Options

Examples of amazing SmugMug & ShowIt integration

Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited December 17, 2010 in Weddings
Our own Artist-in-Resident, David Jay has done such a good job with ShowIt Sites product.

Here is Dane Sanders' site that Nick Haskins at Spilled Milk Design built: http://danesanders.com/

Here is another amazing site by Tonya Doughty: http://tonyadoughty.com/

If you have any other examples list them here in this thread!

Markham

Edit: Learn how: http://wiki.showitfast.com/SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Ham1 wrote:
    Our own Artist-in-Resident, David Jay has done such a good job with ShowIt Sites product.

Here is Dane Sanders' site that Nick Haskins at Spilled Milk Design built: http://danesanders.com/

Here is another amazing site by Tonya Doughty: http://tonyadoughty.com/

If you have any other examples list them here in this thread!

Markham

They are both great sites, but I don't see where they integrate with smugmug, am I missing something? I have a Show it Site myself and have client galleries on Smugmug, but I don't know how to integrate them, so any advice would be great.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    They are both great sites, but I don't see where they integrate with smugmug, am I missing something? I have a Show it Site myself and have client galleries on Smugmug, but I don't know how to integrate them, so any advice would be great.

If you go to "clients" on Tonya's site http://tonyadoughty.com/#/photo-clients/ and then click on any client photo, you will see a link at the bottom of each page that says "private client gallery"

20090716-pyibtbt7extf45rxkudpkces7k.jpg

In Dane's site, he just pulls images to SIS from his SmugMug site currently, but Nick is still building the sites. http://danesanders.smugmug.com/

Markham
  • Options
    nphaskinsnphaskins Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Awesome!

Yeah we are just about to start up a customization service for you folks! It hasn't officially been announced yet but it's coming super soon! Like Markham said, Dane's site is pulling in images from his Smugmug galleries which makes it even easier to update his site! He doesn't even have to open Showit to update his galleries! Sweet! We also just finished up his smugmug site so everything is tightly integrated and consistent with his current brand.

Showit + Smugmug = Awesome!

http://danesanders.smugmug.com
    Showit Designer
    Spilled Milk Designs
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Working on one !
    Amazing stuffff so much fun bowdown.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Just created one... There are lots of features in the software. And very easy to work on. Great job mwink.gif

http://pakistan.showitsite.com
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    nphaskins wrote:
    Awesome!

Yeah we are just about to start up a customization service for you folks! It hasn't officially been announced yet but it's coming super soon! Like Markham said, Dane's site is pulling in images from his Smugmug galleries which makes it even easier to update his site! He doesn't even have to open Showit to update his galleries! Sweet! We also just finished up his smugmug site so everything is tightly integrated and consistent with his current brand.

Showit + Smugmug = Awesome!

http://danesanders.smugmug.com
    Definitely looking forward to this; I saw Dane's website go public the other day and it's rocking... Spilled Milk definitely caught my eye!

My main questions are regarding the actual SmugMug THEME, and the URL.

Question #1- Can I have a showit-sites hosted www.matthewsaville.com main page, and /weddings or /contact pages, etc. etc. (or how about www.matthewsaville.com/workflowshop!!!) ...and ALSO still mask "smugmug" OUT of my gallery URL's? I'm just wondering how this could even be possible since I have the same exact URL's on my smugmug account... Like so:

http://www.matthewsaville.com/weddings
    http://www.matthewsaville.smugmug.com/weddings

Both URL's are pages that I need to use...

Question #2- If I contract with someone to create my own branded theme, like the black arts theme except with a brushed metal background instead of the squares, (and my own header / footer) ...will that theme receive the same attention to script updates, bug shooting, etc. that I can count on from the mainstream Smugmug themes? (Or, can I force-feed a different background into an existing theme, like black arts?)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this awesome service, you guys! Both Smugmug and Showit Sites are two of the things I am very content with in my business right now...

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Definitely looking forward to this; I saw Dane's website go public the other day and it's rocking... Spilled Milk definitely caught my eye!

My main questions are regarding the actual SmugMug THEME, and the URL.

