I'll admit ~ It's rough on the vacuum...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited July 17, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Edited to add this excerpt from one of my responses below. I thought it might give a little insight to why I shoot as many old windows/doors as I can:

*** For some unexplainable reason, old windows and doors hold a fascination for me. My grandma used to say, "if that old building could talk...".
Well, much as a persons eyes are the "window to the soul", a buildings openings are the same for them.

The doors/windows allow me to connect on a "daydreaming" level with whomever occupied that particular house in the past.

Who was it that was watching the kids from inside the window?
What were they "daydreaming" about when they were just staring out that window?

When someone was going out that "door", they were heading somewhere...where, and what was it like back then?
When someone returned through that "door", what had they been doing that day? Working the field... Back from town?... Wounded from a gunfight?... ***
Randy

Comments

• Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I bet it is. These are very interesting... I like the PP treatment you gave them. Good Work! #2 is my fav
    Jer
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I like these! The 2nd is my favorite too! I think the pp treatment works very well with these! Did you happen upon the old building or hunt for it? :D
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Howdy Randy
    I was thinking this morning that we haven't seen anything from you in awhile. These are great, especially #2. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • lindazgrinlindazgrin Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I love these...perfect PP.
    www.lindazelnio.com
    D300 l 85/1.4 l 35/2 l 50/1.8 l 70-300vr l 28-105 l tokina 17-50/2.8 l 135ais l Sb600 and sb900 l Mac
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Quit tracking dirty dirt in on my clean dirt!
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I bet it is. These are very interesting... I like the PP treatment you gave them. Good Work! #2 is my fav

Thank you for your comments Jeremy.
    Randy
    edited July 17, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I like these! The 2nd is my favorite too! I think the pp treatment works very well with these! Did you happen upon the old building or hunt for it? :D

Eia,

Both... I am always on the lookout for old buildings, but I was building hunting on this trip to South Texas.

For some unexplainable reason, old windows and doors hold a fascination for me. My grandma used to say, "if that old building could talk...".
    Well, much as a persons eyes are the "window to the soul", a buildings openings are the same for them.

The doors/windows allow me to connect on a "daydreaming" level with whomever occupied that particular house in the past.

When someone was going out that "door", they were heading somewhere...where, and what was it like back then?
    When someone returned through that "door", what had they been doing that day? Working the field... Back from town?... Wounded from a gunfight?...

Oops, got a little sidetracked there,

Anyway, thanks for looking and commenting.
    Randy
    edited July 17, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Howdy Randy
    I was thinking this morning that we haven't seen anything from you in awhile. These are great, especially #2. thumb.gifthumb

Howdy Mr. Jack,

Thanks for noticing my "absence". This "people" photography stuff is taking it's toll on my fun shooting. rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 17, 2009
    lindazgrin wrote:
    I love these...perfect PP.

Thanks Linda for looking and leaving a comment thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited July 17, 2009
    wadesworld wrote:
    Quit tracking dirty dirt in on my clean dirt!

Wade,

I can perfectly hear mom or grandma saying something like that rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I am always on the lookout for old buildings, but I was building hunting on this trip to South Texas. For some unexplainable reason, old windows and doors hold a fascination for me. My grandma used to say, "if that old building could talk...". Well, much as a persons eyes are the "window to the soul", a buildings openings are the same for them.

I completely agree with your grandmother. These old houses you photographed are just begging to tell a story. Wonderful work! thumb.gif
    edited July 17, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I completely agree with your grandmother. These old houses you photographed are just begging to tell a story. Wonderful work! thumb.gif

Thanks Linda,

I just wish I was artistic enough that I could get my photos of the old buildings to tell a story, maybe even one of their stories they mysteriously hold back.

Maybe, someday I'll get there...
    Randy
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Eia,

Both... I am always on the lookout for old buildings, but I was building hunting on this trip to South Texas.

For some unexplainable reason, old windows and doors hold a fascination for me. My grandma used to say, "if that old building could talk...".

When someone returned through that "door", what had they been doing that day? Working the field... Back from town?... Wounded from a gunfight?...

Oops, got a little sidetracked there,

Anyway, thanks for looking and commenting.

I feel exactly as you!!!! Windows through Time thumb.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Your b/w conversion is great Randy (as is most of your processing). It adds to the gritty feel of an old room. thumb.gif
    edited July 17, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I feel exactly as you!!!! Windows through Time thumb.gif

Well, that either means I'm not totally wacko, or we both are. Time will tell rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 17, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Your b/w conversion is great Randy (as is most of your processing). It adds to the gritty feel of an old room. thumb.gif

Thanks Travis,

Your always so kind with your comments.
    Randy
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I'm another one with a fascination with old buildings' windows and doors. So ya'll aren't alone. I really like these images! Well done!thumb.gif
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    #2 is really a stunning example. Looks like that room could tell more than a single story.
    Steve

Website
    edited July 17, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    I'm another one with a fascination with old buildings' windows and doors. So ya'll aren't alone. I really like these images! Well done!thumb.gif

Thanks Powell for your nice comments.

I guess we need to start a "Hi, I'm addicted to old doors, windows & buildings" group rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 17, 2009
    #2 is really a stunning example. Looks like that room could tell more than a single story.

Thanks CS,

Nope, its just a "single story" building ~~~ I couldn't resist rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks CS,

Nope, its just a "single story" building ~~~ I couldn't resist rolleyes1.gif

:smack:giggle:giggle:giggle