Eye-eye pirate

martinjamescookmartinjamescook Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 16, 2009 in People
Endless fun with a cardboard tube. Comments and critique appreciated

Comments

• MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    ooh thats really interesting :) my only cc at this time is that there is a lot of useless negative space. I want to get closer and see those catch lights better.
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Very interesting. I ditto comments above about negative space. Cool idea.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • martinjamescookmartinjamescook Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 14, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated

I have taken your advice and cropped the 'empty' bits and tried to concentrate on the eye and hand. Have I been aggressive enough

Martin
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated

I have taken your advice and cropped the 'empty' bits and tried to concentrate on the eye and hand. Have I been aggressive enough

Martin
    More than...The negative space is part of what was so intriguing about the original image - we have the negative space, blending into the out-of-focus figure, with our eye being drawn to the eye. I admit I haven't a clue why someone would want to see catchlights better; that's like saying 'crop it so that I can see your focusing better.' Catchlights aren't - shouldn't be - an end in themselves, but rather something one might use to give a goose to otherwise flat eyes.

Ah well....
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    I think the crop works much better both in terms of keeping useful negative space and (to me) a better composition. The eye now falls on the upper/right 3rd... My two cents

-mrlassiter
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    I really like this! It draws more attention in to the focal point (his eye) yet keeps the great compositon... my eye isn't wandering from where it should be. I agree with BD, however that is not what I was saying (it wasn't about the catch lights...it was about your focal point)...it seems you got the point tho nice job!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    I prefer the first crop. more of a mystical feel, and my eye running all over the photo in this case I think is a good thing. more left to the imagination. Plus I really liked the light in the upper right corner washing over the top pf the head. I like the soft water color lighting combination in the negative space.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I'm still trying to figure out how you captured this. How did you shoot down the tube while still being able to see his head?

I prefer the original post shot for the same reasons as vaycaymom. You don't always have to crop super tight.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • martinjamescookmartinjamescook Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2009
    hi, thanks for the comments. I am afraid i can't claim any special technique with this. I just used a selective focus point on the eye. The rest of the image should be in focus but is degraded or blurred by the 2 foot long cardboard tube (and my hand). Have managed same previously with my others son with the same interesting effect. Sorry to disappoint as i have no clever wizardry!