Question #1- Can I have a showit-sites hosted www.matthewsaville.com main page, and /weddings or /contact pages, etc. etc. (or how about www.matthewsaville.com/workflowshop!!!) ...and ALSO still mask "smugmug" OUT of my gallery URL's? I'm just wondering how this could even be possible since I have the same exact URL's on my smugmug account... Like so:

http://www.matthewsaville.com/weddings
    http://www.matthewsaville.smugmug.com/weddings

Both URL's are pages that I need to use...
    =Matt=

Not sure I underatand the question here. You can customize your smugmug galleries so that smug mug never appears in any URL as long as you register a real domain name. If you have addtional stuff in mathewsaville.com then it appears you would have to integrate that into your smug mug customization code
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    iSmileiSmile Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2009
    Showit + Smugmug
    Via Smugmug I ventured to see what Showit was all about. I spent countless days, sort of, designing a website on Showit and have no clue how clue how to marry the two. I have it all ready to roll - have the client galleries linked to smugmug so they can purchase prints etc. I want my clients to see my title page, about me, etc. when they search for me on the web. I have a domain name so no problem there. I even deleted it from my control panel in smugmug to avoind any confusion. So now what. Since smugmug has my galleries and clients can pay for the pics there, they are my hosting site right? How do I make this work together? I'm clueless!
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    iSmile wrote:
    Via Smugmug I ventured to see what Showit was all about. I spent countless days, sort of, designing a website on Showit and have no clue how clue how to marry the two. I have it all ready to roll - have the client galleries linked to smugmug so they can purchase prints etc. I want my clients to see my title page, about me, etc. when they search for me on the web. I have a domain name so no problem there. I even deleted it from my control panel in smugmug to avoind any confusion. So now what. Since smugmug has my galleries and clients can pay for the pics there, they are my hosting site right? How do I make this work together? I'm clueless!

That's awesome that you hopped on board the Showit bandwagon! Sweet!

From your description, I'm going to take a stab and guess that you want your new Showit site to be viewed when someone goes to your domain name correct? If so then you need to decide if you are going to be hosting the HTML pages, or if Showit will be hosting the site. Showit will always host the meat of your site. i.e., "the content." You do have the option for hosting the actual HTML pages of your site though on your own hosting account.

If you currently do not have a hosting account, then Showit would host your site. If your taking that route, just go the the "setup wizard" under the "Site" menu. Showit support will get everything rocking for you, and will take care of all of the domain name switching.

When your site is up and running, you can embed any part of your Showit site into Smugmug for a custom header and/or a custom footer. Alternately you can make something completely different within your Showit site and embed that. It's really only limited by your creativity.

Hope that helps!
    Showit Designer
    Spilled Milk Designs
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Thank You Spoiled Milk!
    Super big help! So a super big THANK YOU to you. I submitted the request to Showit last night. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    iSmile wrote:
    Super big help! So a super big THANK YOU to you. I submitted the request to Showit last night. Thanks again.

Awesome! Yeah no problem at all!

50% of our business is custom design, and the other 50% is educating folks on Showit. We're here to make sure you guys' questions are getting the right answers.
    Showit Designer
    Spilled Milk Designs
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    Not sure I underatand the question here. You can customize your smugmug galleries so that smug mug never appears in any URL as long as you register a real domain name. If you have addtional stuff in mathewsaville.com then it appears you would have to integrate that into your smug mug customization code
    Huh? "integrate that into your smug mug customization code"???

I'll try to explain again. I have a Smugmug account. I have a Showit Sites account. On my Smugmug account, I have pages such as matthewsaville.smugmug.com/weddings... On my Showit Sites account, I have pages such as matthewsaville.com/weddings.

HOW DO THE TWO CO-EXIST? (If I want to remove the .smugmug from my SmugMug URL's...)

:-)
    =Matt=
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Huh? "integrate that into your smug mug customization code"???

I'll try to explain again. I have a Smugmug account. I have a Showit Sites account. On my Smugmug account, I have pages such as matthewsaville.smugmug.com/weddings... On my Showit Sites account, I have pages such as matthewsaville.com/weddings.

HOW DO THE TWO CO-EXIST? (If I want to remove the .smugmug from my SmugMug URL's...)

:-)
    =Matt=

Hey Matt!
    What a wicked awesome Showit site you have! Sweet job on that!

