Old Ski Heaven.....Or Perhaps It's Old Ski Hell

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited July 13, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
590195984_wDHbh-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 13, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifrolleyes1.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Howdy Tom
    Ya just have to stop and wonder what the story is behind this. headscratch.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited July 13, 2009
    I'd be willing to wager that it's old inventory from a ski rental shop. From the genre of the skis, I'd say they've been sitting around unused for a few years as well. Hence, pretty much worthless.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Hi Jack,

Yea, I'm with you. I saw this scene and couldn't quite grasp what the story was. I think Joel is probably right.

Hey Joel,

You're probably right-on with your assessment. This scene was near Sugar Mt. and Beach Mt. in NC. There's a lot of ski shops in the area. As a non-skier, I'm ignorant of some some aspects of the sport......at what point do skis become a throw-away item? Is it because the boot attachment hardware breaks or the bottom of the ski suffers too much wear?

Thanks to you both for commenting.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited July 13, 2009
    Lots of reasons, Tom. Obsolescence for one thing. Ski design was actually relatively static for a long time. Then in the past 6 or 8 years, all of a sudden the designs took a dramatic turn. Skis are now either fat, or hourglass shaped. This are the old straight skinny skis. Worthless in today's market, and turn like crap. Also, binding designs change and get safer every year. And old bindings get worn and unreliable. Nobody wants to ski on old bindings. There are probably insurance factors too stipulating how long you can use the same skis. Also, you're correct. The ski bottoms start to get worn through after too many base grindings.

One of the biggest tipoffs for me was that there are many of the same model skis and bindings in that pile. For example, there's at least a dozen pairs of those white K2s with blue lettering and red bindings. So they're not an old bunch of say consignment skis or random trade-ins. They were acquired together and that only makes sense for a rental fleet.

Cheers,
    -joel