First Potrait Shoot - Comments and Suggestions Please!

GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited July 17, 2009 in People
I really want to learn to shoot good portraits like so many I see posted here. Last night my niece allowed me to take some shots of her around the yard.

I know I am at level ZERO so any comments and suggestions on poses, angles, lighting etc... will be very helpful. Shots were taken with Canon 50D, 70-200mm lens, and I used my latest toy the Speedlite 430 EX II. I really like the flash, just need to learn how to use it.

Thanks in advance for any comments,
Andy

1. Flash fired
592745457_UsCtZ-L.jpg

2. Flash fired
592745305_WSk7D-L.jpg

3. No flash
592501114_pyPcT-L-1.jpg

4. Flash fired
592501291_gdRKh-L-1.jpg

5. No Flash
592745790_f2jzX-L.jpg

6. No flash
592745944_EYzsf-L.jpg

7. Flash fired
592746081_pWh34-L.jpg

8. No Flash
592746218_8H2Ax-L.jpg
Andy
http://andygriffinphoto.com/
http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135

Comments

• aerosmith9110aerosmith9110 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    nice catch light but isn't the light ( flash ) a little harsh? ne_nau.gif
    Time for a diffuser? :)
    Current Bike:
    Suzuki Raider 150 (figure it out):dunno
    Yamaha mio 180cc 4V

Former Bikes:
    Italjet Dragster 172cc Full race
    Honda NSR250 PGMIII Full race
    Honda Dio 90 H2O cooled Full race

http://bikepics.com/members/aerosmith9110/
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I'm still learning myself so hope some of our more expert witnesses will chime in, particularly regarding the lighting, but a few thoughts...

In general, I think you need to get the flash off the camera - the central, pinpoint catchlights are a bit of a giveway.
    Gringriff wrote:
    1. Flash fired
    592745457_UsCtZ-S.jpg

Good use of background and nice boken- beautifully undistracting. Not sure this pose does her any favours - it's emphasizing her neck and upper arms which aren't necessarily her best features. Most women look better when shot from eye level or slightly above, and curvy girls in particular REALLY benefit from a shot from aabove them. It helps realign the proportions beautifully, and also minimizes a double chin.

2. Flash fired
    592745305_WSk7D-S.jpg

Better pose, although you could still get her to "up and over" with her chin (stretch it up, then down and out - I think Heather calls it the "turtle", although "vulture pose" is probably closer to the reality of it :D). The background in this one doesn't work for me - the path cuts the image in half too much.

3. No flash
    592501114_pyPcT-S.jpg

I find this one a little soft, but I like the light. Again, get above her, and get her to stretch out that neck.
    4. Flash fired
    592501291_gdRKh-S.jpg

I like this one, even though the roses are growing out of her shoulders a bit. Even though the pose emphasises her thigh somewhat, I think it's still flattering and I'm drawn to her face *first*.
    5. No Flash
    592745790_f2jzX-S.jpg

Light in this one is a bit harsh for me - her right arm looks washed out. Very pretty background.

6. No flash
    592745944_EYzsf-S.jpg

Nice light, don't particularly care for the pose. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't like it - too static for me. In general it would have been nice to see some shots with a bit more implied motion to them, but that's just my preference; ymmv.

7. Flash fired
    592746081_pWh34-S.jpg

Too much fill, IMO, but I REALLY like the pose and expression on this one! She looks so much more sparkly and vivacious in this one thumb.gif
    8. No Flash
    592746218_8H2Ax-S.jpg

Light is fine and this (cropped to get rid of the extra above her head) is probably the best of the set even though the pose isn't as flattering as the one above - look at how much more proportionate her arms look in the previous shot where they're pulled forward more. Simply a more flattering look for her body type. IMO

I think you're off to a great start on these - getting the flash off camera and/or playing with reflected light will go another step, and I think you'll like the results!! thumb.gif
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    nice catch light but isn't the light ( flash ) a little harsh? ne_nau.gif
    Time for a diffuser? :)

Aerosmith,

I tend to agree but it sure helps when someone points this out.

Thanks,
    Andy
    Andy
    edited July 16, 2009
    Great Help
    Wow Divamum what a great post. iloveyou.gif

Thanks so much for the advise. I will read this several more times before I get it memorized.

I just got the flash on Friday. I will absolutely try the off camera technique as quick as I can learn how.

The posing info is also great help. I actually remembered other posts where I've read about getting above the ladies for more flattering angles while I was taking pictures but did not have anything to stand on at the time. I will get something and try that too.

One thing I did not even mention before, is it generally better for these types of shots to be in AV, M, or TV modes? And does that change with or without a flash?

I am really glad to be here. This is a great board - so much better info that I get around home which is "Oh that's good!"

Thanks again,
    Andy
    Andy
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Andy, you can pick up a bracket and TTL cord really cheap off ebay. Then once you have mastered the technique, upgrade to something nicer.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
    edited July 16, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    Andy, you can pick up a bracket and TTL cord really cheap off ebay. Then once you have mastered the technique, upgrade to something nicer.

Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks.
    Andy
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    This is just my opinion and I'm far from a pro, so just a caveat lol. Manual would give you the most, but I'm a fan of Aperture-priority (AV) if the subject is pretty static, like in portraits - specially bc I have terrible eye-sight, and my glasses are scratched lol. This way I have the control of the depth of field. If speed is of the essence, I'd switch to Shutter-priority (TV), like if the subject is moving quickly and you want to freeze the action. You can get some neat effects this way too: streaky backgrounds, etc. They're all pretty relative on what you want to control, really. If you want to control both shutter and aperture, go Manual.
    edited July 16, 2009
    I'm also a fan of Av - I just can't think fast enough when I'm in manual, and by shooting Av I keep control over the depth of field, and just keep an eye on my shutter speed to make sure it's high enough for handholding (bumping up the ISO if necessary to keep it high enough). This leaves more of my attention for composition and talking to my subject. If I'm really worried about shutter speed (or shooting lower light where it could be a real problem), I'll reverse it and use Tv to ensure that it stays high enough and pay extra attention to where my focal point is; of course, I tend to shoot as wide open as I can anyway because I like the effect.

HTH!
  • Dee LiriousDee Lirious Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm still learning myself so hope some of our more expert witnesses will chime in, particularly regarding the lighting, but a few thoughts...

In general, I think you need to get the flash off the camera - the central, pinpoint catchlights are a bit of a giveway.

Good use of background and nice boken- beautifully undistracting. Not sure this pose does her any favours - it's emphasizing her neck and upper arms which aren't necessarily her best features. Most women look better when shot from eye level or slightly above, and curvy girls in particular REALLY benefit from a shot from aabove them. It helps realign the proportions beautifully, and also minimizes a double chin.

Better pose, although you could still get her to "up and over" with her chin (stretch it up, then down and out - I think Heather calls it the "turtle", although "vulture pose" is probably closer to the reality of it :D). The background in this one doesn't work for me - the path cuts the image in half too much.

I find this one a little soft, but I like the light. Again, get above her, and get her to stretch out that neck.

I like this one, even though the roses are growing out of her shoulders a bit. Even though the pose emphasises her thigh somewhat, I think it's still flattering and I'm drawn to her face *first*.

Light in this one is a bit harsh for me - her right arm looks washed out. Very pretty background.

Nice light, don't particularly care for the pose. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't like it - too static for me. In general it would have been nice to see some shots with a bit more implied motion to them, but that's just my preference; ymmv.

Too much fill, IMO, but I REALLY like the pose and expression on this one! She looks so much more sparkly and vivacious in this one thumb.gif

Light is fine and this (cropped to get rid of the extra above her head) is probably the best of the set even though the pose isn't as flattering as the one above - look at how much more proportionate her arms look in the previous shot where they're pulled forward more. Simply a more flattering look for her body type. IMO

I think you're off to a great start on these - getting the flash off camera and/or playing with reflected light will go another step, and I think you'll like the results!! thumb.gif

I agree with most of what Divamum has suggested. One "rule" is that you should not have your subjects with their arms against their sides. Always move their arms away, otherwise it widens them (not flattering). Hands on hips or posed on a post of some sort, etc, would take care of this. Also, watch for the pink tops (or any strongly colored tops) . When colors are strong, they can reflect back into the subjects face, making for color cast issues. Not always avoidable, but if you are aware, you know what you may need to fix. Also, keep your subjects at an angle to camera lens center. If the shoulders are square to your lens, the subject will look wide, also not flattering. Also, when you have someone who may have some extra under their chin (and it can happen with those who are underweight as well as otherwise), the best thing to do is to have them move their neck forward a bit to less, or even remove, that effect. Lastly, if you are going to have a subject lean their head into their hands, have them PRETEND to do so, but not actually put the weight of their head on their hands. The skin will spread under the pressure and it won't be attractive. The same goes when you have them seated. Keep then on the edge of the seat rather than fully on the seat. The spread is not going to give you points. Again, doesn't matter whether you subject is thin or not, it's just a matter of fact. Hope this helps somewhat.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    GREAT effort in these replies! clap.gif

Most of the problems here IMO, are; posing, then lighting.
    Google yer but off for pose suggestions and read up on the Owners Manual for flash ideas (particulary fill flash).... Then re-shoot and post. mwink.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I agree with dbuggs.... posing is most of the bigger problem here. if you can't get over them a little by standing on something, put them on the ground! Young women, especially if they hold a few extra pounds should never be shot straight on for many reasons. When they are that age they should be able to do quite a few poses with tilting their bodies and heads. I recently have found that if I can't get my flash off camera I would rather just do available light. I use manual mode, mostly f4, occasionally f2.8 ISO 400 or 800 to keep my shutter speed up for handholding the big 70-200.. All and all too bad for a first go!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited July 17, 2009
    Thanks So Much for the Replies and Avdice
    D'Buggs wrote:
    GREAT effort in these replies! clap.gif

wings.gifYES!!! WOW! I agree, thanks to every one of you who took the time to comment and offer suggestions. I will get her back in front of the camera soon and try to utilize many of these suggestions.

This is such a great forum and an excellent place to learn.

Andy
    Andy
    edited July 17, 2009
    Gringriff wrote:
    wings.gifYES!!! WOW! I agree, thanks to every one of you who took the time to comment and offer suggestions. I will get her back in front of the camera soon and try to utilize many of these suggestions.

This is such a great forum and an excellent place to learn.

Andy

Griff, one other thing I thought of: even if you don't have something to stand on to get above somebody, you can position them below you. For instance, for this shot, I couldn't get tall enough to do what I wanted (she's one of the few people I've shot who's as tall as I am!), so I had her lay on the floor on her tummy, arms folded on the ground in front of her to proper herself up (which I later cropped out). It's a pose I'll be using again for subjects willing to lie down, as I find it very flattering especially when shooting with the shallow DOF I like:

569230424_i7eiv-M-8.jpg