Help with Yellowstone Planning Requested

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Dgrinners:

My family and I are going on a family tour of the upper West, from Yellowstone through to the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore. It a tour, where you stay in many of the national parks. There are 14 of us, so its a big crowd, a bit of a family reunion. The tour is by bus between, so control is at a minimum.

Anyway, I am torn by what equipment to bring. I have too much gear! I want to travel kind of light, but always enjoy good pictures. I am tempted to bring just my 50D and 24-105 zoom, plus a flash.

I sold my 70-200 f4 in favor of the f2.8, but miss the form factor of the smaller lens. I also have a 300f4, which is smaller and lighter, but might be just too much reach.

On the opposite side, I have a 10-20, but have never really taken to wide angle. I guess I just dont think that way. I took it out for the day yesterday and used it but didnt like the look of the photos. I did take a couple of scenery and they turned out better.

I am dispensing with the tripod, perhaps a mistake but heavy to carry and time consuming to set up. This isnt a photo vacation per se, but I usually end up making a book of the trip and send them to all the family - so many of the shots are perfect with the 24-105 ; family member foreground, scenery background.

A long winded way to ask if you could provide any advice? I have not shot out West with good equipment and wonder if my thinking is in line.

Thanks,

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• MarcyMarcy Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    take the wide angle and the 300 both will be used - In Yellowstone - the telephoto will be your best friend for animals - and the wide angle will do for the landscapes - Mount Rushmore can be done with your 24-105 - If you can only take 2 lenses one long and your 24-105 will be the best
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Good luck on your trip! I hope you are able to get some great shots and I'm sure your book will be well-received. thumb.gif

What you take depends on how you shoot, but I've found over time that one wide, one zoom, and a tripod covers pretty much everything if you've got landscapes on the brain. The tripod will allow you to achieve unlimited wide-ness (via panos lol3.gif) and the zoom lets you get portraits of your family, wildlife, the sunset over them there mountains, etc.

It's understandable not wanting to drag a huge tripod, especially if it's a family trip and you won't really be roughing it. Maybe investing in a smaller, lighter one for such occasions?
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Z,

We're doing a family/photo trip to Yellowstone in a few weeks too.

This is my plan, maybe it will help you, maybe not.

I'm going to be using my Tammy 18-270 for landscapes and Canon 100-400 for wildlife. For landscapes, I'm going to pre-plan those and use a tripod. I bought a window mount for my Manfrotto head to use for wildlife. And I haven't decided if I'm going take my monopod. For the family walks along the paths and boardwalks I'm going to have my camera on my R-strap. People walking on the boardwalks can cause them to bounce, so taking a tripod is pointless.

Good luck with your trip and post some pics when you get home!