From what your asking, it sounds like you'll need to set up a subdomain for your smugmug site if it's to be used for proofing, and as an "extension" of your current site. For example, you may want something like "proofing.matthewsaville.com." Do you have a hosting account? The process for how to do this differs. See this post for a little more detail on the process.
    Showit Designer
    Spilled Milk Designs
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    nphaskins wrote:
    Hey Matt!
    What a wicked awesome Showit site you have! Sweet job on that!

From what your asking, it sounds like you'll need to set up a subdomain for your smugmug site if it's to be used for proofing, and as an "extension" of your current site. For example, you may want something like "proofing.matthewsaville.com." Do you have a hosting account? The process for how to do this differs. See this post for a little more detail on the process.
    Bingo! That's exactly the kind of solution I'd love to have. Something like galleries.matthewsaville.com would do the trick.

I own my URL through Yahoo, unfortunately, but I can look into adding that URL... Thanks for the help.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Gallery site address
    OK - my problems (most of them) have been solved. With the help of "Spoiled Milk" and Tiffany (on the Showit forum) and Showit, I am ready to roll. One more question - more of a Smugmug question this time. On Showit I have a title "Client Galleries" on my home page. This is where my clients can view and purchase their pics. I had it linked to my Smugmug galleries. Well I had it linked to MY gallery page which means they could see my pricing, etc. So I went to Visitor View and copied that address from the top of my screen to the Showit link. That was great except my clients could click on the top and change it back to Owner's View. So my question is, how do I know what the "address" is for the gallery page for my clients - where they cannot see my pricing or change my pricing! Ughhh! Please let me know if I'm not clear - I have a tendency to ramble... Thanks! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    iSmile wrote:
    OK - my problems (most of them) have been solved. With the help of "Spoiled Milk" and Tiffany (on the Showit forum) and Showit, I am ready to roll. One more question - more of a Smugmug question this time. On Showit I have a title "Client Galleries" on my home page. This is where my clients can view and purchase their pics. I had it linked to my Smugmug galleries. Well I had it linked to MY gallery page which means they could see my pricing, etc. So I went to Visitor View and copied that address from the top of my screen to the Showit link. That was great except my clients could click on the top and change it back to Owner's View. So my question is, how do I know what the "address" is for the gallery page for my clients - where they cannot see my pricing or change my pricing! Ughhh! Please let me know if I'm not clear - I have a tendency to ramble... Thanks! headscratch.gif

Awesome! Just a correction that it's "Spilled Milk" not "Spoiled Milk." :)
    Showit Designer
    Spilled Milk Designs
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    So Sorry!
    nphaskins wrote:
    Awesome! Just a correction that it's "Spilled Milk" not "Spoiled Milk." :)

What a dufus! So sorry about that. Spilled Milk it is. No matter what it is - you are AWESOME! Thanks! You really know your stuff!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    iSmile wrote:
    I think logging out might do the trick?

;-)
    =Matt=
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    iSmile wrote:
    OK - my problems (most of them) have been solved. With the help of "Spoiled Milk" and Tiffany (on the Showit forum)

"spoiled milk" Laughing.gif
    On Showit I have a title "Client Galleries" on my home page. This is where my clients can view and purchase their pics. I had it linked to my Smugmug galleries. Well I had it linked to MY gallery page which means they could see my pricing, etc. So I went to Visitor View and copied that address from the top of my screen to the Showit link. That was great except my clients could click on the top and change it back to Owner's View. So my question is, how do I know what the "address" is for the gallery page for my clients - where they cannot see my pricing or change my pricing! Ughhh! Please let me know if I'm not clear - I have a tendency to ramble... Thanks! headscratch.gif

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but remember this, there is no way for your clients to see an "owners view" of your site. ONLY the logged in person can see the owners view and we allow you to see the "visitor view" as an owner so you don't get confused.

It sounds like what you want is the actual URL of where your client gallery is. For instance, Tonya embeds a unique URL to each client gallery in her ShowIt client pages: http://tonyadoughty.com/#/shade/. The link she embeds look like this: http://tonyadoughty.smugmug.com/gallery/8720209_kEYn9

As you can see, she puts a password on the site and a password hint so the client can get in, but no one else who wouldn't know that password.

