Options

Macro Lens Question

therootheroo Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited June 23, 2005 in Cameras
I have a canon eos-1ds mark II, and a eos-1d mark II, can anyone recommend a Marco lens for them. I would like to try some pics. But It's difficult to pick a lens not knowing anything about them.:dunno
Theroo

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 22, 2005
    theroo wrote:
    I have a canon eos-1ds mark II, and a eos-1d mark II, can anyone recommend a Marco lens for them. I would like to try some pics. But It's difficult to pick a lens not knowing anything about them.ne_nau.gif
    What kind of marco subjects are you wanting to capture? And what is your budget? Macro lenses can run from $130 for add on adapters like a 77mm 500D to ~$1200 for the Canon 180mm f3.5 macro. The Canon 100mm f2.8 macro at $470 is hard to beat for sharpness.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    i like the sigma 150 mm macro, as i understand its good because of its longer focal length ( i hope i said that right ). The canon 100 mm macro is top notch also. I have been more successful with the 150 going for insects.
    im not one to ask - however, i still new to this stuff after all is said and done.

troy
    theroo wrote:
    I have a canon eos-1ds mark II, and a eos-1d mark II, can anyone recommend a Marco lens for them. I would like to try some pics. But It's difficult to pick a lens not knowing anything about them.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    i like the sigma 150 mm macro, as i understand its good because of its longer focal length ( i hope i said that right ). The canon 100 mm macro is top notch also. I have been more successful with the 150 going for insects.
    im not one to ask - however, i still new to this stuff after all is said and done.

troy

Thanks
    Theroo
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    What kind of marco subjects are you wanting to capture? And what is your budget? Macro lenses can run from $130 for add on adapters like a 77mm 500D to ~$1200 for the Canon 180mm f3.5 macro. The Canon 100mm f2.8 macro at $470 is hard to beat for sharpness.
    Little bugs, flowers that sort of thing. Thanks for the reply
    Theroo
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    I've been using the Sigma 180mm Macro, and from what I've gotten, the images are crisp and clean. They aren't too expensive either; you can get it for about $700.00 from B & H photo.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2005
    I've been using the Sigma 180mm Macro, and from what I've gotten, the images are crisp and clean. They aren't too expensive either; you can get it for about $700.00 from B & H photo.

Thanks I need all the help i can get.
    Theroo
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    If you want bugs, go with the 65mm macro. I guess it'd be micro since it is larger than 1x.

By the way the correct terms are:

Photomicrography
    and
    Macrophotography.

Yea, I know, weird.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    If you want bugs, go with the 65mm macro. I guess it'd be micro since it is larger than 1x.

By the way the correct terms are:

Photomicrography
    and
    Macrophotography.

Yea, I know, weird.
    Thanks for the advice, and what did you say Laughing.gif
    Theroo
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    I love all the canine avatars we have here now. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Now we need canine smileys! :uhohthumb.gif