My day with Shannon...

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited July 21, 2009 in People
So I took the trip out to Point Pleasant yesterday. Met Shannon (Flutis on Dgrin), what a surprise she had for me. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the peanut!

But first, here are a few from Shannon's portrait session. She wanted some shots so she can use on her site to promote her flute services. Which one do you think she should use?

595902328_KFx6f-L.jpg

595902509_eHEfM-L.jpg

595902893_xA3hi-L.jpg

Now, the peanut!!!! Making these XL so you can see the details better.

595908351_6WsdD-XL-1.jpg

595904712_pURYj-XL.jpg

595904772_e2GF7-XL.jpg

595905341_cxks6-XL.jpg

595910724_WN9ek-XL.jpg

595911721_e5oGT-XL.jpg

595913655_qViBY-XL.jpg

595917050_R8Z3k-XL.jpg

595917056_K6wDE-XL.jpg

Here are a few of the boy Max.

595915993_RYzdB-XL.jpg

595915963_2g4M6-XL.jpg

#3 YUM!!!
595917125_avb4W-XL.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Ya made us look better than real life....Gosh knows ya had to work hard to make me look good!! Didn't break out his wide angle lens, must have a widescreen monitor then right?:D
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    Ya made us look better than real life....Gosh knows ya had to work hard to make me look good!! Didn't break out his wide angle lens, must have a widescreen monitor then right?:D

22 inches of pure... Wiat second. Hahahahaha.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    595911721_e5oGT-XL.jpg

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited July 20, 2009

That is just her sitting in her car seat, with the light from my van door being opened. Good to be parked with the sun to your back!!!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Trev and Shannon -

Beautiful set. Trev, what's the "metallic" effect you're doing with catchlights in these last couple of batches? I really like it (although perhaps for kids it's a tiny bit "edgier" than goes with the subject for me - totally a matter of personal preference on that, but fwiw).

Shannon - I'm going to SMACK you... you're beautiful!! I think the shots of you are lovely. My only reservation for them as promo shots for you as a musician is that the background is competing for attention with you. On the one hand, it's a beautiful setting which (since I think your website is promoting you for weddings and events) might act as a nice subliminal nod towards the kinds of events you want to attract; on the other hand, it doesn't make me think "musician" as much as "gorgeous shot - oh, and there's a flute" :D. Of these I favour #3 for promo, but are there any others which have a slightly less dominant setting? Again, i think they're BEAUTIFUL and as shots qua shots they're great, I'm simply thinking of how they'll be used.

Looks like you two had a blast with this project - woohoo! :ivarthumb.gif
    edited July 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Trev and Shannon -

Beautiful set. Trev, what's the "metallic" effect you're doing with catchlights in these last couple of batches? I really like it (although perhaps for kids it's a tiny bit "edgier" than goes with the subject for me - totally a matter of personal preference on that, but fwiw).

Shannon - I'm going to SMACK you... you're beautiful!! I think the shots of you are lovely. My only reservation for them as promo shots for you as a musician is that the background is competing for attention with you. On the one hand, it's a beautiful setting which (since I think your website is promoting you for weddings and events) might act as a nice subliminal nod towards the kinds of events you want to attract; on the other hand, it doesn't make me think "musician" as much as "gorgeous shot - oh, and there's a flute" :D. Of these I favour #3 for promo, but are there any others which have a slightly less dominant setting? Again, i think they're BEAUTIFUL and as shots qua shots they're great, I'm simply thinking of how they'll be used.

Diva, thanks for the compliments. There is no metalic effect! Thast's how her eyes are, incredible right? Like I said before, all I do to the eyes are 10 brightness on the mid tones. That's it.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited July 20, 2009

Thanks Chris. I was just along for the ride. Jilly was the star of the show. I'm just happy she smiled for me and turned to the camera.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited July 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I actually chose the spot. For me, and I think Trev too, studio shots were not the image we were going for. I wanted something different that stood out from the rest, and I think we achieved it thumb.gif

and thank you...I really don't look that good, Trev is a master PS!!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I actually chose the spot. For me, and I think Trev too, studio shots were not the image we were going for. I wanted something different that stood out from the rest, and I think we achieved it thumb.gif

