Road to the Mountains

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Landscapes
I spent a few weeks in Montana with my family at the beginning of July. The weather didn't cooperate much for photography (clear beautiful skies most of the time), but I did manage to get out a few times while I was there.

594124295_xwebF-XL-2.jpg

This was captured along the front range of the Rockies, near the town of Choteau. I've always loved how this road seems to go on straight forever right to the mountains. The colors here are a bit overbaked, but I like how the image came out.

Tech Details: Shot with Canon 30D and 10-22 at 22mm. 10 vertical pano frames stitched with Panorama Factory. Each pano frame bracketted at -1/0/+1 (30 images total). Tone mapped with Photomatix and finished in CS4. phew.

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Another fantastic shot, James! I love the saturation in the sky. The blues in the sky are great too, but I may have toned them down a bit on the road, fence, and mountains. But that is such a minor nit. Great job! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 19, 2009
    What a beautiful scene! I love the serenity and the composition. The colors are great, but like Mahesh I would tone down the blues just a bit. Excellent work! thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Montana is such a beautiful state. Just drove through there and was able to grab a few good photos myself. I agree with above. I love the colors. If you could tone the road down a notch then you would have a perfect photo imho. Great job!
    Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Very nice! I'd bring down the blue in the road a bit and make it some more natural tones. Everything else about this is awesome.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    I feel like I want to take off running down that road! The saturation is a wee bit strong for the road on this monitor. Very inviting still!
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Agree with the others. Great light and composition, but the blue is a little intense.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Another fantastic shot, James! I love the saturation in the sky. The blues in the sky are great too, but I may have toned them down a bit on the road, fence, and mountains. But that is such a minor nit. Great job! thumb.gifclap.gif

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks! You are right about the blue. This is actually my second edit of the picture, and I toned down the blues in the shadows quite a bit. It nees a bit more still. :)

James
    edited July 20, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    What a beautiful scene! I love the serenity and the composition. The colors are great, but like Mahesh I would tone down the blues just a bit. Excellent work! thumb.gif

Ana

Thanks Ana! Sorry for the late reply. I'm going to work to tone the blues down in the shadows some. Take care,

James
    edited July 20, 2009
    Robbug wrote:
    Montana is such a beautiful state. Just drove through there and was able to grab a few good photos myself. I agree with above. I love the colors. If you could tone the road down a notch then you would have a perfect photo imho. Great job!
    Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. It definately is beautiful there. I try to get back there as often as I can. For the picture, I'll definately tone it down some.

James
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    really a peaceful image, thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 21, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Very nice! I'd bring down the blue in the road a bit and make it some more natural tones. Everything else about this is awesome.

I'm finally getting back to replying on this shot. Thanks for the feedback, and I agree. I need to go back for round 3 of redoing this shot. :)

James
    edited July 21, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I feel like I want to take off running down that road! The saturation is a wee bit strong for the road on this monitor. Very inviting still!

Thanks! That's the same way I've always felt when driving by this particular road. :) Thanks for the feedback.

James
    edited July 21, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Agree with the others. Great light and composition, but the blue is a little intense.

Thanks Hawkeye! Appreciate the feedback. :)

James
    edited July 21, 2009
    really a peaceful image, thumb.gif

Thanks Aaron!

James
    edited July 23, 2009
    Ok, I finally got a few minutes to redo this shot. Here's the new version:

599779239_Dp8mW-XL-1.jpg

What do you all think?

Thanks!

James
    jamesl wrote:
    I spent a few weeks in Montana with my family at the beginning of July. The weather didn't cooperate much for photography (clear beautiful skies most of the time), but I did manage to get out a few times while I was there.

594124295_xwebF-XL-2.jpg

This was captured along the front range of the Rockies, near the town of Choteau. I've always loved how this road seems to go on straight forever right to the mountains. The colors here are a bit overbaked, but I like how the image came out.

Tech Details: Shot with Canon 30D and 10-22 at 22mm. 10 vertical pano frames stitched with Panorama Factory. Each pano frame bracketted at -1/0/+1 (30 images total). Tone mapped with Photomatix and finished in CS4. phew.
    edited July 23, 2009
    a striking difference for the better imo.

(im shocked by the re-vision)(WB adjustment? or something fancy?)
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    edited July 23, 2009
    a striking difference for the better imo.

(im shocked by the re-vision)(WB adjustment? or something fancy?)

Thanks Aaron! :D It was pretty much a complete rework, starting all the way from the source images. I redid the HDR tone mapping, as that is where most of the problems arose. I've also starting using a different, less saturated workflow for my tone mapped HDRs, and I prefer the differences. Here's another example of old vs new:

Old:
    139994627_3kVe5-L-5.jpg

New:
    598933644_uUUBW-XL-7.jpg

What do think?

Thanks,

James
    edited July 23, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Much much better imo thumb.gif

Thanks Dan!

James
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    whoa. A huge difference. Now you have a classic image there. Nice capture and post processing.
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • d7freestylerd7freestyler Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Great shot! I love the rework. clap.gif
    edited July 24, 2009
    Robbug wrote:
    whoa. A huge difference. Now you have a classic image there. Nice capture and post processing.

Thanks! Glad the new version works better for you. thumb.gif
    edited July 24, 2009
    Great shot! I love the rework. clap.gif

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. :D
    edited July 24, 2009
    jamesl wrote:
    Old:
    139994627_3kVe5-M-5.jpg

New:
    598933644_uUUBW-M-7.jpg

What do think?

Thanks,

James

again the rework in the FG is an improvement, far more natural in dynamics to the eye IMO.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 25, 2009
    again the rework in the FG is an improvement, far more natural in dynamics to the eye IMO.

Thanks Aaron! That is really what I am going for, and working in HDR I tend to get a bit carried away. rolleyes1.gif Hopefully this new workflow will help me in reworking my images.

Take care,

James
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    jamesl wrote:
    Thanks Aaron! That is really what I am going for, and working in HDR I tend to get a bit carried away. rolleyes1.gif Hopefully this new workflow will help me in reworking my images.

Take care,

James

Your reworks are excellent! HDR is still a scary pool to dip my toe in but you're really getting the hang of it and inspiring me.
    edited July 28, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Your reworks are excellent! HDR is still a scary pool to dip my toe in but you're really getting the hang of it and inspiring me.

Sorry again for the late reply. Thanks Schmoo! It's definately intimidating when you frist start working with it. I really like to avoid the overprocessed HDR look, and that takes particular care to do so. You should definately give it a shot, though. I think Photomatix has a demo version. That is the program I use. Good luck!

James