Metering question?

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited July 17, 2009 in Technique
So I was out shooting yesterday evening and a question came up...

what part does that camera meter from, the center or the active focal point? I never thought of that before and my hunch is the center but I want to check.

thanks!

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    what part does that camera meter from, the center or the active focal point? I never thought of that before and my hunch is the center but I want to check.
    It depends on the shooting mode that you're using and what metering mode that you're using. I believe the focal points is different than the metering points. Even though this post is canon specific, this is a good blog read on metering.

Remember, if you're shooting in manual mode, the camera metering is ignored. In camera meter only comes to play with the auto modes or semi-auto modes.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    I understand metering types, but even in M, it still takes a reading and serves as a guide right?

So say for spot metering, I pick my aperture, then I want to choose my shutter speed but want to expose for a particular subject...but that subject happens to be on a focal point on the right of the frame, it wouldn't use the area that is selected for focus, it used the center of the frame. So I would want to move my camera over to center the subject, adjust my exposure to my liking based on the reading then recompose is what i'm thinking
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    I understand metering types, but even in M, it still takes a reading and serves as a guide right?

So say for spot metering, I pick my aperture, then I want to choose my shutter speed but want to expose for a particular subject...but that subject happens to be on a focal point on the right of the frame, it wouldn't use the area that is selected for focus, it used the center of the frame. So I would want to move my camera over to center the subject, adjust my exposure to my liking based on the reading then recompose is what i'm thinking

yes.....spot metering is normally of the circle of the center of the viewfinder......center weighted considers everything in the VF but uses more of the center part to make the reading..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    It depends on the shooting mode that you're using and what metering mode that you're using. I believe the focal points is different than the metering points. Even though this post is canon specific, this is a good blog read on metering.

Remember, if you're shooting in manual mode, the camera metering is ignored. In camera meter only comes to play with the auto modes or semi-auto modes.

It does meter in manual. It just doesn't change anything respect to the metering. You have to adjust yourself is all.

The metering is spot, center weighted and matrix. Spot is always at the center. Center weighted is motly center and matrix metering is wide area coverage that also uses some sophisticated scene recognition SW to compare what is in the frame and some common metering. I use matrix almost exclusively.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    It does meter in manual. It just doesn't change anything respect to the metering. You have to adjust yourself is all.

The metering is spot, center weighted and matrix. Spot is always at the center. Center weighted is motly center and matrix metering is wide area coverage that also uses some sophisticated scene recognition SW to compare what is in the frame and some common metering. I use matrix almost exclusively.

I was wondering when you were going to join the conversation!!

I figured it was based on the center for spot, but after changing my focal point I wondered for a moment whether it would meter based on where that was.

Thanks again guys!
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Don't forget about the AE-L/AF-L button (well, that's what it is on the D300 anyhow). You can point the camera at your subject, press the shutter halfway to get your focus and exposure set, then hold AE-L/AF-L to lock the focus and exposure while you recompose the shot. Just be sure not to move backwards or forwards since your focus is locked.

Additionally, with most Nikons, you could use a single focus point, and set it off-center. Metering would still be in the center I believe though. How often you'd want to focus off-center, but meter on the center I'm not sure, but it could be done.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800