DSS #29 possible entry

TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited July 26, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi everyone ! I'm glad to be back at the challenges :)

I didn't expect to get something for this one but I found out a song called Fireworks by Moby that couldn't match better to this shot I got on Bastille day.

595405151_P8qqM-L.jpg

It might not be very original though, and the picture may need some adjustments (maybe the title as well). What do you think about pp adjustment ? (A reshoot won't be possible before next year :D )
Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Holy cow! I'm not sure there's of anything you can do to improve upon this shot except maybe play with a few different crops.

The only nit I have with this is your choice of song title. You've chosen a gorgeous instrumental piece but not a "song". In order for an instrumental piece to be classified as a song, it requires words. ne_nau.gif I don't know how picky the judges will be in narrowing down their top 10 picks.

Since you shot this on Bastille Day, the first song that came to my mind was "La Marseillaise". Or perhaps there's something from Les Miserables that may also be suitable and more to your liking.

You haven't been around in a while. It's great to see you posting again. :D
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Thanks Linda ! I was very busy with my job (final exams for students) in the past months so I couldn't give much time to the challenges.

I realized that the song I chose wasn't really a song when I posted... I'll have to find another title... La Marseillaise is a nice idea, or maybe another french revolutionary song (the tower in my shot kinda look loke the Bastille tower itself)

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    It is a nice shot, very pretty.. Although, the tree limbs are a little distracting.. but then one could argue that they serve to frame the capture too..

The post process is good and I can't really add anything to what Linda said, because "she" is the "Music Connoisseur" way ahead of me......:D

I say go with it, and if you have any extra time, keep shooting so you have options since there is still time before the deadline.... thumb.gif

Kat
    edited July 22, 2009
    Thanks Katrina ! I've tried to clone out the tree limbs with no real success and a square crop in order to get rid of these :

599012634_cTjfw-M.jpg

Don't know which one is better...

As for the title, I kept thinking about "La carmagnole". It's a french song from the revolution as well as "la marseillaise".

edited July 22, 2009
    The new crop looks just fine, however, if you want a little more room on top you can just crop off the heavy black part of the tree limbs and then bring in the image as a duplicate layer and mask the existing fireworks on top of what branches are left over, just be sure to set the eraser on the second layer to 30 to 40% opacity so that you can see what your doing as you erase the top layer. It should look just fine.. or, if you stick with what you have on the new crop, then that is good too. I like the song choice. The picture brings victory in war to mind when I look at it. I guess it is combination of the smoke and the fireworks...

Kat
    edited July 23, 2009
    Thanks for the advice :)

Here is a new crop, with or without the tree limbs :

599551123_LEhLb-L.jpg

599553209_Kommm-L.jpg

And title is still "La carmagnole"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UexdWkqkrp0

edited July 23, 2009
    I really like the second new crop. thumb.gif

I don't understand French, so the YouTube video really helps with the song. Love your selection. clap.gif
    edited July 23, 2009
    Man......... This is a tough one...headscratch.gif

First off, you did a super job on the fix and I am happy for you that it worked because although the square crop was ok, the taller composition works better for this shot...thumb.gif

I am stuck because I like the clean layout of #1 yes.... but then #2 with just a tiny bit of the branch showing like that, makes it look more like you were there taking the shot and less like a composite. It frames in the foreground without distracting. Even if it is not a composite, it has the look of one in capture #1 because of the pattern in the fireworks. I am on the fence about that white hot glow on the left edge "just peeking" over the edge. It gives it a cropped feel...

What say you Linda? Am I over analyzing here? headscratch.gif

Kat
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Wow, who would have thought that would happen. Nice job on removing the tree branch, but I agree that maybe it needs to be there. As I think Kat is saying, without it, one wonders why you cropped so tight. The tree branch there answers that question.

Also, for me, with the tree branch gone my eye is drawn off the top left corner looking for the rest of the fireworks. It seems incomplete. With the branch, and distracting as it initially seems, the shot is better framed, you understand why it was cropped there, and your eye can settle back to enjoying the whole scene.

But that's just me.
    edited July 23, 2009
    Linda : the video helps to understand the mood ^^

Katrina : thanks, I'm glad I was able to "clone out" the leaves but I still prefer the frame they give to the picture. It is more balanced with the leaves (or I feel it is) as Mike says. Looks like the fireworks are better captured when there's some darkness over them. Looks less cropped indeed.

So I'm finally back with these crops with different amounts of leaves :)
    #1 :
    595405151_P8qqM-L.jpg

#2 :
    599795529_yyzQg-L.jpg

#3 :
    599551123_LEhLb-L.jpg

edited July 23, 2009
    Hi,

You will notice if you re-read my post that I mentioned the framing of the leaves, so yes, I do very much agree. Out of this set, I would say #2 is best, just enough of the branches to frame but not take away from he beauty of the shot..

Very Nice and Best of Luck to You...thumb.gif

Kat
    edited July 24, 2009
    Yes, as you and Mike say :) I agree with you both (let's say that my english is far from perfect :D )

Thanks a lot for the input (#2 is my fav too so far)

edited July 24, 2009
    If #2 is your favorite, then that's the one you need to enter. :D
    edited July 24, 2009
    :D Well I like them all for different reasons... Sometimes post processing doesn't help that much... Too many possibilities... Just regarding cropping ! lol

Choosing can take so much time ^^

• achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    There also Bastille Day - Rush for a title.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."