Magical Mystery Light (Star Trails on Mt. Baker)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 21, 2009 in Landscapes
From an impulse trip to Mt. Baker yesterday evening. The forecast was clear, so I was planning on shooting Mt. Shuksan at sunset, Mt. Baker at sunrise, and stars in between. There was an hour delay in traffic so I missed the peak sunset light, but waited around to shoot the stars over Mt. Shuksan (and, this is hard to believe after all this time, but I've never attempted to shoot stars before!).

That didn't go so well (might have a few salvagable shots) due to interference from car lights, airplanes, and a bright planet that decided to peak over the mountain halfway through a 20 minute exposure :D

Around midnight I headed up to Artist Point to shoot stars over Mt. Baker, and was very surprised when I saw the first image come back on the LCD screen!

594494083_hrRJt-L.jpg

I took a lot of 3-6 minute exposures. Unfortunately the shot above was my last shot (taken around 2AM) as my battery drained on the next one.

Anyway, now it's time for a nap, as I've been up for about 30 hours on 5 hours of sleep :D

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Gorgeous colors for a midnight shot I would think. Are the colors the glow from a distant city?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    beautiful! the silouetted trees give a nice depth and drama! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Yup, gotta love light pollution :( Though you put it in a very pleasing color format. The yellow is coming from all the street lamps - mercury halide.

4 minute exposures will definitely capture the ambient light.
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Love the color of the sky! You don't usually see star trails with a sky that color. Now get some sleep! ;)
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 18, 2009
    Great photo! The color of the sky is amazing. I see a light trail on the slope of the mountain - people going to the top maybe?
    I hope you caught some well deserved sleep. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Beautiful colors. I would also be interested in knowing if that is sky shine.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Fantastic shot, Ron! thumb.gifclap.gif I love the colors in the sky. It almost looks like you timed it just right and the sun is about to come up. Star trails can be tricky when there is light pollution, but you did an awesome job. Very sharp too!

Monday, I'm hoping for a clear night at Point of Arch, so I can do some star trail photography with those beautiful haystack rocks as FG elements. Wish me luck. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Great photo! The color of the sky is amazing. I see a light trail on the slope of the mountain - people going to the top maybe?
    I hope you caught some well deserved sleep. :D

Ana

Good eye - yes, that was a group of climbers on the mountain. I caught up on sleep a little, but then fell behind again as I just got back from Mt. Rainier after shooting star trails there. This will be a fun work week :D
    edited July 19, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Fantastic shot, Ron! thumb.gifclap.gif I love the colors in the sky. It almost looks like you timed it just right and the sun is about to come up. Star trails can be tricky when there is light pollution, but you did an awesome job. Very sharp too!

Monday, I'm hoping for a clear night at Point of Arch, so I can do some star trail photography with those beautiful haystack rocks as FG elements. Wish me luck. :D

That should be great. I've wanted to do star trails at the beach but I either gave up because I was too tired (or had to drive back home to go to work the next day), or the sky was too overcast. Just don't park the tripod *too* close to the beach :D
    edited July 19, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Here's another shot zoomed in quite a bit:

594495117_dKTKj-L.jpg

The light pollution wasn't at all obvious with the naked eye, but it did make the shot look quite a bit different than otherwise.
    edited July 19, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Just don't park the tripod *too* close to the beach :D

Oh yes! That's very good advice. Thank you. thumb.gif

Mahesh
    edited July 19, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Here's another shot zoomed in quite a bit:

594495117_dKTKj-L.jpg

The light pollution wasn't at all obvious with the naked eye, but it did make the shot look quite a bit different than otherwise.

This one is fantastic too! Love that color in the sky. thumb.gif

Mahesh
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    These are some really cool shots! I actually happen to like the second one you posted more. I had no idea that there would be so much light pollution up there. I guess it makes sense with the proximity of Bellingham and Vancouver...

Did you get a chance to read that star trails tutorial I sent you?
    edited July 19, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    These are some really cool shots! I actually happen to like the second one you posted more. I had no idea that there would be so much light pollution up there. I guess it makes sense with the proximity of Bellingham and Vancouver...

Did you get a chance to read that star trails tutorial I sent you?

Thanks! Yeah I read the tutorial ( http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/725769/0 ), and I'll definitely try it out some of the techniques when I have a (smaller) subject that faces true north and a little more wide angle of a composition to have the full circular star trail and some decent foreground elements. For these mountain shots I think a partial trail actually looks good.

I used to sleep during the night between sunset and sunrise, but now that I can shoot stars at night, it means the only time to sleep is during the day :D
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    At this rate you will be hooked with capturing the galactic center. Thats what got me to purchase a DSLR in the first place Laughing.gif. Night photography is so... serene. Once your hooked its a whole new level imho.

Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
    edited July 20, 2009
    Robbug wrote:
    At this rate you will be hooked with capturing the galactic center. Thats what got me to purchase a DSLR in the first place Laughing.gif. Night photography is so... serene. Once your hooked its a whole new level imho.

Rob

Yeah, and another 10 hours of shooting time in the winter :D

What did I get myself into?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    You are absolutely amazing. bowdown.gif Getting to shoot with you is now on my bucket list rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 20, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    You are absolutely amazing. bowdown.gif Getting to shoot with you is now on my bucket list rolleyes1.gif

It'll happen some day, I'm not going anywhere deal.gif

As much as I'd like to take credit here, it was the light pollution and luck more than anything. Once I found out that road to Artist Point was open I got excited (usually doesn't happen until August), so I had to check it out.

In a few weeks the trails should start to open the snow will start to melt more and there will be a lot of little tarns around to catch reflections of Baker and Shuksan.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Man for your first time....you did good. I love the compostion and the sky almost looks like the arora borealis in a monochromatic way. Well done
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    As much as I'd like to take credit here, it was the light pollution and luck more than anything. Once I found out that road to Artist Point was open I got excited (usually doesn't happen until August), so I had to check it out.

Light pollution ain't half bad, looking at this. The color is just jaw-dropping. So this hue is from a nearby town?
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    spectacular images, ron. this series and the ones from rainier turned out really well. mount baker/artist point is one of my favorite places on earth. apparently it remains incredible even in the height of night, when you can't appreciate it with the naked eye. way to go in capturing on digital film what we otherwise would have missed. kudos!
    -dan
  • MaryBooMaryBoo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Could this have been caused by the northern lights instead of light pollution?
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Light pollution ain't half bad, looking at this. The color is just jaw-dropping. So this hue is from a nearby town?

nearest town of any consequence is Bellingham, which is about 35 miles away as the crow flies. there are some little blink-and-you-miss-em towns like Deming, Glacier, etc., along the way, but they don't put out much light, not enough to tint the whole sky. Bellingham's a good-sized city, though, and could probably do the damage all by itself, especially in a 3-5 minute exposure...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited July 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:

I definitely wasn't expecting that color, probably from Bellingham, I'll be up there again several more times this year and see if I can get a repeat performance *with* enough battery power :D
    edited July 21, 2009
    dls wrote:
    spectacular images, ron. this series and the ones from rainier turned out really well. mount baker/artist point is one of my favorite places on earth. apparently it remains incredible even in the height of night, when you can't appreciate it with the naked eye. way to go in capturing on digital film what we otherwise would have missed. kudos!
    -dan

Thanks Dan - Artist Point is indeed spectacular, 360 degree views of two very photogenic peaks, it's good in all seasons too, wildflowers in the summer, autumn colors in the fall, and a ton of snow in the winter (need to get up there in the winter some time).