Photo 4000somethingish of 6540ish

RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited July 20, 2009 in Landscapes
I just got back a week ago from a roadtrip across the US. 8500miles, 26 states, in 30 days, with 3 young energetic children (4yrs, 2yrs, 11mos). Here are a few of the photos I PP'd. (still have a few thousand to sort through :( ) I don't wanna flood the boards with photos but I was happy as a clam as I made more stops for photo ops then the kids had to go potty. Beat that eh? :D:D

The Teepees, Petrified Forest
3727931361_d7134674e8_o.jpg

Rt 66 landmark, Painted Desert
3727946079_2ec298d675_o.jpg

Southern Rim, Grand View, Grand Canyon Nat'l Park - note the clouds and rain. Because we planned an astronomy stay in the Southwest some silly tropical storm popped up outta nowhere in Mexico and completely clouded over the Southwest the whole time we were down there :cry
3727946039_7471f8d1cd_o.jpg

Rob
www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Very nice, Rob! All three are beautiful and natural looking. The colors are subtle but pleasing and the compositions are well thought out. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • CoconutCoconut Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I’ve never been to the Grand Canyon. I bet that was a spectacular view. wings.gif
    I'm not Strange. I'm just Misunderstood.:dunno
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    It was indescribable. The pictures do it no justice whatsoever. I can only imagine if I were the only person at the park during the day how much more of an impact the feeling would have been.
    www.refractivephotos.com

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Whoah whoah whoah! You talk so humbly, but.... the photos!! bowdown.gif

It's been a really long time since I've seen a pic of the Grand Canyon that was so different. You caught it on the perfect day. thumb.gif And that's really funny about topping your kids' pee stops. I bet they'll remember that when they're adults!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Whoa, what a trip! Sounds like you had a great time. My favorite of these is the Grand Canyon photo (#3), you might have been hoping for different light but these clouds really make it a unique shot, well done!
    edited July 18, 2009
    Thanks Schmoo. Seeing this in person was quite an experience. When I looked over the rim, I realized how small I was - and how vertigo can really get to you :D

Thanks for the comment coscorrosa. I was hoping for clear night skies more than anything. When I saw the weather patterns that morning in the canyon, I knew I would have a picture that was quite different than the postcards :D. The funny thing is, it was raining on me the whole time and I was having a blast. My son kept on asking my wife why I had to stop so much to take pictures in the rain heheheh. I think he thought I had gone nuts. I will post a photo of the big stop of our trip and why I was disappointed with the weather from an astronomer's view point.

Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Wow 30 days road trip ! amazing
    Great photos waiting for more.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Beautiful set. The light in the first two is absolutely stunning.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Wow, that sounds like a really fun trip to go on. You were probably pretty tired by the end of it. I can't complain about any of these images; they're all very good!
    edited July 20, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Wow, that sounds like a really fun trip to go on. You were probably pretty tired by the end of it. I can't complain about any of these images; they're all very good!

Tired? ya - I ended up driving all but 136 miles of it but who's counting? (good thing wife doesn't surf dgrin :D ) I need to get on the journey's section and make a huge "blog" but I am working on a book to publish via blurb.

I will post a few more here shortly. Thanks for commenting.

Oh Dan, went out to Hurricane ridge yesterday. Ran all over the place looking for a good composition but just didn't see it. The wildflowers are nearing the peak though. Thanks for posting your earlier pics. Motivating.

Awais - it's not all bad :D I am still PP'ing but will get em up here as soon as I can ... Thanks for the prodding.. Need that at the moment heheh.
    www.refractivephotos.com

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 20, 2009
    Sounds like quite a trip indeed. Really like 2 and 3. I agree with the others about the GC shot. Very nice.

How does the family handle you stopping to take pictures all the time? I know my wife and kids have very little patience for it.

-joel
    edited July 20, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Joel. Well, I heard the question, "Why does daddy have to take a picture of everything?" more than I heard the question, "Are we there yet?". Overall they handled it well. Especially when I showed the pictures to them. Wife was encouraging. It was better than I had hoped. Heck, I drug them all out to Hurricane ridge day before and they were pretty good natured about it all :D
    www.refractivephotos.com