#29 - From a noob:

MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited July 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
The Police: Walking on the moon...

Well, a chocolate moon at least. :) Just in time for the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11.

584866526_gtGu9-L.jpg

Worth it???
More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com

Comments

• Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    The Police: Walking on the moon...

Well, a chocolate moon at least. :) Just in time for the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11.

Worth it???

I like it... Is there any possibility of redoing it with a black backdrop behind it? The vent and umm shelf? is a tad distracting.
    Jer
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    decent go at it.....needs star field for background........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Thanks Guys. I agree. Better?

594005804_er2Ln-L.jpg
    More photo, less shop.

edited July 17, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    Thanks Guys. I agree. Better?
    Much better!
    Jer
  • frollerfroller Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Big difference! Looks great.
    Fred

"Only those who can see the invisible can accomplish the impossible."
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Wonderful! thumb.gif

You know what would be cool to try? See if you can put an Earth into the sky. mwink.gif

eek7.gif That's chocoloate? rolleyes1.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Wonderful! thumb.gif

You know what would be cool to try? See if you can put an Earth into the sky. mwink.gif

eek7.gif That's chocoloate? rolleyes1.gif

Just a word of caution, the placed earth would have to have been one of MLangton's own photos. So...if you do this you'll need to find an interesting looking globe to shoot. If its done right, this just might work. Can't wait to see it.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited July 18, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Just a word of caution, the placed earth would have to have been one of MLangton's own photos. So...if you do this you'll need to find an interesting looking globe to shoot. If its done right, this just might work. Can't wait to see it.
    Thanks for all of the comments so far. I thought about this.

(A) I do not have a nice picture of the earth from space that I have taken. Thanks NASA. Maybe you could re-consider me for the astronaut corps. The Big Dipper starfield was easy, thats an actual pic, I just added some extra stars... and;

(B) I'm just going to be honest about the Earth issue. I just have a very rudimentary PP program called GIMP. I cant afford Photoshop yet. Trying to get an Earth in there would really task MY ability. I'm not sure I can pull this off and make it look decent. I'll play around with the idea. The way the bluish light is reflecting off of the little guys hints that the light source should be off picture IMHO. Leaves it up to the imagination.

I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the comments and ideas. :D
    More photo, less shop.

edited July 18, 2009
    KevXman wrote:

Excellent point, Kevin! Thanks for posting it.

MLangton wrote:
    I just have a very rudimentary PP program called GIMP

There is a way to create planets with Gimp: http://gtuts.com/design/the-ultimate-gimp-planet-tutorial mwink.gif

It's not necessary to do that, but it could be a lot fun.
    edited July 18, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    There is a way to create planets with Gimp: http://gtuts.com/design/the-ultimate-gimp-planet-tutorial mwink.gif

It's not necessary to do that, but it could be a lot fun.

Wow! Thanks. The learning curve for all of this is just amazing. bowdown.gif
    More photo, less shop.

edited July 18, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    Wow! Thanks. The learning curve for all of this is just amazing. bowdown.gif

Main thing to remember is that you have good solid entry with the photo as is. But since there's plenty of time before the end of the challenge, why not use it to see if you can kick it up a notch? mwink.gifD

And that's not the only tutorial: http://www.google.com/search?q=make+planets+with+gimp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a deal.gif
    edited July 18, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    (B) I'm just going to be honest about the Earth issue. I just have a very rudimentary PP program called GIMP. I cant afford Photoshop yet. Trying to get an Earth in there would really task MY ability. I'm not sure I can pull this off and make it look decent. I'll play around with the idea.

Don't be afraid to ask how to do something in PP. Just throw your problem out there with whichever program you're using and someone here will chime in with some suggestions. We're all here to learn and to help others learn. Personnally, I get a thrill out of watching one of us learn something new. Whether is while taking the photo or in PP, its enjoyable to see someone get past a hurdle that they have been having trouble with in the past.thumb.gif
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
    edited July 18, 2009
    Thanks for all of the help. thumb.gif

I am learning so much, so fast. I am going to look into what I can do with this further. I agree with Linda, if I can kick it up a notch, I will. Not sure what I can do because of the existing light and shadows though. I don't want to end up with a complete CGI, with little or none of the original picture in the end... Just my style. All though that might look really cool.

If only there was a way to convey the smell of all of the chocolate. It smelled sooooo good in there.

OK, it's my girlfriends 40th... I should go pay some attention to her this weekend. Thanks again Y'all.

EDIT: CRUD!!! Just read the rules more closely. My big dipper backdrop is out of date. I'll have to remove that and insert a fresh star field. I'll probably just create my own from scratch this time. Oh well, glad that I caught my error before entering the pic.

