Painted Hills

Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in Landscapes
A 6 shot pano of the Painted Hills in the John Day Fossil beds central Oregon

585066202_yRsCo-XL-2.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Nice pano, Al. The colors are a bit too saturated, I think, but it's a pleasing shot none-the-less. thumb.gif

Painted Hills is one of my favorite places in Oregon to visit and photograph. When we were there last, we stayed in the town of Mitchell. There is a caged bear there that some guy feeds by hand and has raised by himself since the bear was a cub. Did you visit that area by any chance?
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Thanks

I chopped back the saturation what do you think?

594461332_Lm45z-XL.jpg

I didn't stop in Mitchel, I've heard about that guy with the bear. The stories I've heard say that he used to wrestle the bear.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Allan FG wrote:
    Thanks

I chopped back the saturation what do you think?

594461332_Lm45z-XL.jpg

I didn't stop in Mitchel, I've heard about that guy with the bear. The stories I've heard say that he used to wrestle the bear.

I like this version much more! The colors look a lot more nature now, I think. What do you think?

Ya, I actually met that guy and he did wrestle with the bear. He's a little older now, but built like a tank! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 19, 2009
    I agree the colors look better now, thanks.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Nice composition and you made a good choice by creating a panorama for this scene.
    I actually happen to prefer the saturation levels of the first image but the sky seems a little unnatural. Maybe if you could take the foreground of the original version and combine it with the sky of the second, you'd have the right balance.
    edited July 19, 2009
    Thanks

I will give that a try and see how it looks, I'm thinking of printing this one.
    edited August 6, 2009
    Here is another go with the sky less saturated.

613158199_KqAGX-XL.jpg
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Allan FG wrote:
    A 6 shot pano of the Painted Hills in the John Day Fossil beds central Oregon

585066202_yRsCo-XL-2.jpg
    wow ive always wanted to shoot panorama! i just dont know how to do it yet! haha i love this pic the composition and the view! just a soft CC i do find the sky a bit saturated and the hues on the mountains gives it a painting effect instead of a more natural look over all it still is a great shot!.bowdown.gif
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."