5D2 failures

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited July 16, 2009 in Cameras
Today was the first time when I encountered a very strange error on my - yet very young - 5DMarkII.
Camera went into "writing images" mode, and got stuck there.

First time I didn't notice it at first and accumulated 9 frames, which all got lost. In about an hour or less it happened again, but this time only with one frame.

First time the camera was on AC power. I replaced it with the battery. Second time it was on a battery, which was low, but not too low. I replaced it with a freshly charged one and completed the shoot.

Also I was shooting tethered, with Canon EOS Utility on the other end of 15ft USB cable. In addition to the aforementioned errors, utility itself stopped working 2-3 time and I had to close and restart it.

None of these ever happened before.

Now I am really worried. I was lucky enough to have a "lazy" shoot in which I could check almost every frame. During the wedding, or fashion show, or reenactment, some other dynamic event I can often go for dozens of frames without checking.

Anybody encountered this behaviour? What could cause this? :scratch
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    I did not experience this problem before. I would probably start and check
    the CF cards with a good disk testing program (windows and osx disk utilities
    are worthless here). If there is no error I would call up canon / your dealer so
    they know about it .. its always good to leave a trail of information, which
    you might be able to use to your advantage later in case you need to
    replace/repair your camera.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Did this happen in all cases while tethered? If so my 2 cents says it is most likely your USB cable, which in my experience have a huge failure rate.

I have had lots of issues that resolve when I replace a USB cable, from drives that won't mount to weirdo error messages.

I have also found that these fail with no indications, or even clear reasons. I haven't looked for particular brands, having used the overwhelming number of small USB cables that seem to collect, but universally they seem to be the worst made cables on the planet.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Did this happen in all cases while tethered? If so my 2 cents says it is most likely your USB cable, which in my experience have a huge failure rate.

I have had lots of issues that resolve when I replace a USB cable, from drives that won't mount to weirdo error messages.

I have also found that these fail with no indications, or even clear reasons. I haven't looked for particular brands, having used the overwhelming number of small USB cables that seem to collect, but universally they seem to be with worst made cables on the planet.

Yeah, that might be the case.... It may not be even its direct fault - over the few months I have been using it I stepped on it countless times, effectily pulling it out of the socket, so the amount of abuse on that long skinny guy was ginormous.

Well, I'll pay extra attention to that. Thanks! thumb.gif
    edited July 15, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I did not experience this problem before. I would probably start and check
    the CF cards with a good disk testing program (windows and osx disk utilities
    are worthless here). If there is no error I would call up canon / your dealer so
    they know about it .. its always good to leave a trail of information, which
    you might be able to use to your advantage later in case you need to
    replace/repair your camera.
    I thought about that, even though I too tend to blame the USB cable first. Do you know any good tool for that off the top of your head?
    edited July 15, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I thought about that, even though I too tend to blame the USB cable first. Do you know any good tool for that off the top of your head?

Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
    I don't know a good tool for OSX, but you can try to "repair" the Disk using DiskUtility" but I'm not sure if it can handle FAT as well as HFS.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited July 15, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
    I don't know a good tool for OSX, but you can try to "repair" the Disk using DiskUtility" but I'm not sure if it can handle FAT as well as HFS.
    CHKDSK, huh.. lol.. Gosh, it's been a while since I ran this baby last time... 15 years ago, if not more rolleyes1.gif
    OK, ran it through with /F /R keys... No errors.... I think it's cable...
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    I'd definitely say cable then card. Let us know what you find out!!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
    edited July 15, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    I'd definitely say cable then card. Let us know what you find out!!
    Ordered new cables from monoprice. Four, actually, just in case - at those prices shipping is still more:-)
    Will report new incidents should they happen...
    edited July 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    CHKDSK, huh.. lol.. Gosh, it's been a while since I ran this baby last time... 15 years ago, if not more rolleyes1.gif
    OK, ran it through with /F /R keys... No errors.... I think it's cable...
    :Dthumb.gif
    ― Edward Weston