around $2700). Full frame cameras will not accept EF-S lenses, only EF series lenses.

I own the 40D and I find it to be a very nice camera for the money.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • farfromthesunfarfromthesun Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Thanks Guys.
    I don't know why I thought either of them were full frame - if it were an option at this price, it would be nice. I am erring towards the 40d at the moment.

Thanks again. FFTS.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    The original 5D is full frame and can be had for around $1,200 or so used. A lot of people are dumping their 5Ds for the 5D2, but if you don't need full-frame the 40D is the best bang for your buck crop sensor Canon these days.