DSS #29 - Lake and Owl and Ski Jumping

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited July 24, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all, I just got back from a week in the Adirondacks and picked out a few candidates.

I'd appeciate opinions/ideas on which one(s) you like best for this contest and then some C&C.

Thanks!!
Mike

1) I'm still trying to find a 'lake' song title that isn't an instrumental :dunno
This is Lake Placid first thing in the morning.

596506564_MSg4i-XL.jpg

2) Hungry Eyes - Eric Carmen

596506095_wXch5-XL.jpg

3) Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
(Free-style ski jumping exhibition at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid)

I felt that a single shot of the athlete lacked enough context and action. So I tried this composite over a roughly one second span to show the acrobatic progression.

I'd like your thoughts on whether it works for you.

596506224_hVdq3-XL.jpg

4) Jump - Van Halen
(Vertical panorama looking down the 120 meter ski jump at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid)

596507090_98aQN-XL.jpg

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    all are really very nice, but for me #3 has some punch.

imo, i would think some more vibrance in the clothing colors would be nice. or, maybe by toning down the luminace you could also just deepen the colors...ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    #3 is wonderful! And the song title is perfect. I agree with Aaron that you might want to just give those colors a teenie bit more punch.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    #3 is wonderful! And the song title is perfect. I agree with Aaron that you might want to just give those colors a teenie bit more punch.

15524779-Ti.gif

#3 is fantastic!!!!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Hungry Eyes!!!! Hungry Eyes!!!! HAHAAAAA I love it. That wins by a long shot for me! What a great image thumb.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Yes, that owl came out far better than I was expecting when I shot it (the light was poor, the lens was long, but my hands held steady just long enough...)

Here is the acrobat with the colors punched up a hair. Thanks for the feedback so far. Additional critique is always welcome :D

597015351_QrLFh-XL.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    Here is the acrobat with the colors punched up a hair. Thanks for the feedback so far. Additional critique is always welcome :D

bowdown.gifclapwings.gifivarthumb.gifbiggrinbounce2.gifsuper bowdown.gifclapwings.gifivarthumb.gifbiggrinbounce2.gifsuper
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    I like the "acrobat" shot. Didn't really see "Fly Like an Eagle" though. What about "Head Over Feet" by Alanis Morisette? ne_nau.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    fwiw, i totally see "Fly like a Eagle".... thumb.gifthumb.gif
    (dont listen to Brian, isnt it obvious? he has the mad cow ya know...):D
    Aaron Nelson
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    (dont listen to Brian, isnt it obvious? he has the mad cow ya know...):D

That was last year Aaron. I've moved on to the swine flu. rolleyes1.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I think it should be Head Over Heels The Go Gos
    80 s flashback time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nqCM8Ito8&feature=related

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Hello Mike..:D

Nice shots.. I agree it is an awesome capture.. thumb.gif

My only nit is the order of the motion and order of the jumper. The last 3 look more natural and like they are following the laws of physics. I love the "punch" you gave it with the adjustments.

If you have time,,,,,,,, work with the order of the jumper to make it look like he is jumping and then rolling and falling in a natural order. Perhaps even reduce it down to three or four and give him more room. The skis overlap a lot and this might give it some breathing room, and make for a more dramatic presentation of the subject.

I am loving the colors, it is a fun photo to look at for suremwink.gif

Now I am being nit picky to help out,, if you entered it as is, it is still a very strong and talented entry..clap.gif

Kat

P.S. Love the owl too, also a strong entry if the composition was centered..
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Hi Kat,

Thanks for your feedback, everyone brings a different 'take' on an image and it is so useful.

I can see what you mean about the progression of body positions. I am scratching my own head about that first position, but thats what the guy did.

This jump launches the skiier almost straight up in the air, they do twists and summersaults, and then they splash down into a huge pool below. (In the winter they would actaully have to stick a landing on a slope and continue skiing down it) The sequence I layed out was shot in that exact order in a one second burst right after he left the ramp. So he must have thrown himself forward immediately in a summersault. (Wow!) You can see the original shots here to see him against the ramp and trees.

You give a great idea for a different 'feel' to this composite, more smooth and graceful. What I was trying to go for with more images grouped closely was a faster and more action-packed feel.

I also see a 3D effect over the length of the curve, with the skiier coming out towards you. I think this is due to the changes in body position, shape of the curve, and the slightly overlapped skis giving some slight depth. Anyone else see this?

Anyway, not arguing with you at all Kat, super C&C for a different layout, I'll try that out and see what it looks like.

Thanks!!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Hey Mike,,

It is an awesome capture.. Just ignore me.. I just try to be as crucial as possible to help out, and appreciate when others do that for me too when I post. However, it does not mean it is a deal breaker.. I did not know that you posted the exif's until you mentioned it.. I took a look at them.. wow. that is some awesome jumping and it does look as if that is really how he progressed through it.. I think maybe the first jump shot is what makes the order of it stand out so much as you mentioned..

I say experiment with it, and if nothing turns out from that, then stick with what you have, it is superb and jumps off the screen. Nice job on the background by the way, it looks clean and natural..thumb.gif

Kat
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Great action sequence ! Maybe the 3D feel can be enhanced by resizing a little down the first captures ?

I see nothing else to add there thumb.gif
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/