#29 Possible Entry

JC3dJC3d Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited July 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi All,
Been at Smugmug for a year but this is my first post and first contest.
I would appreciate comment, thoughts, etc.
590559405_wARXi-L-2.jpg
I Am a Rock

I am a rock, I am an island...
Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks, John

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    This is awesome.... I love it.. and so creative too... wow..clap.gif

However, I almost missed the face that you integrated into the rock. I would take it into PS and under Image> Adjustments> Shadow/Highlight work with the shadows and other adjustment sliders under that tool, just to pull that face out a bit more for impact, not too much, just a little....

Very strong entry, well done.....thumb.gif

Kat
  • JC3dJC3d Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Thanks Kat
    I hit enter too soon and sent it before writing anything!

I wanted the face to be subtle. You think it is too subtle?

John
    edited July 14, 2009
    Hey John,

Well ya know how this goes right? once you notice the face and it is pointed out to you, then you see it every time.. The thing is that I did not notice it the first two times I came in to look at the entry..hmm.. I agree 100% that it needs to "stay" subtle so that it does not take on a PS look. SO perhaps you can work with the dodge tool on a very light tolerance like 1 or 2% and just lightly bring out the white in the eye (OR) enhance the catch light in the eye or something like that to lead our eyes to notice the face?

Or just leave it as is, and see what others say.. The problem is they are probably going to pick it off right away now that I mentioned it, After all, now that I know it is there, I see it every time and just fine too..headscratch.gifD

Kat
    edited July 14, 2009
    Another image - same song
    591502430_GwNbE-L-1.jpg

What do you think of this one?
    edited July 15, 2009
    Variation on the first image
    591558177_4C7MX-L-1.jpg

Different face.
    edited July 15, 2009
    JC3d wrote:
    591558177_4C7MX-L-1.jpg

Different face.

----

Definitely this one John.. Awesome Job...thumb.gif

The face fits better and the catch lights in the eyes really pull us into the face..

Already on my personal fav list....
    A Very Strong Entry; Very Competitive..wings.gif

Nice!!!!thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    ----

Definitely this one John.. Awesome Job...thumb.gif

The face fits better and the catch lights in the eyes really pull us into the face..

15524779-Ti.gif with Kat.

Very nice entry. thumb.gif I'm glad you worked on it to bring out the face. It's the "icing on the cake" so to speak. Believe it or not, it was not visible at all on this monitor until now. ne_nau.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    This is really cool! Would there be any opportunity to go back and reshoot? If so, I would opt for a longer exposure so that the running water is smoother. A polarizer could be useful as well if you haven't already tried using one. Also, play with the crop a bit or if you can reshoot, get some in closer and some farther back and see what you like.

Good luck! thumb.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • frollerfroller Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    I agree with kat on the improvement of the eyes, they make a big diff from the first. Very good picture. clap.gif Though the contrast of color stands out from the waterfall nicely, something seems to blend the face in with the busy water. Perhaps a longer exposure to smooth the falls in contrast the the boulder would help if this is possible. Great picture non the less, got me exploring the whole scene.
    Fred

"Only those who can see the invisible can accomplish the impossible."
    edited July 15, 2009
    More water motion
    A few more masks and some motion blur in PS. Is this more what you were thinking?
    592403767_B3aCC-L.jpg

Thanks for the input. John
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    John, you're getting there but you might want to try an even longer exposure. 30+ seconds? Go over to SmugMug and search Waterfalls to get a feel for what others have done and what their exposure time was. You've got a great concept here but just not reaching that WOW level yet. Of course take all of this with a grain of salt, it's just one persons' opinion. thumb.gif
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited July 16, 2009
    HI John,

I agree with Kevin... Either go with the non-motion shot as it holds its own character with the motion stop. Or go re-shoot with a long exposure to give us that streaming soft white water.. This PS layering for motion is always detectable and it just does not look natural, it gives it more of a feeling of "camera shake". I have seen this pulled off with other images and it can look awesome, but really tough to pull off with water...

I will PM you the method out of Scott Kelby's book,
    perhaps that will help some..thumb.gif

Kat