File Download

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited July 18, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Not sure where to ask this question. After waiting for an hour for files to download from the internet, I get a message that says operation has timed out. I successfuly downloaded a 186MB file last night. The file that has timed out this morning is only 167MB. Why has this occured and how can I fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

Wes Mims
Clix Photography
www.clix-photo.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    What are you downloading, what file, and from where? Please give us a link, thanks.
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    What are you downloading, what file, and from where? Please give us a link, thanks.

I'm downloading images that are snapshots form an event that the organizer wants displayed on my site. Here is the link: ftp://ftp.archasia.com.hk/GCD%20Sausalito/To_Wes/ I have downloaded all but the Day2b and Day3a, b, and c. I'm only dowloading the zip files.
    edited July 17, 2009
    I have discovered that if I retry downloading the same file, it will be succesful. Why does it time out in the first place?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    OK The confusion here is you were saying download, but you really mean, uploading files from you to SmugMug. We can help, write our heroes directly okay? http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Thanks.
    edited July 17, 2009
    Thanks Andy but I am trying to download the files from the site linked above and save them to my computer for review and organization before I upload them to my smugmug site. One file (Day3c) has timed out all four times I've tried to download it.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    Thanks Andy but I am trying to download the files from the site linked above and save them to my computer for review and organization before I upload them to my smugmug site. One file (Day3c) has timed out all four times I've tried to download it.
    There are lots of possible causes for that. It could be a problem at the site you're trying to download from. It could be a problem in the internet connection between you and that site or it could be a problem with the settings in the program you're using for the download. Pretty hard for us to know much more. If you have a different way to do the ftp download, you might try a different ftp client. If you are using a browser, try a different browser.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited July 18, 2009
    Thanks Friend. I have downloaded all but one of the zip files. The last one has timed out all six times I've tried to download it. I will just have to download it one image at a time.

Wes
  • Johnny VJohnny V Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    Thanks Friend. I have downloaded all but one of the zip files. The last one has timed out all six times I've tried to download it. I will just have to download it one image at a time.

What OS are you using? Might be best use another ftp client. With Mac - CyberDuck has been solid for me. Windows, I'm not a big user of Windows, I've used FileZilla but haven't worked with big files.

John