Oregon City (Dark, Orton, Contrast +)

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi Folks:

I decided to play with some older shots I had from the paper plant in Oregon City (I think it is the Blue Heron Paper Plant if I recall correctly). In any case, the day of capture was dark, gray, dreary, rainy, cold, and otherwise weird in terms of light. I wanted the shots to reflect that sense of the oppressiveness of the day and to evoke a dystopic social landscape. So, here is an attempt. Any thoughts greatly appreciated:

oc1.jpg

oc2.jpg

oc3.jpg

oc4.jpg

oc5.jpg

Processing was a bit weird, and I did not hold consistency over all of the shots, so back to the digital lab I go, but I am very partial to this look.

Best,

Nacho
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Cool series, but I really like #1 Nacho thumb.gif
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    These are very cool! The contrast ant Orton fits the subject matter well.
    Nice job!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    wow these are done very well! It works perfectly I think. I like the first, and third the most.
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Thanks all! Yeah, I think I like #1 best. :)

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    What a beautiful place! The effect really brings out the age and weathered look of the structure, mmm.

I also love the rushing water. Paper mills are always on rivers, but I don't think I've seen one that swift!

Would love to visit this place. Thanks for sharing!
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Great work I know the place very well you captured some great angles of the locks...
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Jon, Schmoo, thank you so much. This is indeed a compelling place. It looks so gritty, weathered and beaten by time, and the river is just one big mass of black/charcoal gray water coming at it without mercy. It almost feels like the water is in an uneasy relationship with this structure, just biding its time until it knocks it down. Add to that the distant roar of the water, the cars in the background, the smoke, and in winter here the cold rain everywhere at once, etc. and it just gets me rooted to the spot.

I'd like to go in but I keep thinking... "Resident Evil..." :)

Thanks again!

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Very nice! The detail just leaps out of these photos. Crisp and clear. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com