Options

Dropped my Rebel

GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited June 22, 2005 in Cameras
I hope this is the right place to post this, my first post is not a happy one. While I was shooting a friend's wedding (as unofficial, backup photographer) I managed to drop my Rebel. I had the shoulder strap attached but was just holding it in one hand. Of course, the strap caught on something and pulled the camera from my hand. I had the kit lens and an older Canon flash (280EX?) attached at the time and it landed on a tiled floor. When I picked it up, the zooming flash was off it's rails and the camera showed Err99 when it was turned on and wouldn't take a picture. I took the lens off and the battery out and let it sit a while and when I put it back together (minus the flash gun) it seemed OK.
This weekend I was outside shooting in very overcast conditions and I've noticed a lot of chromatic abboration in a lot of my shots. I haven't yet looked back at old shots in similar conditions, but I was wondering if the fall would cause more CA. Is it possible that I've knocked something out of alignment in the lens that would cause CA? I was very surprised that the camera and lens even survived the fall, so I fully expect to have broken something. Can anyone offer advice on what to check? Do I have to take it in to the camera store..?
On the one hand, an excuse to upgrade... on the other hand, I'm glad it wasn't more expensive gear that I dropped...! Oh, and I've removed the shoulder strap..!

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Plenty can happen when a camera hits the floor. The worst part is that you could have bent the lens mount. The camera, lens and flash should all go to a Canon service center for a checkup.
  • Options
    GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Well, I fixed the flash (only shocked myself once!) and the kit lens has a plastic mount which now has a little chip on one of the bayonet parts, but I think it's largely OK.
    I'll set it up on a tripod tonight and try to take some more controlled test shots than the hand held stuff I've done since it was dropped.