Helpful?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    Here is a killer site that shows ShowIt and SmugMug integration. http://www.jakigoodphotography.com/

This site was done by Jerry Roek. www.jrcustomization.com
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I signed up after playing with the free test drive for a few days. I am website challenged 350 % but I managed to finally figure out some of the basics within 3 days, don't laugh!!
    Anyway I am not ready to share yet and I am going the clean simple route, but hey, I can change that anytime I want....maybe tomorrow I will feel more GOTH! lol
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I signed up after playing with the free test drive for a few days. I am website challenged 350 % but I managed to finally figure out some of the basics within 3 days, don't laugh!!
    Anyway I am not ready to share yet and I am going the clean simple route, but hey, I can change that anytime I want....maybe tomorrow I will feel more GOTH! lol

Haha, don't be shy!
  • Options
    HarrisPhotographicArtsHarrisPhotographicArts Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    I'm going to jump in on this conversation too (only long after it was over). :D

So, I can design my Showit site and then just simply place it in my Custom Header and when someone comes to www.harrisphotographicarts.com , they will see my Showit site? The functionality of all of my Showit pages will remain in place - embedding an entire website in the header? Or do I have to design each Smugmug page its own Showit page and embed it on each page separately?

This is all starting to come together..........I think......:D
    Don Harris
    Harris Photographic Arts
    http://www.harrisphotographicarts.com
  • Options
    SpeakoffSpeakoff Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    I'm going to jump in on this conversation too (only long after it was over). :D

So, I can design my Showit site and then just simply place it in my Custom Header and when someone comes to www.harrisphotographicarts.com , they will see my Showit site? The functionality of all of my Showit pages will remain in place - embedding an entire website in the header? Or do I have to design each Smugmug page its own Showit page and embed it on each page separately?

This is all starting to come together..........I think......:D

I have the same question, sort of! I want my site to have a lot more Flash and to look more professional. Showit seems like the easiest way to do that. So my question is, I go purchase a Showit site, right? And then I make the whole site and it looks great. Then what? How do I integrate it so I can still have my clients purchasing prints, etc., from Smugmug? Thanks for any direction you can offer!
  • Options
    davidjaydavidjay Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    So fun to see the new sites and how people are integrating SmugMug with Showit!

A great new SmugMug related feature we've added in is the "authorization" piece which allows you to browse and use all your images right from SmugMug inside of Showit....and I know it's a little bit of reading but just checkout this page to get SmugMug and Showit hitched. ;)

Some of your questions above dealt with how you can customize your SmugMug site with some Flash content from Showit and the way you do that is through Showit's "Share" feature which lets you embed portions of your site (ex. header or footer) into SmugMug so that it can better match your website.

Let me know how we can help and keep rockin!
    dj

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • Options
    BKGPhotoBKGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Ok hopefully this thread isn't dead. I'm looking at making the jump to showit and hosting through them. I currently have a smugmug pro account and I would like to link the two. I have read and read and read but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

1. Current smugmug site is www.bkgphoto.com. I want to have show it use that URL so I believe I just turn off custom URL on smug and add it to show it yes?

2. I will have show it authorized to use smugmug pictures from galleries. Is there a tutorial for this anyplace? How do I add individual smug galleries to showit and can I make URL weddings.bkgphoto.com and portraits.bkgphoto.com.

3. Proofs and buying. Do I just add a link to my show it site that points to my smugmug client proof page? Is it that simple? How to I customize that URL to something like proofs.bkgphoto.com.

I hope that this all makes sense to someone out there.
  • Options
    Showit KevinShowit Kevin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2010
    Hey BKG Photo! Here are some answers to your questions.

1. When you complete your Showit "Domain Setup..." you can request that Showit handle all this for you. We'll then make the necessary changes on your domain to have it point to you Showit website. If you're pretty good with DNS settings, you can also do it yourself if you'd like. If you want to have your SmugMug page be at weddings.bkgphoto.com that is a subdomain that is configured with your registrar, telling them to point weddings.bkgphoto.com to SmugMug's servers.

2. Check out our wiki on authorizing SmugMug for your account: http://wiki.showitfast.com/SmugMug_Authorization.

3. You can just link to your SmugMug page from your Showit website with the URL Link option. You can have it open as an overlay window, in the same window, or in a new window.

If you have more questions about Showit feel free to hitup the Support Studs at support.showitfast.com or Club Showit at club.showitfast.com.

Cheers!

Kevin
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    VayCayMom, did you ever switch over? I'm 99% happy without ShowIt, but would love to see what you did, if you don't mind sharing.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User