Options

How to lie with Photographs!

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited June 22, 2005 in People
This is a b&w conversion of a shot I took a while back. The color image wasn't very good (flat light etc). I like the b&w much better. I was struck with how sad the hight contrast b&w picture looked. Almost looks like a lonely child behind an orphanage wall or something. In reality, she was happily playing behind a fence & I just happened to catch her in a pensive moment. The dirt on face is from playing in the dirt earlier. She also had a cold. I am struch by the differecne in the mood of the shots taken only moments apart. I just shows that one can use different techniques to convey whatever mood you with to convey in a photograph. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.
25815084-L-1.jpg

Here is the more realistic version of the scene just moments later. Quite a difference!
25815502-M.jpg
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    I love this! Nice sharp eyes! The mood it portrays is sad, I agree. Almost one of imprisonment. Great shot!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Thomas, that is so true, or it could be looked at that we can better show the truth with our photographs.

There can be power there, though. So, journalists are expected to be unbiased, etc. Nice we can get our points across, though.

This is not always as dramatic as your shot.

But did you see Yuri's Old Man shot, color vs blk/white, I responded yesterday that the choice of which shot to use would be what one wanted to "say".

I saw a very dramatic example in a book in the early seventies, or before that, very dramatic.

ginger

Interesting topic, don't you think? I do, thanks, Thomas, nice shots, happy child.:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Gator wrote:
    I love this! Nice sharp eyes! The mood it portrays is sad, I agree. Almost one of imprisonment. Great shot!thumb.gif
    Thanks. Yes, maybe I should title it "Imprisonment". Thanks for commenting.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thomas, that is so true, or it could be looked at that we can better show the truth with our photographs.

There can be power there, though. So, journalists are expected to be unbiased, etc. Nice we can get our points across, though.

This is not always as dramatic as your shot.

But did you see Yuri's Old Man shot, color vs blk/white, I responded yesterday that the choice of which shot to use would be what one wanted to "say".

I saw a very dramatic example in a book in the early seventies, or before that, very dramatic.

ginger

Interesting topic, don't you think? I do, thanks, Thomas, nice shots, happy child.:D
    I really do think it is an interesting topic. I am always intrigued to see the behind the scenes shots of a studio shot. They give a very different impression than the final shot. There is alot of room to change your message by how you approach any shot. Just some thoughts...

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 22, 2005
    But is it a lie?

It reflects the moment it was taken. If you want to remember the happy
    moments, your choice is the second.

Very nice shots and a great topic too!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 22, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I really do think it is an interesting topic. I am always intrigued to see the behind the scenes shots of a studio shot. They give a very different impression than the final shot. There is alot of room to change your message by how you approach any shot. Just some thoughts...

Very effective demonstration of how the viewer can be misled by the use of photography. The child in the B&W looks like a miserable orphan and the color image looks like a happy little child.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin