Nasty Shmutz on 40D Sensor

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited July 16, 2009 in Cameras
It's true ~ at least two round spots and what looks like a tiny hair in one of my 40Ds, which I noticed a couple of evenings ago at a beach shoot (oh, shoot!). I thought auto sensor-cleaning would put an end to this.

I don't even know if there's a manual sensor-cleaning mode in the 40D.

Any thoughts or suggestions while I call Canon?

Comments

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    It's true ~ at least two round spots and what looks like a tiny hair in one of my 40Ds, which I noticed a couple of evenings ago at a beach shoot (oh, shoot!). I thought auto sensor-cleaning would put an end to this.

I don't even know if there's a manual sensor-cleaning mode in the 40D.

Any thoughts or suggestions while I call Canon?

OK- got the buggers. A very nice fellow named Mike at Canon told me to go to manual sensor-cleaning (yes, there it is), and while pointing the camera downwards, use a hurricane bulb and give a few blasts - w/o touching anything, of course. I had to repeat this 3 times, but it worked. Aiming the open camera downwards seems to be key - blasting the debris down and out.

Saved myself a trip to the service center.

Plus, those folks at Canon sure are *nice.*
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    OK- got the buggers. A very nice fellow named Mike at Canon told me to go to manual sensor-cleaning (yes, there it is), and while pointing the camera downwards, use a hurricane bulb and give a few blasts - w/o touching anything, of course. I had to repeat this 3 times, but it worked. Aiming the open camera downwards seems to be key - blasting the debris down and out.

Saved myself a trip to the service center.

Plus, those folks at Canon sure are *nice.*
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 15, 2009
    I love a happy ending. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I love a happy ending. thumb.gif

Me too.

Sara, 1;
    Gadgets, 0

(at least for today rolleyes1.gif)

Actually, I also won a two-day war with the installation of my new surfboard racks this morning (could not for the life of me figure out where the little clampy thing fit - sometimes you gotta look past the obvious).

Anyway, new score: Sara, 2; gadgets 0. :ivar
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Anyway, new score: Sara, 2; gadgets 0. :ivar
    I also like a happy ending.

As for the score - I write software so I think I have the experience to offer a qualified opinion with respect to gadgets!:D You understand that gadgets are the devil's minions and that they are just laying in wait .... waiting for you to drop your guard and then they'll pounce all over you. Happens to me every day.deal.gif