From Skyline Drive - VA ......................IR

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 21, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Not rightly sure these should be here - maybe in landscapes instead. But, they are IR shots (830nm modified Canon 20D) so .....

A couple of weeks ago a group of folks from around here (a digital photo club I've been allowed to join :D) went for a road trip to Beford Va and then to Otter Peak Lake (in Va).

1. Otter Peak Lake:
596932664_7r8Yu-L.jpg

2. Otter Peak Lake (again):
596932951_7DgPX-L.jpg

3. This is a shot of, I think, of the James River way back up in the mountains (or what passes for mountains on the east coast - I was raised in AK, MT, and CO so these are just small hills to me). I would have loved to have gotten lower to the water, but that wasn't possible - Oh well.
596929815_FBHoY-L.jpg

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Howdy Scott,

Very nicely done, love that first image, it really has a special feel to it with the split rail fencing framing the beautiful setting

I really like the perspectives of the other two images, espcially the view shown in the last one with the beautiful Black Water and reflections.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Scott,

Very nicely done, love that first image, it really has a special feel to it with the split rail fencing framing the beautiful setting

I really like the perspectives of the other two images, espcially the view shown in the last one with the beautiful Black Water and reflections.
    Ahhhh ... thank you! That's some pretty high praise coming from the you. You just made my day!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Hey Scott,

That first shot looks like a very nice snow scene, and being in Texas, that alone makes this image a favorite for me.

The second shot: I know that I wasn't there, but from an impartial observer, the image looks pretty crooked. That might be an illusion from the trees on the bank, their angle. Block those trees by the fence with your thumb while viewing the image, that's what's making it look crooked. ~ But still, I hope the water doesn't drain out of the lake :D

Third shot: A very calming view.

Thanks for posting these thumb.gif
    Randy
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Wow really nice Scott! I love the third one with the nice dark clouds. I know the clear blue sky turns black in IR but do clouds have increased contrast shooting this way?
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow really nice Scott! I love the third one with the nice dark clouds. I know the clear blue sky turns black in IR but do clouds have increased contrast shooting this way?

They can...I find I have to underexpose slightly to get a dramatic contrast with clouds especially on an overcast day where it's just kind of blah.

Dig the first one Scott. Very well composed with the fence as the foreground and the trees on either side leading the eye to the trees across the water. thumb.gif
    edited July 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Scott,

That first shot looks like a very nice snow scene, and being in Texas, that alone makes this image a favorite for me.

The second shot: I know that I wasn't there, but from an impartial observer, the image looks pretty crooked. That might be an illusion from the trees on the bank, their angle. Block those trees by the fence with your thumb while viewing the image, that's what's making it look crooked. ~ But still, I hope the water doesn't drain out of the lake :D

Third shot: A very calming view.

Thanks for posting these thumb.gif
    It's funny you should say that the second one looks tilted. In actual fact, I'm pretty sure I used the bubble balance on my ballhead to get that think level - but I could be wrong. I do know that I sometimes get my shots a bit off plumb, but it's always in the other direction.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and the kind words. I really appreciate them.
    edited July 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    As Chris has already stated, if you control the exposure a bit, you can get some very nice clouds. Sometimes I've had to take a couple of exposures, one for the scene and another for the sky and blend them in post. One of my favorite shots (to date) was taken at Glacier (during the shootout) - here's the link.
    They can...I find I have to underexpose slightly to get a dramatic contrast with clouds especially on an overcast day where it's just kind of blah.

Dig the first one Scott. Very well composed with the fence as the foreground and the trees on either side leading the eye to the trees across the water. thumb.gif
    Thanks Chris - I appreciate the comments.