Canon 35mm 1.4L or 50mm 1.2L?

keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited July 23, 2009 in Cameras
I have a wedding coming up and want to expand into fast primes, I'm kinda torn between these two lenses. I've thought about the 85mm 1.2L, but I think it's a bit narrow. Does anyone have experience of both the 50 and the 35? The lens will be used between a 5D2 and a 1D3 body.

I think I'm after: (1) some really nice bokeh, and (2) versatility. :scratch
Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I have a wedding coming up and want to expand into fast primes, I'm kinda torn between these two lenses. I've thought about the 85mm 1.2L, but I think it's a bit narrow. Does anyone have experience of both the 50 and the 35? The lens will be used between a 5D2 and a 1D3 body.

I think I'm after: (1) some really nice bokeh, and (2) versatility. headscratch.gif

I have 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.2 and LOVE both. Can't beat 85mm for portraits and bokah. 35 is awesome for getting close and keeping context and compositional options. i have a 50mm f/1.4 which is definitely not as sharp as the L lenses when wide open.

I love the 85 for available light.

There, I don't think I've told you anything you didn't know.
    If not now, when?
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    One lens
    I canshoot with the 50 1.2 all day and night. If I could have only one lens that would be it. I used it for much of the wedding I did last week other than for the ceremony.

I have used the 85 1.2 and it's probably my next lens and a 24 or 35 prime after that.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 16, 2009

I think I'm after: (1) some really nice bokeh, and (2) versatility. headscratch.gif

In order to choose a lens for the wedding you have to consider your distance from the subjects as well as the intent of the image. As Rutt already mentioned you may choose between context and a wide composition through to an intimate view of the bride alone. There is often room for many different views to yield a different story.

When you mention "versatility", primes may not be a very complete solution. Ideally, you would avail yourself a fairly broad lens assortment and choose according to the shot list or opportunity.

The wedding rehearsal is normally the best time to find shooting positions and make lens selection decisions.

Don't forget about the EF 135mm, f2L USM for wonderful wide-open bokeh and the ability to shoot at some distance and still get some subject isolation and intimacy. Very crisp center at f2 as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I should mentioned . . .
    that I have the usual suspects in terms of zooms: 17-40, 70-200 f4, 24-105, 100 macro. I was thinking more of interior shots (reception and dance floor), shots of the ceremony and group shots. I thought the 100 macro or the 70-200 would be OK close in. I was a second shooter at the last wedding and covered the reception by myself. I found working the dance floor a little difficult with my current lenses.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 16, 2009
    that I have the usual suspects in terms of zooms: 17-40, 70-200 f4, 24-105, 100 macro. I was thinking more of interior shots (reception and dance floor), shots of the ceremony and group shots. I thought the 100 macro or the 70-200 would be OK close in. I was a second shooter at the last wedding and covered the reception by myself. I found working the dance floor a little difficult with my current lenses.

Lenses of f2.8 or better will AF better at low light levels and both the 1D MKIII and 5D MKII have double precision center AF points at f2.8 or better. An external flash with a focus assist light is also a big help in low-light and with subjects of lesser contrast.

Renting a couple of lenses might make more sense than purchase unless this is something you wish to continue doing.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Could always opt for slightly less quality glass and get both those focal ranges in a 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4. Heck after getting those you could still add an 85 f1/8 to the mix and still be under the price of those you listed :)

I should mention though the 50mm f/1.4 is the only one mentioned I have actually used.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    35mm means danger of unflattering people WA distortion. I would not take it to a wedding! I would take the 50mm and the 85mm, they sound ideal for your needs.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Can't speak to weddings, but I rented a 50 1.2 for a PJ event that I was shooting, and wished throughout the day that I had a wider angle. I found myself just a little too tight more often than not. It's probably an experience thing and I'd eventually get used to 50mm, but regardless, for me, it's nice to have a prime that is closer to the human vision equivalent, and I believe that we see roughly 35 - 40mm. From my experience I will be buying a 35 when in position to do so. Besides, with a 5dII you can always crop in a smidge.

mwink.gif
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    cdub wrote:
    Can't speak to weddings, but I rented a 50 1.2 for a PJ event that I was shooting, and wished throughout the day that I had a wider angle. I found myself just a little too tight more often than not. It's probably an experience thing and I'd eventually get used to 50mm, but regardless, for me, it's nice to have a prime that is closer to the human vision equivalent, and I believe that we see roughly 35 - 40mm. From my experience I will be buying a 35 when in position to do so. Besides, with a 5dII you can always crop in a smidge.

mwink.gif

ps: please make sure you let us know what you decide and why - and show us the results!! :D
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I canshoot with the 50 1.2 all day and night. If I could have only one lens that would be it.

Same here, easily my most used lens.
  • ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I have been using a Canon 40D with the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens for a while. it gives me good photos in the low light environments I shoot in. (night clubs, bars, music venues) I use it with the high ISO setting 3200 so I don't have to use a flash.
    The one thing I have to be careful about is the focusing. I decide what I want in focus and see where it will be in the frame. I then choose the AFpoint that best matches the subject. With the camera turned vertical I usually set it to use the upper most AFpoint to focus on the face of a person.

In tight areas like small bar stages and packed dance floors I could not get the photos I was hoping for with the 50mm. Close areas require you to get farther back from the subject which opens up space for someone/something to get in the way.
    I purchased the Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens for getting the shots in close areas.

I am now starting to use the 50D camera with these lenses and I am getting even better results. And with the 50D in High ISO I can use my 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens to get some shots from farther away.

I think I will soon be looking at a 200mm lens to add to my current ones very soon.

If I'm not mistaken, with the camera your using the 50mm will be like my 40D using a 35mm. I use my Sigma 30mm most in close areas.

Sorry I rambled but I hope this helps some.