#29 - my concept thread

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited July 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm starting to work on this one and have a couple of ideas I'll hopefully get through over the weekend.

But, here's the first concept. I know it's not perfect, but as soon as I read the theme, I thought of this song and all these images started flashing in my head. I just couldn't figure out how to capture them. But in any case, here goes...

Feels so good - Chuck Mangione
589935718_k4Jww-XL.jpg

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Don't ya mean all these ideas started flushing into your head:flush:lol4

Sorry could not help it..:D

I love it.. clap.gif

It is well shot...... I love the colors of the tiles. It is so different, creative and humorous. It speaks well for the song title too.

If a reshoot is possible, I would toy around with different compositions, perhaps center the statue and take out the flowers, and then maybe try another shot with the crop closer, just to see different options.

The composition you have going here works just fine as is.... and I like the way you balanced the main subject in the frame with the flowers. thumb.gif

However, it may be worth trying different compositions and also balancing it with different objects other than the flowers just for fun and experiment's sake too.

If you go with the shot you have here, as is, I would suggest sharpening it up a bit..

Great call on the contrasting red and green, it works wonderfully....!!!

I think this is super Jen... I really like it..

I love > Chuck Mangione - Feels so good, I often work to that song, ya have good taste in music..rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I like it! Great colors. I think that having something up on the back of the comode help balance it out. I'm okay with the flowers, but if you have other objects it might be worth seeing if they work as good as, or better than, the flowers. Just a couple of nits on this image though. The highlights on the titles (reflections of your flash/lights) are a litlle distracting. Also, the missing tiles right in front of the base of the comode. These two things can probably be fixed with a little cloning. Great idea. Looking forward to the next take.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 14, 2009
    great concept! I like it too. Good idea about the flowers although I would think that a roll of toliet paper with a trail of it hanging down might go with the humorous undertones of the whole image! But flowers are nice too.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    The other options...
    Here's the other idea that's been sticking in my head. Not sure if it works. What do you think? There's only a minor chance to reshoot, but I have a couple versions that I can work through and re-crop if needed.

The Celebrated Chop Waltz, "Chopsticks" - Euphemia Allen
    592795555_4tbdD-XL.jpg
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I like the colors and concept of your new idea but didn't realize that those things in the middle were chopsticks until I looked at the title of the song again. Probably need to make sure that you can see all of the chopsticks for the idea to come across. If you can reshoot, you might want to try putting them at a different angle (keeping the same perspective of the keyboard) to see how it looks. I would try perpendicular (left to right), on a diagonal, maybe even crossed. Just my take on it.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    It's cute! But you need to reposition the chopsticks so they don't look like they're part of the keyboard. Try laying them across the white keys and shooting from a higher angle. mwink.gif

My initial reaction to your latest choice of song title was that "Chopsticks" does not qualify as a song because there are no lyrics/words to it. It's strictly an instrumental piece written for piano. In order for something to be a "song" it must have lyrics/words.

:D But I did fine some lyrics to it here: http://www.mlyrics.com/lyrics/Sesame_Street/unknown/Chopsticks

But what I haven't been able to find is who wrote them. These lyrics fit the melody. Don't bother with the ones written by Liz Phair, not only do they not fit the melody but they're awful.

"Feels So Good" is also a strictly an instrumental piece. This one was written for flugelhorn. Did find a version with lyrics here, but it gives no indication who wrote them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzIpFvU1NP0 ne_nau.gif

Music nerd goes back into hiding now. :hide rolleyes1.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Thanks for the comments... Ok, hmmm. I'm not getting the love. Is the piano or relief the better idea to build on?

I don't have a grand piano hanging out in my flat. I grew up with several, and I'm sure Divamum has at least one. I might be back at the hotel with the grand next week. I tried to dynamically position the chopsticks but it just fell flat in my mind. I can imagine one or two scenarios that might work. But, I'd hoped that the reference to the title would lead to the viewer creating the extension in their mind's eye.

For lyrics, I understood the challenge to be for songs. Not all songs have lyrics, but they usually have titles. If someone singing is needed, then I've got a serious rethink in order or I might need to wait this one out.
    edited July 16, 2009
    For "Chopsticks", did you try a shot with someone holding a chopstick in each hand trying to play the piece?

Yes. The challenge is for songs nod.gif. But if you check the definitions of the word, nearly all of them say something to the effect of "a brief composition written or adapted for singing" or "a short composition of words and music". ne_nau.gif

I think "Chopsticks" definitely qualifies for "adapted for singing". thumb.gif

Your idea for "Chopsticks" will work well, but you just need to try some reshoots. You don't need a grand piano, any piano will do, even an electronic keyboard. Don't give up, let's see some more shots!
    edited July 16, 2009
    Very creative Jen, I like it..

The first song that popped into my head was Ebony and Ivory, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssqBjaTzOU

if you stick with the chopsticks song, then I would go with Kevin and Linda's advice for sure..thumb.gif

As far as a song having lyrics, well here is the definition and a "song" is meant to have lyrics from what I can tell...headscratch.gif I am not sure what Kerry would say..

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/song

eek7.gifhuheek7.gif It amazes me, there must be a million songs out there with lyrics and this bunch keeps picking songs/titles without lyrics.. y'all are a rebel bunch if ya ask me...:lol4blbl.gifseamus
    edited July 16, 2009
    y'all are a rebel bunch if ya ask me..

Mah deah Miss Kat, since ya'll are from Tennuh-see I say ya'll be the Rebel in these heah parts.... :pokeblbl.gifrofl
    edited July 16, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Mah deah Miss Kat, since ya'll are from Tennuh-see I say ya'll be the Rebel in these heah parts.... :pokeblbl.gifrofl

Spoken like a True Suthun Bell Miss Linda..thumb.gifrofl