Meet Tiffany

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited July 20, 2009 in People
This is Tiffany, a friend of mine that makes hand made jewelry from just about anything you can imagine. I had originally intended to take a few shots of her 1 year old daughter, but ended up taken shots of her because the daughter was taking a nap, and didn't want to disturb her.

#1 Here she is working on earrings I beleive
593380475_y93XS-L.jpg

#2 Here she is taking a short break to talk to us.
593402576_oYZ86-L.jpg

#3 Here she is making a link for the earring she is working on.
593380533_oj9Aa-L.jpg

#4 Here she is adding the link to the earring.
593380497_5ty52-L.jpg

#5 A sample of some necklaces she creates
593399119_pb7y7-L.jpg

#6 Here is a sample of some earrings she creates.
593399223_GUgn9-L.jpg

#7 Here she is showing off one of her new kitties.
593377992_4C3p3-L.jpg

I can't wait to go back and take some photos of her one year old daughter. Hopefully in a few days I'll get some free time to go back. Anyway, C&C welcomed on these photos.

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    hey gary!

it's nice to see her busy, its certainly a craft making jewelry!

From a photographic point of view there are a few nits to pick IMO and since you welcomed C&C i thought i'd jump in.

There are a few things that stand out in these shots:

the lighting.. its kind of hard and direct. it also made the background black where i would think the background could add to the portraits! showing her workplace could add a lot of power.

Composition.. its kind of smack down right in the middle most of the times. most shots also have the same composition, it would be nice to have different compositions and maybe some shots focussing on different aspects like her hands or including more of her body/surroundings.

there is a distinct softness in the upper left corner of some photos.. i was first thinking of a lensbaby but since you dont have it in your gearlist im not so sure. its certainly not doing anything for the shot.

hope i havent put you off with these comments, but i think that taking these aspects in the next time would give you some better results.

i like the last one the best!

Chris
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    hey gary!

it's nice to see her busy, its certainly a craft making jewelry!

From a photographic point of view there are a few nits to pick IMO and since you welcomed C&C i thought i'd jump in.

There are a few things that stand out in these shots:

the lighting.. its kind of hard and direct. it also made the background black where i would think the background could add to the portraits! showing her workplace could add a lot of power.

Composition.. its kind of smack down right in the middle most of the times. most shots also have the same composition, it would be nice to have different compositions and maybe some shots focussing on different aspects like her hands or including more of her body/surroundings.

there is a distinct softness in the upper left corner of some photos.. i was first thinking of a lensbaby but since you dont have it in your gearlist im not so sure. its certainly not doing anything for the shot.

hope i havent put you off with these comments, but i think that taking these aspects in the next time would give you some better results.

i like the last one the best!

Chris

Points well taken. As for the lens question, I was trying out the wide angle lens adapter that screws onto the end of my 18-70 lens. As for the harsh lighting, I was experimenting with the SB600 with the difuser pulled down. I deliberatly kept the DOF shallow as I sorta intended those photos to be a business portrait. Next time I'm there, I will include some of the background as you suggested, cause after reviewing the photos, I see you point. I will also just use the 18-70 lens only next time to see if part of the softness on the outer edges were because of the lens adapter, which I have a feeling it was. Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    As for the lens question, I was trying out the wide angle lens adapter that screws onto the end of my 18-70 lens. GaryB

Wow. thats some harsh distortion from the lens adapter. if its that profound, you can only use it for the sort of gritty abandoned factory shots.. eek7.gif

Im interested in how your next shoot will look, hopefully someone else will jump in too, im not really in the portrait bussiness so my advice is of limited credability :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • NicolasNicolas Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Some good shots, I definitely get a sense of her work and attention to detail from these. My advice- I would try and mix up your approach, try shooting from a variety of angles since 1, 3, and 4 are all very similar. For example, try shooting over her shoulder as she is working on a piece blurring out her shoulder with sharp focus on the earring. Try to find as many creative ways to shoot this as possible. Also I would try pulling your SB600 off camera and using the wireless commander feature or keeping it on the camera and bouncing it off the ceiling/wall to get rid of those shadows on her arm.
    Nice work though, I think whoever sees this will appreciate all the work she puts into her jewelry.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Nicolas wrote:
    Some good shots, I definitely get a sense of her work and attention to detail from these. My advice- I would try and mix up your approach, try shooting from a variety of angles since 1, 3, and 4 are all very similar. For example, try shooting over her shoulder as she is working on a piece blurring out her shoulder with sharp focus on the earring. Try to find as many creative ways to shoot this as possible. Also I would try pulling your SB600 off camera and using the wireless commander feature or keeping it on the camera and bouncing it off the ceiling/wall to get rid of those shadows on her arm.
    Nice work though, I think whoever sees this will appreciate all the work she puts into her jewelry.

Thanks for the reply Nik! I will give your suggestions a try next time. Off camera flash never crossed my mind at the moment. I was prepared to be crawling around on the floor taking photos of her daughter, but ended up shooting her because the daughter was taking a nap. :D I never like going home empty handed when I have my camera with me.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    I will echo the distortion issue..the image quality is not so good. When you say you pulled down teh diffuser on the SB600..are you referring to the slide out piece of plastic on the flash itself? This is not really a diffuser per se..it's only purpose to give a more wide angle to the flash area.

You really need to bounce the flash or diffuse it with proper diffuser to get your lighitng correct.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com