Bridge by the Lake - C&C Welcome

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Just a small bridge over a very small creek that feeds into the Otter Peak Lake, VA.

I thought the color was nice, then I thought, "Why not do a B&W conversion?" Now, I'm confused (like that's news :wink) and don't know which I like better. So, how about you - which works best (assuming either works at all)?

596931403_DXXNJ-L.jpg

596932286_Q8Zas-L.jpg

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 20, 2009
    Color wins by a country mile. Nice soothing scene of a place where I might like to spend some time. The BW one looks harsh and uninviting.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    +1 for the color. BW is losing a lot of definition in the leaves and the water.
  • junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    another vote
    well, I think this makes it 2 1/2 to 1 for the color. I am the half vote as a half assed photographer.

I really likes the color version. the black and white looks too much like an IR version.

question:

Is it really a creek or could the path just go around the water??http://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/headscratch.gif
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Definitely color for this. The subtle shades of green and the water in the background need the color. In the B&W version it is really difficult to see that the bridge does have water underneath it. Also your contrasting colors add a bit right below the tree to the left. In the B&W version that subtle detail is lost.

Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Color for sure. Very nice. thumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Well, I guess color has it and I really appreciate all the comments. I really like B&W, but I have to agree with some of the comments about this conversion. Project for tomorrow - see if I can get the calm and quite feel of the color to come out in a new B&W image.

As for the "creek", yes, you are right - it's just a place where the water from the lake crept in on the land a bit and the path really could have just gone around it a bit. I like the bridge better through.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nice shot. I agree on the color as well. If you're using Photoshop, I think this could use a little highlight recover to bring back some detail in the water.
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Hope you don't mind but I had a quick go at a mono conversion, I used a bit more of the blue channel to give some oomph to the foliage and retain the detail in the water beyond. I think it works ok. I had to resize to get it to upload, so it's a bit on the small side.

Chris
    596931403_DXXNJ-L.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Chris H wrote:
    Hope you don't mind but I had a quick go at a mono conversion, I used a bit more of the blue channel to give some oomph to the foliage and retain the detail in the water beyond. I think it works ok. I had to resize to get it to upload, so it's a bit on the small side.

Chris
    596931403_DXXNJ-L.jpg
    Oh, yeah - I'm soooo offended - NOT!!

Thanks for that. It shows that it can be done, I just need to work it in a fashion a bit better than I have above.

Again - love the work and the effort you took to show me a better path.:D
    edited July 21, 2009
    No problem. With colour to mono conversions I always start by looking at the channels in photoshop. Click on each of them individually, the red was looking a bit washed out, blue very dark and punchy, green somewhere in the middle. So in this case I used channel mixer and went for R44 G-30 B86 to bring in the blue but retain the contrast with the red.

Hope that makes sense...

I also played with the levels and curves a bit, I think there were 7-8 adjustment layers in total.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Sweet shot, Scott. Makes me think of Devonshire Tea and doilies (and hobbits!).

I think the color has the goodies!

I think B&W should only be used if you have a pretty d*mned good excuse.

There's too much B&W in the world and not enough color (a little gratuitous philosophical aside!).

Best.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Color for me too. What a beautiful place. I'd love to read my Kindle by that bridge. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 22, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    I think B&W should only be used if you have a pretty d*mned good excuse.

A fairly sweeping statement!mwink.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Chris H wrote:
    A fairly sweeping statement!mwink.gif

B&W is a carpet for sweeping a lot of stuff under, including most of reality.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited July 22, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    B&W is a carpet for sweeping a lot of stuff under, including most of reality.

Can't argue with that. Though I would note that there's nothing wrong with losing contact with reality when producing photographs. That's what I love most about it.