Cleaning

urteurte Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited July 18, 2009 in Holy Macro
When I started on macro I didnt clean my lens that often, but when taking macro picturet the lens is much more sensetive to dirt. How do you clean your lens? and whats the best way to do it?

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    urte wrote:
    When I started on macro I didnt clean my lens that often, but when taking macro picturet the lens is much more sensetive to dirt. How do you clean your lens? and whats the best way to do it?

Think you will find it is not dirt on the lens but dust on the sensor that shows in macro shots.
    Having tried most of the methods of sensor cleaning, I find a sensorklean pen the easiest (and also one of the cheapest). But suggest you read up on sensor cleaning before even thinking about it.
    Brian v.
  • urteurte Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    but if it was on the sensor it would also show on normal photos, it does not
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    urte wrote:
    but if it was on the sensor it would also show on normal photos, it does not

No it doesn't show on normal shots normally because you are using smaller aperutres and higher magnifications. This effectively narrows the light beam to almost parallel which makes the sensor spots show up more.
    As has often been commented- nothing shows sensor dust like an MPE-65 lens at 5X magnification. The other reason for not showing in normal shots is macro shots often have much plainer OOF backgrounds.
    Brian v.
    Try taking a shot of a lightish plain background with one of your other lenses with the shot completely out of focus and around F16 - bet the same spots show.

Brian v.