he was drinking, she was shopping

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 2, 2004 in People
today, i got to spend lunch time with my good friend and fine photographer harry behret, he's also my business partner. we were downtown nyc, taking care of some business for our workshop that starts tomorrow. after we got our work done, we enjoyed a fine lunch (pasta, on carmine street in the west village) and then we did a bit of shooting.

this gent was enjoying a noontime cocktail. growing up, i remember a neighbor friend of my folks who was fond of saying "it must be 5pm somewhere!" hehehe... shot handheld at iso 400 about 200mm focal length, 1/20th sec and f/5.6.

4406722-L.jpg

this lady was in really bright sunshine so i had to put a little effort into the shot in post. i like the result, do you? normally, middday full bright sun yields so so results, and this shot was no exception... the flowers were sort of washed out...hence the b&w...

4406723-L.jpg

enjoy (street) photography,

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 21, 2004
    Both of these have a similar them. The people seem to be contemplating
    something. The drinker is a bit too distracting but technically good. I like the
    shopper and the treatment you've given it.

As always, I am impressed with your work!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Is that your TRi-X Pan move on the second one? As always, I'm impressed by your steady hands. Please tell me you were using the IS lens. Please.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    andy wrote:
    this gent was enjoying a noontime cocktail. growing up, i remember a neighbor friend of my folks who was fond of saying "it must be 5pm somewhere!" hehehe... shot handheld at iso 400 about 200mm focal length, 1/20th sec and f/5.6.

4406722-L.jpg
    Andy,
    This photo speaks tomes.
    Polished boots, socks that match his jacket, hair well groomed. Yet, there he sits, mid-day, stooped at the bar, which looks like a fairly high class establishment.
    It makes you wonder, "Did the interview not go well?" "Did he not get the contract?" "Did he just lose his job? His wife? Custody of his kids?"
    He just looks, sad.
    I like the choice of depth of field. The rich quality that came through in the bar back, the shine of the doors and the rail work, the reflection of woman passing by, in the glass. But mostly the irony of the No Parking sign in the reflection, as well. The weight of the composition feels good, too. You really have an eye and a hand for what you do, and I thoroughly enjoy looking at your work.

My thoughts.
    ginette

As a small after thought after gazing at the image a bit longer, I might crop out the bottom of the photo, just a bit... perhaps an inch... to quiet it down some.
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

It makes you wonder, "Did the interview not go well?" "Did he not get the contract?" "Did he just lose his job? His wife? Custody of his kids?"
    He just looks, sad.
    I don't know . . . if you had to sit through the soul crushingly tedious meeting I attended this morning (your tax dollars at work!) you'd look at Andy's excellent picture in a more positive light. Beats workin'! :D
    Tim
    edited May 26, 2004
    I don't know . . . if you had to sit through the soul crushingly tedious meeting I attended this morning (your tax dollars at work!) you'd look at Andy's excellent picture in a more positive light. Beats workin'! :D

Well Tim...
    Depends on how you look at it I guess...
    Job=paycheck
    Paycheck=Money
    Money= Shelter + Food + Ability to afford Photograpic Habit

Aughh... When I see it that way, I need a job!

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Andy,
    This photo speaks tomes.
    Polished boots, socks that match his jacket, hair well groomed. Yet, there he sits, mid-day, stooped at the bar, which looks like a fairly high class establishment.
    He just looks, sad.
    I like the choice of depth of field. The rich quality that came through in the bar back, the shine of the doors and the rail work, the reflection of woman passing by, in the glass. But mostly the irony of the No Parking sign in the reflection, as well. The weight of the composition feels good, too. You really have an eye and a hand for what you do, and I thoroughly enjoy looking at your work.

My thoughts.
    ginette

As a small after thought after gazing at the image a bit longer, I might crop out the bottom of the photo, just a bit... perhaps an inch... to quiet it down some.

altpro, thank you sooooooo much for your thourough and thoughtful comment here on my images. i very much appreciate you telling me how my work makes you "feel." this was great. cheers....
    edited June 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    altpro, thank you sooooooo much for your thourough and thoughtful comment here on my images. i very much appreciate you telling me how my work makes you "feel." this was great. cheers....
    de rien.
    ginette