Options

Olympic Mountains

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited July 21, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are a few of the shots I got from the Olympic Mountains. Enjoy!

591807069_TsAex-XL-1.jpg

592464169_Lccsm-XL-1.jpg

592476634_bwbmk-XL-1.jpg

The full-size version of this panorama is 93 megapixels!

Comments

• Options
    dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    #3 is beautiful; it has all the Washington weather, sun, rain, and snow :)
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    #2 is incredible. The purple flowers aginst the green grass and deer; all against that fabulous bg is absolutely breathtaking bowdown.gifbowdown.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

Dan
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    The first is my favorite, great back lighting on those lupines and I like the diagonal horizon. And I don't even see any lens flare!

The second would be absolutely perfect if the deer was shifted over a little to the right (maybe you should have thrown some tomatoes in that direction?). Nice post processing getting some decent colors out of a fairly subtle sunrise.

I think the last one would look better bigger, great drama in the skies showing the impending rain/lightening storm.
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Holy moly, Dan! These are terrific! I agree with Ron, the first shot is beautifully captured with great lighting on the FG lupine and masterful control of exposure. My favorite, however, is the 3rd shot. I really like the pano crop and the play of shadows and light on the mountain tops. thumb.gifclap.gif As for #2, that one is gorgeous too. Looks like you and Ron kicked some major photographic ass up there! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    wow, i don't know which I could choose. The lighting in the first is gorgeous, the second has the mountains, wildlife, flowers but the third has the stunning view. they are very beautiful!
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    dustin32 wrote:
    #3 is beautiful; it has all the Washington weather, sun, rain, and snow :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    #2 is incredible. The purple flowers aginst the green grass and deer; all against that fabulous bg is absolutely breathtaking bowdown.gifbowdown.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

Dan

Thanks for your comment, Dan. The deer kept moving around and seemed pretty oblivious to my presence until I tried to position myself for a more pleasing composition. I never did get the shot I was hoping for but I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    The first is my favorite, great back lighting on those lupines and I like the diagonal horizon. And I don't even see any lens flare!

The second would be absolutely perfect if the deer was shifted over a little to the right (maybe you should have thrown some tomatoes in that direction?). Nice post processing getting some decent colors out of a fairly subtle sunrise.

I think the last one would look better bigger, great drama in the skies showing the impending rain/lightening storm.

I actually have a few shots where I was looking into the sun with minimal lens flare. Most were pretty bad though.

I really wished the deer would cooperate but there isn't much that can be done about that (other than have some tomatoes prepared for such an occasion). It was pretty touch processing the sky in this shot but I think it's pretty close to what we actually saw. Would you agree?

The last shot looks great on my computer, packing its 93 megapixels. Again, we were pretty lucky to get that kind of weather.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Holy moly, Dan! These are terrific! I agree with Ron, the first shot is beautifully captured with great lighting on the FG lupine and masterful control of exposure. My favorite, however, is the 3rd shot. I really like the pano crop and the play of shadows and light on the mountain tops. thumb.gifclap.gif As for #2, that one is gorgeous too. Looks like you and Ron kicked some major photographic ass up there! :D

Thank you very much! We had a very successful trip and I'm hoping to get back out there again soon. There's just so much to see.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    wow, i don't know which I could choose. The lighting in the first is gorgeous, the second has the mountains, wildlife, flowers but the third has the stunning view. they are very beautiful!

I'm glad you like them! I was lucky to have some cooperative weather that allowed for me to get a bunch of different shots while up there.
  • Options
    RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Nice! Talk about motivating the Seattlites to get out there and do some shooting. These are very well done and definitely of book quality.

Now excuse me while I go plan a weekend excursion to all the nearby parks :D
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    The first one is just about perfect. Backlit flowers FTW :ivar
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I actually have a few shots where I was looking into the sun with minimal lens flare. Most were pretty bad though.

I really wished the deer would cooperate but there isn't much that can be done about that (other than have some tomatoes prepared for such an occasion). It was pretty touch processing the sky in this shot but I think it's pretty close to what we actually saw. Would you agree?

The last shot looks great on my computer, packing its 93 megapixels. Again, we were pretty lucky to get that kind of weather.

I would agree, but I think the unicorn was a little excessive, glad you decided to keep your integrity and update the final photo :D Anyway yeah the sky is accurate. I think I'm going to stop using GND filters for these uneven horizons of more or less static landscapes and just bracket appropriately.
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Nice trio of shots. I have to agree with the others, the first shot is the winner. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I agree with everyone else, I like the first one thumb.gif
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Great colors and clarity on all these shots. really enjoy your compositions
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Robbug wrote:
    Nice! Talk about motivating the Seattlites to get out there and do some shooting. These are very well done and definitely of book quality.

Now excuse me while I go plan a weekend excursion to all the nearby parks :D

I don't think you need much motivation. You just got back from a month-long road trip, did you not? bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    The first one is just about perfect. Backlit flowers FTW :ivar

Thanks! This was definitely some nice lighting.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Nice trio of shots. I have to agree with the others, the first shot is the winner. thumb.gif

Thanks for your comment!
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:
    Great colors and clarity on all these shots. really enjoy your compositions

Thanks, Doug! It's hard not to get a good shot in Olympic National Park when you have a couple of chances to shoot at sunrise and sunset. It's such a beautiful place.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Great series. The first is my favorite. The light on the flowers is fantastic!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 20, 2009
    Beautiful shot, Danny. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Beautifully done. I particularly like the first one with the impeccable lighting and perspective. Makes me want to hop onto the ferry and head over to appreciate Hurricane Ridge in person, as it has been years since I have been out there.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great series. The first is my favorite. The light on the flowers is fantastic!

Thank you. The light in every direction was incredible that night. I just had to pick a composition and go with it.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Beautiful shot, Danny. thumb.gif
    Thank you!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    dls wrote:
    Beautifully done. I particularly like the first one with the impeccable lighting and perspective. Makes me want to hop onto the ferry and head over to appreciate Hurricane Ridge in person, as it has been years since I have been out there.

It's definitely worth the effort. I hadn't been over there for years but I was very glad I decided to go. I definitely came home with some keepers.