Oh, I wasn't thinking "studio" as much as perhaps some with slightly shallower DOF or a more neutral background. Again, don't get me wrong, I think these are beautiful, and if they're what you wanted, then sounds like ya'll got it exactly right between you thumb.gif Big claps to both of you! clap.gif
  • Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    clap.gif The pictures are FABULOUS!bowdown.gif I *LOVE* how 'the peanut' has skin that looks like a doll- and with little Max too! Wonderful catchlights in all pics. For the promo pic, I'd choose 3 as well. It speaks 'professional' to me for some reason. I like it, and think that if I were in the market, that image would certainly get my attention. Heck, all three would honestly, but the closeup I think I just like better for a business site (is it just me, or are there chipped fingernails in the first two shots?).

You all look amazing, what a great session! WELL DONE Trev! thumb.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Was there anything done to smooth the girl's skin in some shots? I love #6 because it looks real - the trueness of details and variations in the skin... some of the other shots looks as if they skin is too smooth to be real. Some may enjoy that, but it doesn't do it for me, personally.

A nice set, though! Was this for the Portrait Project?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited July 20, 2009
    Jazmyn76 wrote:
    clap.gif The pictures are FABULOUS!bowdown.gif I *LOVE* how 'the peanut' has skin that looks like a doll- and with little Max too! Wonderful catchlights in all pics. For the promo pic, I'd choose 3 as well. It speaks 'professional' to me for some reason. I like it, and think that if I were in the market, that image would certainly get my attention. Heck, all three would honestly, but the closeup I think I just like better for a business site (is it just me, or are there chipped fingernails in the first two shots?).

You all look amazing, what a great session! WELL DONE Trev! thumb.gif

Oh, yes jeez look at that, didn't even notice I had chipped nail polish (looking at my hand now...it's my ring finger the others look pretty good)...Gosh I just had them done a couple days ago too.....:cry what the heck did I pay for?

I think if the top 2 were cropped the same as the third some may have different answers....I think it's the crop that makes you think "professional", as most you see have a similar crop. :D
    ~Shannon~

my real job
    edited July 21, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Was there anything done to smooth the girl's skin in some shots? I love #6 because it looks real - the trueness of details and variations in the skin... some of the other shots looks as if they skin is too smooth to be real. Some may enjoy that, but it doesn't do it for me, personally.

A nice set, though! Was this for the Portrait Project?

The ones where the skin looks nice and smooth, that's mostly light. I do minimal skin tone corrections on the photos to give them even skin through out. It's my style and my clients like them. On 6, I did the same exact skin tone correction. It doesn't look 'overdone' because it was natural light I guess.

This was not for the portrait project. This was just two Dgrinners meeting and exchanging techniques and ideas. I made a great friend. I'm glad I took the trip.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited July 21, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:

This was not for the portrait project. This was just two Dgrinners meeting and exchanging techniques and ideas. I made a great friend. I'm glad I took the trip.

Although that might be fun too.....wings.gif
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    These are really nice Frank, your learning to use that flash well. I like #1 the best because of the composition. Let me know if there is ever another NY/NJ trip!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    But first, here are a few from Shannon's portrait session. She wanted some shots so she can use on her site to promote her flute services. Which one do you think she should use?

595902328_KFx6f-L.jpg

I think,,,,,, this one!
    edited July 21, 2009
    mpaulie wrote:
    These are really nice Frank, your learning to use that flash well. I like #1 the best because of the composition. Let me know if there is ever another NY/NJ trip!

Thanks Michael. If you are ever in the city, let me know and I'll go meet you somewhere.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    The ones where the skin looks nice and smooth, that's mostly light. I do minimal skin tone corrections on the photos to give them even skin through out. It's my style and my clients like them. On 6, I did the same exact skin tone correction. It doesn't look 'overdone' because it was natural light I guess.

Actually, now that you mention it, I did have something similar happen with natural light on a child's face once - maybe it's just the nature of pure, delicate child-skin that the rest of us have lost with age :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I think #1 for the website.

By the way, will you PM me if you have any advice about beginning flute, selecting an instrument, etc? My 12 year old has been wanting to start for years, and she's finally going to have a chance.

Caroline