Options

#29 Theme and variations....

2»

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    karlabbott wrote:
    This is looking quite nice! I really like this edit of the image. What strikes me most is how the tops of the trees seem to fade away into the black. The reflection of the moon is also nicely done. :D

Thanks! Since both of those were particularly challenging, I'm glad somebody thinks they work - oy this thing has really pushed the bumbling, self-taught PS skills I have to the absolute max....
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    Wow Diva, that looks beautiful. You really pulled it off nicely..

One question though.. Why the black shading on the water up front? It is not bad, I am just trying to place in my mind where the shadow is coming from.

I love the trees, they look like velvet.. Wonderful process...thumb.gifclap

Kat

I think it's just the way the layer of water texture blended when I changed it to multiply. I think (sort of down in the front right third?)

Thanks - I figure if you're liking it then I finally didn't overdarken it too much (yay me!) thumb.gif This one has really been a pig. I'm stil not 100% sure i've finished with it as there are a couple more tweaks I may consider, but at least it's finally going in the right direction (eventually, instead of pasting the moon into the scene I pasted the scene into the moon, but that presented its own, different set of challenges ....)
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Really nice! Knew you'd pull it off. thumb.gif

Thanks Kevin! My effortswere significantly aided and abetted by the many times you've posted specific PS manipulation techniques (including suggesting the photo filter), so my thanks to you for being willing to act as guru on occasion thumb.gif This one was really tricky - I'm sure there are other, better ways of solving some of the problems than the cludge-y methods I used, but it seems to be (mostly) working at last.....
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I think it's just the way the layer of water texture blended when I changed it to multiply. I think (sort of down in the front right third?)

Thanks - I figure if you're liking it then I finally didn't overdarken it too much (yay me!) thumb.gif This one has really been a pig. I'm stil not 100% sure i've finished with it as there are a couple more tweaks I may consider, but at least it's finally going in the right direction (eventually, instead of pasting the moon into the scene I pasted the scene into the moon, but that presented its own, different set of challenges ....)

Yep,, Yay You...rolleyes1.gif

Nice work.. and yes, it is the front, but more like the front 1/4, not really a big deal and it does look natural enough... just fine... I love the way the moon hangs in the frame.. Nice job...thumb.gifD

Kat
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Thanks all! I'm glad to have found a way of doing it that seems to appeal - I haven't been so successful with composites before, so it's been a pretty substantial learning curve on this one. Good for me, but sheesh! I think I'll go back to taking theater shots - it's wayyyyy easier rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Nice job with the rework. The blue toning gives your image a lush, romantic nighttime feel.

The thing that bothers my eye a bit is that the moon is so much brighter than its reflection. Generally, moonlight reflected in water is going to have some significant part that is nearly as bright as the moon itself. Maybe if there is some strange atmospheric haze or cloudiness between the moon and water, this would not be the case. Since your moon and landscape are free of atmospheric effect, however, the reflection would naturally appear clear and bright. It's up to you, of course, what effect you're seeking to achieve or, for that matter, how much time you would want to spend in PS fiddling!
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    Nice job with the rework. The blue toning gives your image a lush, romantic nighttime feel.

The thing that bothers my eye a bit is that the moon is so much brighter than its reflection. Generally, moonlight reflected in water is going to have some significant part that is nearly as bright as the moon itself. Maybe if there is some strange atmospheric haze or cloudiness between the moon and water, this would not be the case. Since your moon and landscape are free of atmospheric effect, however, the reflection would naturally appear clear and bright. It's up to you, of course, what effect you're seeking to achieve or, for that matter, how much time you would want to spend in PS fiddling!

HA! I spent ages deciding how bright to make it, and simply couldn't decide if it would be reflected at full luminence or not. I can pretty easily add more to it.... :D (thank you, Photoshop, for making it possible to save files with layers.... rolleyes1.gif)