Options

Printer to Printer variance

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in Finishing School
My setup is LR2.4 with Dell 2007WFP monitors, calibrated w/ Spyder3Elite on a GeForce250 (dual LUTs). I've printed to file (profile embeds properly) and printed to MPix, Costco (profiles from Drycreek), local pro camera shop, and two different Epsons, R800 and R2880. Printing on Lustre paper at each option creates a pretty wide array of color tints in the image. The starting point is the same .dng file in LR, just printed with a different profile. Is this just standard operating procedure with printers? One can easily say that my calibration is off, but even then the printers should be printing the same 'wrong' image. The Epson's came in closest to what I have, with (oddly) the Mpix sRGB w/o color correction coming in a close second, with the local photo store (not Ritz/Wolf) coming in a close third (though they seem to modify the image somewhat). The Mpix w/ 'proper' profiling was much more yellow and darker, and the costco printer came in very magenta and darker. Costco gets used by many Austin pros (based on some pros I know), though some are drifting away and using Mpix or WHCC. Bottom line, how much printer to printer variance should one expect to see when using printer profiles? Should they be within 100K of each other? The variance I'm getting is more like 250-400K.
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Each printer uses different substraights, colorants (ink, toner etc) and as such have differing color gamuts. You need a good ICC profile for each printer to even think of getting close results. And process control is critical for consistency for many of the devices you mention. The Epson is going to be the most stable and consistent of the printers mentioned! You still need good profiles and their quality varies (and many of the devices you mention are used by some labs that demand you use sRGB instead of an actual profile so forget about those).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Each printer uses different substraights, colorants (ink, toner etc) and as such have differing color gamuts. You need a good ICC profile for each printer to even think of getting close results. And process control is critical for consistency for many of the devices you mention. The Epson is going to be the most stable and consistent of the printers mentioned! You still need good profiles and their quality varies (and many of the devices you mention are used by some labs that demand you use sRGB instead of an actual profile so forget about those).

But for using the ICC profiles for each, the variations from red-cast to yellow-cast were pretty significant, which is what was baffling. The costco profile was very recently updated (early 2009). Is the moral of the story that the technical flow (profiling all around) only gets you so far, then one needs to adjust for one's preferred print house (assuming they are consistently shifted one way or another)?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    But for using the ICC profiles for each, the variations from red-cast to yellow-cast were pretty significant, which is what was baffling. The costco profile was very recently updated (early 2009). Is the moral of the story that the technical flow (profiling all around) only gets you so far, then one needs to adjust for one's preferred print house (assuming they are consistently shifted one way or another)?

There's a lot of variables. The profiles could just stink. The lab may not have used them. The lab may have used differing rendering intents. Different profile packages will provide different results with a perceptual rendering (vendor A's profile to the same device as vendor B's will appear different). The printers are not calibrated and the profile isn't defining the RGB values correctly due to poor process control.

Profiling will get you only so far, but YOU have to control the entire process before you can decide the success or failure of the profiles and the printing systems. You can have a perfect profile and the lab could have their chemistry off and there goes the color.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Thanks!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site