Digital Downloads

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited September 2, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
This is the first time I will be offering digital download and Im not sure which resolution to offer.

What I have done is placed a boarder and logo using an action to the photos. Somewhere along the line of setting these actions up a long time ago, i must have set up to resize the image.
So my normal size photos ( around 6mb ) with the boarder and logos are a different size I noticed when I downloaded them to the gallery ( now 1.7mb to 2mb).

Which is fine as long as the file they are purchasing will still be good for email, facebook, etc.. viewing only.

Can someone check the files in this gallery and tell me which one to offer ?

The gallery is here
exposed-images.smugmug.com/gallery/8917455_oBsCG

Thanks

I originally posted in smugmug support and realized I posted in the wrong thread. Can someone delete that post for me.
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Pamela wrote:
    Can someone check the files in this gallery and tell me which one to offer ?

The gallery is here
    exposed-images.smugmug.com/gallery/8917455_oBsCG

The gallery is password protected.
    Steve

Website
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    sorry, the password is - owensstover
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
    edited July 15, 2009
    You currently have the downloads for original size which will allow them to be printed or used on the web. Your file size is not shown. The easiest way is to set the gallery for the 1mp file and 4mp file and log out of your site to see if they are big enough.

I know that it is easier to upload the full size and just simply zero out the original size option.
    Steve

Website
    edited July 15, 2009
    In the original post I mentioned that the size files I have in that gallery are 1.6mb to 2.0mb.
    My concern is , do I set up the downloads to original, 1mb or 4mb size?
    What size download will give them good quality for web, email and not good enough for printing?

I can turn exif info if needed.
    Thanks
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
    edited July 15, 2009
    The 1mb will serve the web just fine. It won't allow good prints.
    Steve

Website
    edited July 15, 2009
    Thank you!
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Want to be sure about this...
    The 1mb will serve the web just fine. It won't allow good prints.

If something is 1000x1000 pixels wouldn't it allow at least 4x6 or some such? What I would like to do is offer people the opportunity for screen savers free so that if they like it so much they can buy something...sort of a 'loss leader' - the 1mp size seems to me too huge unless the dpi is limited.

How do I set this up??? Thanks.
    Victoria L. Herring
    http://www.JourneyZing.com
    Customized travel research and planning
    Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
    Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    vlherring wrote:
    If something is 1000x1000 pixels wouldn't it allow at least 4x6 or some such? What I would like to do is offer people the opportunity for screen savers free so that if they like it so much they can buy something...sort of a 'loss leader' - the 1mp size seems to me too huge unless the dpi is limited.

How do I set this up??? Thanks.
    DPI is meaningless in this case, pixels are pixels.

With the average monitor at or exceeding 1024x768 (less than 1mp) there isn't an easy way to offer "screen saver" images that can't be printed (Smugmug lists the "minimum" resolution for an 11x14 (!!) as 1024x768).

The only way to offer (free) files that size while discouraging self printing is with a watermark.
  • vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    DPI is meaningless in this case, pixels are pixels.

With the average monitor at or exceeding 1024x768 (less than 1mp) there isn't an easy way to offer "screen saver" images that can't be printed (Smugmug lists the "minimum" resolution for an 11x14 (!!) as 1024x768).

The only way to offer (free) files that size while discouraging self printing is with a watermark.

Thankyou...that is helpful and I appreciate it...I'm still learning ref watermarks etc.

ps - does that mean I can assume all downloads shoudl be in separate gallery and watermarked by me in the original because the watermark by SM in the normal gallery is deleted with printing [and I assume in downloads]
    Victoria L. Herring
    http://www.JourneyZing.com
    Customized travel research and planning
    Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
    Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com