Houston Skyline Panorama - 525 megapixels

custommindscustomminds Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited July 18, 2009 in Landscapes
new to the forum. just showing off my first pano i did the other night.

http://www.customminds.com/houston

give me some feedback please!

Michael

Comments

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    That's really cool! What kind of computer does it take to handle a file of this size?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 16, 2009
    I think you're on to something here and this has promise. Since you asked, I have two comments.

1) The technology is lost on the scene. Being a night shot like this, 90% of the shot is blocked-up shadows. Completely uninteresting. Much better to shoot during the day assuming there is stuff to look at. (If not, then pick another vantage point where there is.)

2) The flash viewer, in a word, sucks. I have a 24" wide screen monitor, 1920 pixels wide. First thing I did was maximize my browser (firefox), and the viewer stays the same size. eek7.gif It only uses half of my screen real estate which is silly. I'm certain I've seen better gigapixel viewers than this.

Keep experimenting!

And hey, welcome to Dgrin!!
    -joel
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Yes, welcome to Dgrin! Joel makes some excellent points above and I completely agree with his comments. Your pano is fantastic, but I think you could probably afford to lose some of it from the sides, particularly the left side, which is mostly very dark. Great effort, however, and I'm sure it looks much, much better printed or viewed at a larger screen size. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin Michael. This is a great first impression...a veritable galaxy of Meunch Stars. I can't help thinking how absolutely awesome this would be when applied to some of the wonderful landscapes coming to us from some of the western mountain states. Looking forward to seeing more from you. clap.gifclap

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • custommindscustomminds Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Thank you
    dseidman - Thank you very much. actually it was my poor poor laptop that compiled it. took about 15 minutes to compile, but another 9 hours to mess around with it.

kdog & thapamd - i agree on both points. #1, you are right. i think the middle of the photo is all i need from this. #2, you are also correct. I have had mixed results from people. usually the low bandwidth (less technology) people like it, the people with fast connections and large monitors do not. unfortunately the program did not let me expand the column and height to a %, but rather a pixel width. I'll play around with a few other programs to see if i can fix this for you next time. :-)

Jack - Thank you for the warm reception! Now that I have used my ace, I now have to figure out what I need to do to keep the status quo. :-)
  • TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Cool. I'd like to see it in the day time for sure!
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    looks like one of those "Gigapan" images. did you shoot it manually, or using one of the Gigapan "robots"? aside from the curiosity factor, there's clearly a point beyond which added resolution is wasted for any practical print purposes. what on earth would one do with a pano this size? i agree about the darkness - there are probably much more picturesque places - even in Houston - to get shots in daylight that would be more impressive at this size. but the concept is pretty cool.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Very impressive! thumb.gifA sunrise or sunset shot would be pretty cool to try. It might be a nice compromise to a night time shot.

What kind of computer did you process this on? eek7.gif At that file size mine would be putting up the white flag.
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I think this is pretty neat. I spent a few minutes zoomed in looking around. It goes to show, though, how bad light pollution can be :(
    You caught the bright stars with some start trailing. With that, I agree with the crop idea for display. As to print - now that may be impressive. Might be something to look into - a nice roll print :D

Edit: ROFL - thats your watermark not star-trailing. Ha shows I need to spend a bit more time looking before opening mouth. On a second look the detail is superb. I feel like a peeping tom looking into some of those apartments :D
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
    edited July 17, 2009
    Easter Egg Hunt
    http://www.customminds.com/houston/easter
    (different link)

I turned it into a 'where's waldo' game with easter eggs hidden in the photo. 9 to be exact.

enjoy! :-)

tjdiv - Thanks! will do for sure!

squirl033 - i did it all manually (well taking the photos..).. stitching was done with adobe ps cs4. i'll make sure i do a daylight one next

richtersl - thank you very much. its a 2 year old dell laptop. nothing special

robbug - hahahahahha, all good!
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I personally like the second crop that is posted keep them coming..
    edited July 18, 2009
    Jonnyyaya wrote:
    I personally like the second crop that is posted keep them coming..

Thanks Jonnyyayal! I will!