Options

Kalamazoo Air Museum

OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
edited July 13, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hi All,
Just a few shots from my recent visit to the Air Zoo. A lot of cool old and new aircraft and space stuff on display. I couldn't identify a lot of the aircraft, so maybe some of you aviation buffs can help out :cool::cool:

BTW, the lighting was not to conducive to good exposure so some of the shots are a little off - but the planes were sweeeet.

588746767_hN3GL-L.jpg

589391234_ghJfi-L.jpg

3. This one I do know; the SR71 Blackbird on loan from NASA. The info sheet said this was the only remaining one in the world.
589396459_hwjWR-L.jpg

4. Same
589396311_MXjRV-L.jpg

5. F-86 Korean War Good Guys
589399020_MQERa-L.jpg

6. MIG-15 Korean War Bad Guys
590143450_Pd7tP-L.jpg

589400184_pgoVo-L.jpg

589397609_MVmzy-L.jpg

589381323_aTBra-L.jpg

589388997_d8X25-L.jpg

589384292_Y9SMJ-L.jpg

589388866_sB5d2-L.jpg

589391678_R38A6-L.jpg

590144561_5sXeE-L.jpg

590142456_Q7Vdh-L.jpg

590141271_HAzgS-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Very nice photos under adverse lighting conditions! I've shot at the WPAFB museum in Dayton and know how difficult it is to get good shots.

Actually that's a dual-cockpit SR71b Blackbird Trainer and its numbers were extremely limited; the one at K-zoo is the only one left of its type.

However, there are plenty of SR71 aircraft in museums all over the country, in addition to one fighter variant at Wright Patterson AFB at the Airforce Museum there, as well as a "mother ship" variant (M21) at the Museum of Flight in Seattle that launched D21 drones from its backside.

One SR71 occasionally flies for NASA in a research capacity.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Very nice photos under adverse lighting conditions! I've shot at the WPAFB museum in Dayton and know how difficult it is to get good shots.

Actually that's a dual-cockpit SR71b Blackbird Trainer and its numbers were extremely limited; the one at K-zoo is the only one left of its type.

However, there are plenty of SR71 aircraft in museums all over the country, in addition to one fighter variant at Wright Patterson AFB at the Airforce Museum there, as well as a "mother ship" variant (M21) at the Museum of Flight in Seattle that launched D21 drones from its backside.

One SR71 occasionally flies for NASA in a research capacity.

Thanks for the info, Henry. I stand corrected. I wondered about the dual-cockpit, as I didn't notice it on other images of the SR71.
  • Options
    t_hedlundt_hedlund Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Wow some interesting aircraft here. Nice photos especially with the lighting.

1) SPAD
    2) Bell P-39Q AirCorbra, Most exported to other countries during WW2, this is very interesting aircraft , the engine is mounted midship, behind the pilot, so allow the machine gun to exit the center of the prop hub. If i remember correctly, there are only 2 flyable in the world, This one is a old air racer.
    7) P-80 Shooting Star
    9) I think it is a Ryan PT-something
    13) F-14 Tomcat ( wifes favorite plane) Awesome aircraft, i have never heard an plane howl like that when performing a air show, i wish i could have see them fly more.
    14) f4u

Here is a link to the rest of the birds, this is one museum i would like to visit, really like the Aircobra.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    t_hedlund wrote:
    Wow some interesting aircraft here. Nice photos especially with the lighting.

1) SPAD
    2) Bell P-39Q AirCorbra, Most exported to other countries during WW2, this is very interesting aircraft , the engine is mounted midship, behind the pilot, so allow the machine gun to exit the center of the prop hub. If i remember correctly, there are only 2 flyable in the world, This one is a old air racer.
    7) P-80 Shooting Star
    9) I think it is a Ryan PT-something
    13) F-14 Tomcat ( wifes favorite plane) Awesome aircraft, i have never heard an plane howl like that when performing a air show, i wish i could have see them fly more.
    14) f4u

Here is a link to the rest of the birds, this is one museum i would like to visit, really like the Aircobra.

Thanks for the link, Hedlund. I know what you mean about the F14. The last air show in Kazoo featured the Tomcat. The dude did a low speed, low level pass with wings extended, then kicked the nose up, swept the wings back, broke our eardrums and disappeared into the heavens. :ivar :ivar