FIXED. I just took a blank shot with my lens cap on. I just used a paintbrush to create my own big dipper and star field. Debating the planet issue now...
    More photo, less shop.

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    It looks good thumb.gif

I agree with all the advice you have received, not much more to say, other than it is a great entry..:D They sure helped you to clean it up nicely..

Gotta love these guys..rolleyes1.gifmwink.gif

Kat
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Excellent idea and execution - can't wait to see the earth included (eventually) :D
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited July 19, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    I just took a blank shot with my lens cap on. I just used a paintbrush to create my own big dipper and star field.

clap.gifclapclap.gifWhat a great idea!!!!
    edited July 19, 2009
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice, everyone. clap.gif

I have the planet maker installed. THANKS! With astronomy being my other interest, I'm not sure if I can make this work, given the original light and shadows. I think the correct placement of the earth would be a few inches out to the left... Out of the existing frame. Hmmm... I want it to look realistic, yet not completely alter the original image. Yes, I am over-analyzing. headscratch.gif

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.
    More photo, less shop.

edited July 19, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice, everyone. clap.gif

I have the planet maker installed. THANKS! With astronomy being my other interest, I'm not sure if I can make this work, given the original light and shadows. I think the correct placement of the earth would be a few inches out to the left... Out of the existing frame. Hmmm... I want it to look realistic, yet not completely alter the original image. Yes, I am over-analyzing. headscratch.gif

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

What the heck! Give it a go and let's see what you come up with! :D
    edited July 19, 2009
    Voila!

OK, yay or nay???

596438451_MtxhY-L.jpg

The celestial orientation is off, but I think it looks cool. :)

THANK YOU ALL for the help and ideas!
    More photo, less shop.

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    not seeing anything....?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited July 21, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    not seeing anything....?

Sorry about that. NO idea what happened. It was there when I went to work, and gone when I got your message. It's there now... Hmmm... It just went poof. headscratch.gif
    More photo, less shop.

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I still don't see it - just a little box with a red X in it.
    edited July 21, 2009
    make sure the gallery is set correctly, meaning people can still view the photos... I'm not entirely sure what setting this is... Might be Hide Owner?
    Jer
    edited July 21, 2009
    Make sure external links for the gallery are turned on.
    edited July 21, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Make sure external links for the gallery are turned on.

Arrrrrgh!!!!!headscratch.gif

It is in the same gallery as the others... I don't get it. I'll move galleries and try again in this post... External links enabled.Here goes:

597282437_wuSi9-L.jpg

Anything??? I don't get it... I post it, just like I post the other pictures... Look it after the post... Leave... Then get a reply saying it is not visible. I go back and it's gone... headscratch.gif I promise, I'm not that dumb. THANKS for the patience. thumb.gif

Hope this works... I see it now... But then again, it was there the other times when I left. Gremlins???
    More photo, less shop.

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Wonderful!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited July 21, 2009
    I LIKE IT! thumb.gif

My Site, My Book
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Welcome to The Challenges!!! wave.gifs

I'm late to the party on this (been kinda awol with feedback threads - sorry folks) but I LOVE the idea, and agree with many of the comments you've already had!

I'm not 100% sold on the earth however - I know you've had to work so hard on it, but I feel like there's still more to get out of that.

Have you considered pursuing the "chocolate" theme, and making something earthlike out of other sweets that you could then photograph? I know, I know - TONS of work, but it's just what occurred to me as I read through the thread and if you have time (and are as obsessed as the rest of us in here rolleyes1.gif)....

In any case, great idea, and it's coming together very nicely. clap.gif

Edited to add: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you photograph a photograph and that counts as "yours" for the challenge? So if you can find a nice coffee-table book with an earth image, that might also be an option... (again, somebody please correct my understanding of the rules if this is NOT allowable)
    edited July 21, 2009
    I like what you've done with it so far. clap.gif Is it possible to get more clouds on that earth? Kind of like in these images: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=earth&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    Arrrrrgh!!!!!headscratch.gif

It is in the same gallery as the others... I don't get it. I'll move galleries and try again in this post... External links enabled.Here goes:

Anything??? I don't get it... I post it, just like I post the other pictures... Look it after the post... Leave... Then get a reply saying it is not visible. I go back and it's gone... headscratch.gif I promise, I'm not that dumb. THANKS for the patience. thumb.gif

Hope this works... I see it now... But then again, it was there the other times when I left. Gremlins???
    :D It could be.... those gremlins are rotten little buggers.
    have you checked next to the picture in your gallery, the "Hide Photo" box? That is sometimes the problem.