Rotted-Out 1912 Top Fuel Class Dragster

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited July 17, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
592371814_q7TMb-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Gee Tom a few replacement parts, and some elbow grease, a coat of paint and she'll be ready for the Concourse d'Elegance :D

Lovin that rust.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Hey Jack,

Yea, it was all the rust that attracted me to this thing. The more I looked at it, though, the more I saw the characteristics of a modern Top Fuel dragster......long wheel base, huge rear wheels, skinny and small front wheels. My wife said my imagination was too active. She's probably right.

Take care, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Good job Tom...The colors really pop.......What do you think, one or two horse power.....?? azzaro
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Good job Tom...The colors really pop.......What do you think, one or two horse power.....?? azzaro

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I'm speechless rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Did they use wood back then in building the cars?
    edited July 16, 2009
    Hey Azzaro,

Man, looking at the speed potential of this thing, it had to be at least a two HP version.....heck, it might have even been a 4 or 6 HP model. That thing was built to fly. I'm sure no kid on his bike could hang with it.

Take care,

Tom
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    You can tell by the width of the rear wheels that this thing was built for the strip. Also note that aerodynamics were of extreme importance due to the low-slung front end and rear spoiler!
    Travis
    edited July 16, 2009
    Hey Travis,

I can see you picked right up on all the trick speed features this thing has. Pretty sharp eye on your part. No question about it, this baby was a real stormer.

Tom
    edited July 16, 2009
    Hey Mary Kim,

Only the really fast cars used wood back then....light weight being the key goal. As fast as this thing probably was, I'm surprised it wasn't all wood. :D:D:D .

See ya,

Tom
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Had to be the rare 6HP model. If you look down the frame rail you can clearly see it is bent. Takes a lot of torque to make that happen. Looking at the track bar on the steering wheels you can also see it is bent. This means the front wheels were lifted off the ground a few dozen times. Not likely a wheel stand but some high speeds down the strip for sure. :D

Good find! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Hey Mary Kim,

Only the really fast cars used wood back then....light weight being the key goal. As fast as this thing probably was, I'm surprised it wasn't all wood. :D:D:D .

See ya,

Tom

I learned something new...never knew they made cars with wood :D Thanks for the information as I find this very interesting.
    edited July 16, 2009
    Hey Aaron,

Man, you really picked up on some very salient details.....ones that had gotten right by me. The evidence grows that this was one very capable machine. I'm convinced now that it is, indeed, the rare 6HP model. I'm nigh on to giddy with delight in having found the thing.

Thanks for your learned input,

Tom
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    A few other details I thought were important:

Note the groove down the center of each wheel. This very advanced machine was obviously road testing prototype "aqua-tread" tires. The secure handling, though, was ultimately not enough for this high-horsepower monster.

Something I missed seeing before is the front spoiler bracket. Notice the narrow metal bracket protruding from the front of this beast. This would have, no doubt, been made of a light-weight composite wood capable of withstanding head-on livestock collisions.

Lastly, do I detect a hint of gold in those rims? As we all know, wire spoked rims are definitely a status symbol and this machine was obviously top of the line. Given there's a cotter pin on the end of the axel I would also venture a guess that, while on the street, this baby sported a set of spinners (rooster-shaped maybe?).
    Travis
    edited July 17, 2009
    HOLY MOLY!!! Spinners. What a sight this thing must have been. Every farmer around had to race to secure his livestock when this beast took to the road.

Great job, Travis, on your latest observations.

Tom
  • junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    note the trash picker upper
    Even back in those days they needed to pick up trash on the track. did all the dragsters do that or just this one??ne_nau.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I like rust!

Great find Tom thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited July 17, 2009
    Hey junglejim,

I'm not sure they all did it but this one seems to have developed a knack for it. Keen eye you have.

Tom
    edited July 17, 2009
    Hi Randy,

I saw.....actually, I hunted down......so much rust on this trip that I got rust poison. The only way to treat that affliction is to head to the nearest cantina and guzzle all the tequila you can possibly hold. I'm proud to say I'm a cured man now.

See ya,

Tom
    edited July 17, 2009
    FLASH!! FLASH!!!

Confirming evidence has emerged that this is most certainly the prized 6HP model. Note the 40 tooth drive sprocket....notorious in its day....which was applied to the 6HP version only. No small wonder that this thing really hauled butt.

593850917_9UqrM-XL.jpg