Guitar Guy C&C Please

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited July 23, 2009 in People
Here's one I can post of the photo shoot I did for my class assignment.

Since it doesn't really show the person I can post it and hopefully get some C&C'S

Full blown image X3 592472882_mm5QK-M.jpg

I was working with a canon SXI, 430 II speelite flash "with a plus 2 meter on the flash it self" and the meter on the camera was pegged to the left at 45 shutter speed, You can see his hand moving really fast with the blur on the fret board.

Anyways C&C is welcomed.

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Huh?
    You can show a photograph with a person in it.

You can't sell or a photograph with a person in it on your commercial website without a model release - always a good idea to have even if you aren't professional.

As for C & C - the lighting is a little bright/harsh for my taste. Hard to talk about composition with a headless person in the picture.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    You make my screen seem so small. Seriously though resize it.

You asked for C&C and so I'm not going to go easy on you. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the picture needs a lot of help.
    • What's the subject of the photo supposed to be? His hand? The guitar?
    • The lighting isn't helping the photo at all. You really need to get it off camera and soften it. Get a pc cable if your camera supports it. Get a hotshoe to pc adapter and a pc cable if it doesn't. Go ahead and buy a long one. It's worth the extra price. As for softening, bounce it off a sheet of paper if you have to.
    • The background is horribly distracting.
    • I will give you points on using the rule of thirds. At least you didn't stick him square in the middle of the image.
    Again, I don't want this to sound mean. I want you to get better. If you were in Atlanta I'd love to spend some time with you. PM me and I'll give you some ideas of how to work with your current setup.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    There is no need to blow such an image to X3 derek. I can't say much about the photo..it doesn't say anything to me.

But I was intrigued at your dutch oven website that you linked on this photography board. Unfortunately the FAQ section was blank. I then checked your discussion forum which also had no threads? In desperation I clicked through your articles, downloads, and weblinks..all blank! headscratch.gif Derek, I really don't think it is nice to tease us about dutch ovens with a site that is not ready yet.ne_nau.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    whiteagle, Thank you for being totally honest, I'm so glad there is people still out there that's totally honest.

With that being set,

* What's the subject of the photo supposed to be? His hand? The guitar?
    Both actually, It's a symbolic gesture, and musical creativity between man & machine, Yes a guitar is a form of a machine.

* The lighting isn't helping the photo at all. You really need to get it off camera and soften it. Get a pc cable if your camera supports it. Get a hotshoe to pc adapter and a pc cable if it doesn't. Go ahead and buy a long one. It's worth the extra price. As for softening, bounce it off a sheet of paper if you have to.
    Oh, I was bouncing the light off the sealing so there wouldn't be any harsh on the detail parts example, the wood grain, strings, knobs, so on!

* The background is horribly distracting.
    I'm sorry about that but I'm a photographer that is a purist and only does a little touch up in a dry darkroom.

* I will give you points on using the rule of thirds. At least you didn't stick him square in the middle of the image.

Laughing.gif, that's a newb mistake, I've been taking a black & white photography class and I'm still learning so much , it's mind boggling.

Again, I don't want this to sound mean. I want you to get better. If you were in Atlanta I'd love to spend some time with you. PM me and I'll give you some ideas of how to work with your current setup. Thanks mate, I live in Michigan and I'm busy with my classes, By the way your not being mean what so ever, Your giving me some hard facts & tips I can learn in the field.

By the way let me stress this again, I've been using a dry darkroom to turn my black & white negs into color photo's so I will have to use the dodge & burn tools in photoshop.

Qarik, I'm sorry for the big let down, but I've been extremely busy with college life and making friends.

The web site will most likely like updated in the dead of winter when I can slow down and have some time to spend on it.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Im invoking my "no scrolling" rule here and electing offer only this tip:

Please post images that do not require scrolling to be seen in their entirety. How can an image be critiqued if you cannot see it whole?ne_nau.gif
    edited July 23, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Im invoking my "no scrolling" rule here and electing offer only this tip:

Please post images that do not require scrolling to be seen in their entirety. How can an image be critiqued if you cannot see it whole?ne_nau.gif
    Ok, I've made the image smaller and I've used the medium format!

cheers
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I am okay with the composition, but the background is really distracting. The lighting as previously mentioned is also harsh.

Thanks for shrinking it!
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Regarding the light: It seems clear that while you may have had your flash in a "bounce" position, there is plenty of direct light falling on the subject as evidenced by the hard shadows and the glaring specular highlight on the guitar. Next time try turning your flash all the way around so that absolutely no light is going directly forward and hitting your subject. This includes light cast directly forward from a diffusion dome or similar device. You'll find that the light appears much softer as the entire ceiling/wall area that it's pointed at becomes the light source.

Not that hard light is inherently bad, mind you... it can be great, but usually you need to get it off camera to make it work.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Chile Chef,

Comment is on par with everyone else. It is just a snapshot. (not to be mean). As a starting point always try to get your light source off to a 45 degree angle. The only way to get better is to post and ask for CC and have a thick skin. The comments are only made to help.
    edited July 23, 2009
    Thank you for the C&C's everyone.

By the way Hackbone, My black & white photography teacher is teaching us how to accept C&C'S and being judged in the class as photographers. By the way I'm getting a flash hood soon.