Someones not happy.... cc please.

HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited July 27, 2009 in People
My friends son got a little upset when his sister didnt want to play.. I had been shooting a 16-85 zoom all afternoon but light was getting low so I switched to a 50mm 1.8 just in time to capture some more emotion of the moment.

I think its one of the best portrait shots ive ever taken. But I am curious what you guys think.. always looking for some guidance from much more trained eyes.

ISO 200
F/1.8
50mm
1/200
flash used

595062154_9k6Hi-XL.jpg

the rest of the gallery is here:
http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/8957753_FG8UV/1/595062154_9k6Hi

thanks
Chuck
http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    I couldn't help but laugh. Super cute.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • 80weeks80weeks Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2009
  • tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    yea ! the 1.8 produce a bit harsh blur but i think it works nicely,
    i got a 1.4 (pentax) and it seems a bit smoother than this.
    i really love the fast lens because of shots like you have here.
    really cool shot, great capture of expression!
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Awww! I love the look on his face! And his blue eyes are gorgeous!
  • rickabtrickabt Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    I love this shot!
    If I had to nit pick I'd say his right eye looks a little soft (or at least softer than the left eye). Maybe some selective sharpening to the blue in PS would lessen this. (then again maybe not, or maybe you already did.) Maybe just slightly more depth of field when shooting would have been better....But hindsight is useless for shots like this....a fleeting moment...not staged...only a split second to get the shot! Great job!!
  • HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    thank you all for the nice comments.

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Nice shot, great expression!

As mentioned above, the eyes do look a tad soft, but that's the danger of shooting at 1.8. The DOF is razor-thin and it's easy to miss the correct focus (plus I don't know how sharp that lens is). I would try to shoot at at least 2.2 (or higher) on the 50/1.8, unless you can't for some reason. In this case, you also had your flash and higher iso available to allow you to use 2.2 or smaller.

I'm not really a big fan of the bokeh/background blur (as mentioned above, as well). It's not very smooth. It looks like that is just the lens though, not much you can do about it.

The difference in color between the left and right side background is interesting. At first I thought it was selective coloring, but it looks like the real background was just 'colored' that way :D
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Lovely image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited July 20, 2009
    After looking at the series of shots I think what I did was put the center of the focal point at the point where his hair and forehead meet above his left eye. I was standing he was sitting so shooting down on him might have caused my miss aim.

Ivar, yes the color of the back ground is real. left side is gravel right side is grass, he is sitting on a wall in between.

I am pretty sure its not the lens causing the softness, its my inability to use the lens the correct way.. but im working on it. :). I had brought my camera that day to practice on portraits, which obviously I need more, but I already knew that mwink.gif.

Chuck

edited July 20, 2009
    here is another I shot that day with my Nikkor 16-85 zoom at 85mm. f/5.6
    he was kind of expressionless so I think the photo doesnt have the charm of the other one.. but its clear :)

thank you all for your feed back and comments.

595062316_LjxYg-X2.jpg

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 20, 2009
    I think your first shot is, in a word, Fantastic!

while all the input you received is valid do keep in mind, some of the most famous photographs thoughout time have not been "technically" perfect.
    edited July 20, 2009
    Thank you Angelo

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Hi Chuck,
    The lighting on this shot is awesome and his expression you will remember for the rest of your life. Great rendition of his hair too. In fact, I'd like to see more of it--an improvement would have been to capture his whole head--the cutoff bothers me. I would have gladly swapped an inch of his head for an inch of his shirt.
    Sweet shot regardless.

M
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Great shot and that is some crazy DOF. So glad you were able to capture this moment before it was gone. Truly is a keeper. :)
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I think Muguel must have been reading my mind when he posted. I too would have like to see the whole head in lieu of so much shirt. I would echo comments about the soft eyes. Other than that I think this is a really nice shot of capturing the mood of this precious little guy.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • jonvanjonvan Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Lovely image.

Great shot - i like the crop as well...actually I like the whole thing!

Cheers,
    Jon
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    I really like this shot. Great expression, but like the others said I wish both eyes were in focus. Still too good of a shot for it not to be a keeper.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    He's got the "tude" face down to a science it seems! Great shot. Will work someday for a birthday invitation. Maybe like when he is 16 and they tell him he can't have a car!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited July 27, 2009
    hahah that's too funny.

thank you all for the nice comments.