DSS #29 what do you guys think

HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited July 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
593948630_ysVU4-XL.jpg

The song is Cemetery Gates by Pantera.. a tad "harder" than most tunes for pics I have seen posted, but a song is a song.

well 1st I wanna say that I always thought there were more cemetery's with gates... boy was I wrong. After about 15 i finally found this one, not exactly what I was looking for but I am still looking. I actually thought about bringing my own gate.. I live in Western Oregon and there are a ton of po-dunk towns with tiny cemetery's just no gates or fences.. or they went away along time ago back to mother nature.

anyways I would appreciate some CC as this is my 1st entry into a contest.

things I would do different: take the photo at night, or in very low light with a long exposure. I think the sun shadows dont work well for it.. what do you guys think?

thanks
Chuck
http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Hello Chuck,

Welcome aboard.. I like your entry. However, it is in need of some levels and curves adjustments as it is too flat.headscratch.gif

I would pull it into PS and work with the middle slider on levels and then work with it in curves to brighten the range up a bit and give us some contrast. Also, some sharpening is needed in order to bring out the steel work.

Other than that, I like the composition and think you nailed the song title perfectly with a very nice shot... thumb.gifD

P.S > I am not sure a night shot would work very well, I think you would lose the detail in the cemetery due to all the tree coverage. I am not certain...

Kat
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Pantera, nice! I remember that when this challenge was first announced someone said "How would you shoot a Metallica song?" I suggested Whiskey in the Jar. :D

Anyway, I agree with Kat. Also, could you go back and reshoot without the trees immediately behind the gates? Some of the dark ironwork gets lost in the dark tones of the trees behind... maybe get down low and shoot so that the sky is behind the gates, really showing the iron work?

It might not hurt to keep looking for other cemeteries with gates that allow you to see some gravestones inside. I know of the perfect place, but it's in Tallahassee, Florida, so I guess that's out of your range. :)

And I know this is TOTALLY unrelated, but... the 's is only used for the possesive (i.e., John's shoes, the dog's tail, the girls' coats, etc.), all plurals are just plain, boring s. so one cemetery, two cemeteries. one gate, two gates. one thing, two things. Ok, ok. I'm done! I'm really really sorry about that, I'm just a weirdo and that makes me crazy :)

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your next version thumb.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Too bad you're not in lower CT. Lots of cemetery gates here.

You've gotten good advice from Kinkajou and Kat. The cemetery gate you've found may work, but right now it doesn't really grab the viewer. It really needs to tell a story or at least depict a mood. I'm not familiar with the song, but is it sad? tearful? scary? hopeful? Lighting and dramatic composition are going to be necessary to make a set of gates into a compelling image. The good news is that this is a monthlong Challenge. So you still have time to work the subject, or find something entirely different, if you're so inclined!
  • HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    yeah I am still looking.. I know what I want... I am tempted to bring a gate with me... I think its a lot harder to find a song and then take a picture then it is to take a good picture then find a song to match.

and thank you to the grammar police..... :)
    http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nice idea and composition, but I would have seen a less clean cemetery to go with the song (and I know these ones are pretty hard to find...)
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Howitzer wrote:

and thank you to the grammar police..... :)

Ha! I'm such a pain in the butt, I'm sorry :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!