Reputable Repair Shops

achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited July 18, 2009 in Cameras
A friends camera (she Couldn't remember make/model) stopped working a few months ago with film loaded. She asked me for the name of a good repair shop, anyone have anything?
Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 16, 2009
    B&H does repairs as does KEH. (Not sure about Adorama.)

Do your friend a favor and find out the make and model of the camera and research the value to make sure that it is worthy of repair. Many people are unaware of the costs associated with estimate and repair and many old film cameras are just not valuable enough and should be replaced rather than repaired.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    PHO-TECH in HESTON KS..............
    There needs to be sticky on this subject......

In heston Ks.....PHO-TECH.....BERNIE IS A GREAT GUY....honest to the hilt, with me at least........I think he will work on anything but is a Repair center for Nikon.....he has worked on one of my Sigma Lenses...need a cleaning and lubing (after a few years they all do so they keep moving effortlessly, especially AF lenses).......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    B&H does repairs as does KEH. (Not sure about Adorama.)

Do your friend a favor and find out the make and model of the camera and research the value to make sure that it is worthy of repair. Many people are unaware of the costs associated with estimate and repair and many old film cameras are just not valuable enough and should be replaced rather than repaired.

I've already told her about the value thing, my X700 is now used as a training tool for BSA photo merit badge. They want $300 to put a new light curtain in a camera that I can replace for les than $100.

There is film in the camera that she would like to get out, as well as get the camera repaired, sooo..... I told her that I would get the film out if the repair is too costly, I don't want to do that until I know it can't/won't be repaired. The advancement/rewinding is all motorized, no manual, don't want to take a chance of breaking something on a camera that isn't mine.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • pwnguinpwnguin Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2009
    She could just go into a closet. Turn off the lights so it's completely dark and then manually remove the film. I've done this before - but it as a long time ago...