canon 200mm 1.8 _-_DUST!

TylerwickphotoTylerwickphoto Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited July 17, 2009 in Cameras
i am currently planing on purchasing a lens from a friend. he is selling the canon 200mm 1.8. cosmetically the body looks good. with not much signs of wear. the only problem is, there is dust between the elements and on the rear element. i was wondering what a good price to pay for this would be. i do not want to pay too much. im not sure if the dust will show in the picture and if it did, could i send it into canon for cheap?.. help guys!

thanks,

tyler wick

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 17, 2009
    The Canon EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM is a classic and revered older lens and to mention the word "Cheap" regarding anything about the lens is a pure misconception. mwink.gif

If you are concerned about cleaning make it contingent upon the sale, so you know the up front costs. Actual costs would probably be affected by your membership in CPS and the level of membership.

Internal dust rarely affects image detail but may impact contrast through dispersion (rarely a true concern.)

Will your friend not let you test the lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TylerwickphotoTylerwickphoto Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM is a classic and revered older lens and to mention the word "Cheap" regarding anything about the lens is a pure misconception. mwink.gif

If you are concerned about cleaning make it contingent upon the sale, so you know the up front costs. Actual costs would probably be affected by your membership in CPS and the level of membership.

Internal dust rarely affects image detail but may impact contrast through dispersion (rarely a true concern.)

Will your friend not let you test the lens?

if the dust was visable only at looking at it, but not through the camera or in the picture, what is a "good" price to be paid. your opinions
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 17, 2009
    if the dust was visable only at looking at it, but not through the camera or in the picture, what is a "good" price to be paid. your opinions

KEH currently has one selling in EX condition for $4300USD.

EBay - "Buy it Now" prices are running $4000-$4300USD

Recently completed EBay auction ran $3952

For a private sale I would guess from $3700-$4000 would be fair, depending upon actual condition.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums