Nikor 18-200 VR lens

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited July 21, 2009 in Cameras
at the beginning of the year, i purchased this lens, and i really liked the lens, for me, it was a good all purpose lens for when at times i was out and about and didn't want to lug around different lenses. however, within less than a month i had problems with the lens -> creeping - major creeping. the shop where i purchased it, had another come back for return with the same issue, so instead of sending it off under warranty, i decided to returned mine.

i miss this lens, .. . and i'm almost tempted to purchase it again, in hopes that i have a better outcome. however, i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, with this lens ... or can suggest something similar?

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Many of the "superzooms" suffer from "zoom-creep"; it's a feature of the lens, and most folk learn to live with it… …or not!

I've had my 18-200 for nearly a year, and quite honestly I've not found it to be a major problem.

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 19, 2009
    My copy has the creeps also. For me, it's not an issue...
    edited July 19, 2009
    so like, even when i would be say, walking and having the camera around my neck, and if the camera were tilted even slightly downward, the lens would extend out -> it wasn't slow, it would drop out immediately and fast -> even this is normal for this lens?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 19, 2009
    If by "normal" you mean, "Does it happen a lot?", I would say yes, it does happen a lot:

http://tiny.cc/sj9a6
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 19, 2009
    thanks for all the reply's!
  • LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Try a 1/2 inch wide rubber band
    hey there... I had this lens. I did sell it for "better" glass though the compromise is certainly versatility. For walk around I use the old 28-105mm AF on my D700 or the 18-105mm AF-S VR (kit lens) on my D90. I like the sharpness and contrast of these lenses better.
    Anyhow, when I did use the 18-200 I found and used a half-inch wide rubber band on the lens. The rubber band would be positioned to span part lens body and part zoom ring. It was just tight enough to prevent zoom creep but not too tight so as to interfere with zooming. I'd suggest you try a similar solution and respond to this thread with your results.
    - Life and Lens
    Tom Schauer
    Life and Lens Photography
    www.lifeandlens.com
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    FWIW... I purchased the 18-200mm at the same time I got my D90, about 8 months ago. It is the only lens i have, and travels with me everywhere. I have not experienced any of the problems that you all are describing... ne_nau.gif
    Duke
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    dixonduke wrote:
    FWIW... I purchased the 18-200mm at the same time I got my D90, about 8 months ago. It is the only lens i have, and travels with me everywhere. I have not experienced any of the problems that you all are describing... ne_nau.gif

+1

I've had the same combo since April and have not had any problems. In fact, I would say it's limited to just being noticably easier to zoom in if it's pointing down, that's it.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you need to take it back to the store.
    edited July 19, 2009
    again, thanks for all the input ............
    it has helped my thought/decision making .......
    cheers,
    l.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    at the beginning of the year, i purchased this lens, and i really liked the lens, for me, it was a good all purpose lens for when at times i was out and about and didn't want to lug around different lenses. however, within less than a month i had problems with the lens -> creeping - major creeping. the shop where i purchased it, had another come back for return with the same issue, so instead of sending it off under warranty, i decided to returned mine.

i miss this lens, .. . and i'm almost tempted to purchase it again, in hopes that i have a better outcome. however, i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, with this lens ... or can suggest something similar?

My BIGMA creeps, my 70-210 f2.8 and mmy 24-70 f2.8 both Sigmas and neither do any creeping even when hung straight down being carried.......and my newly acquired 18-200 VR does not creep......I just took hold of my D300 with the 18-200 attached and pretty violently shook it in a downwanrd motion several times and it did not move......so I would say unless the lens is very old (mine range in age from 2yrs (nikon 18-200) to over 6yrs old (Sigma 70-210 f2.8) they should not be creeping and from your description it doesnot creep it freekin' RUNS.....needs repair I think or sold and get a new copy...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I have the lens and it creeps when held down in any focal length past 18mm. When in the 18mm position, it doesn't creep at all.
  • HimmelblauHimmelblau Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2009
    Back in 2007, I had this lens and after four months, I noticed that it suffered from lens sprint when pointed downwards, it was sent back for repair. When it came back, it was a bit better but within a few days was as bad as ever.

The store I got it from allowed me to return it, and I got a Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS / HSM lens and a Nikon SB-800 Speedlight in its place. The Sigma lens has a lens locking switch.

Brian