noise reduction

startingjourneystartingjourney Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited July 24, 2009 in Finishing School
I want to see some sports, portraits, etc examples of shooting with high iso and what is possible with noise reduction+maybe a few adjustments. What is you shot with high iso and the image is still dark? Is it possible to make it brighter and use noise reduction. Examples would be great.

Comments

• TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
  • lukeolukeo Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I want to see some sports, portraits, etc examples of shooting with high iso and what is possible with noise reduction+maybe a few adjustments. What is you shot with high iso and the image is still dark? Is it possible to make it brighter and use noise reduction. Examples would be great.

I just ran across this and did the following in Photoshop:
    - command-J to create a copy of the image
    - add filter->noise->reduce noise
    - adjust strength to 10, preserve details to 0, sharpen details to 0
    - option-click on add layer mask (so it's black)
    - choose a large soft brush with foreground white to "paint" on this noise reduction

It looks pretty good on the sample image I tried.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009

Why don't you post an image that you wish help with, so that we can see it, and you can see what can be done with it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I know I did not start this thread but I am very interested in this subject. I have shot several weddings this year already where the reception and dancing is later on in the night and the only way to get non-blurry pics was to bump the ISO, but the noise/grain in the images is horrible when you zoom in on them they might as well be blurry. I hate how the noise looks on the black tux. Here's a shot of mine that I would like to see some before and afters if you are willing...
    <br>
    Just curious, does anyone personally think increasing flash would be a better option rather than increasing ISO?
    <br>
    Would a Canon 5d II handle the noise/grain issue better?
    <br>
    Are there any custom functions anyone can suggest to help with the noise/grain issue?
    <br>
    <br>
    1.-This photo shot at ISO 500, 2.8, 1/50th, LR2 luminance adj 64, color 36, I did increase the exposure a lot +1.62 so I know that is part of the problem too.
    600450120_GpoCN-X2.jpg
    <br>
  • lukeolukeo Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I know I did not start this thread but I am very interested in this subject. I have shot several weddings this year already where the reception and dancing is later on in the night and the only way to get non-blurry pics was to bump the ISO, but the noise/grain in the images is horrible when you zoom in on them they might as well be blurry. I hate how the noise looks on the black tux. Here's a shot of mine that I would like to see some before and afters if you are willing...
    <br>
    Just curious, does anyone personally think increasing flash would be a better option rather than increasing ISO?
    <br>
    Would a Canon 5d ii handle the noise/grain issue better?
    <br>
    Are there any custom functions anyone can suggest to help with the noise/grain issue?
    <br>
    <br>
    1.-This photo shot at ISO 500, 2.8, 1/50th, LR2 luminance adj 64, color 36, I did increase the exposure a lot +1.62 so I know that is part of the problem too.
    <br>

Your photo is only at ISO 500, so I don't think ISO is the problem here. Just try 100, 200, 800, and 1600 on a plain surface and I think you'll see that ISO noise is much snowier.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it seems to be coloring noise. Like too much saturation or something.

This is a really difficult photograph to take since the background is going to want to be dark. I'm guessing you metered off of the floor or something. Did you add+1.62 post processing? One option is to do a trick where you open it up once in camera raw to get the blacks right. Then open another smart object copy in camera again to get the whites/brights correctly exposed/colored. Then paint them together. That's really the only option here. If you have the original, I'll play with it.

I don't think increasing the power of the flash is the right move here unless you can diffuse it a lot.

Just my thoughts, but I really don't know what I'm doing
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 24, 2009
    500 ISO on a 40D should not be too noisy if it is not under exposed at the time of shooting.

The noise is always more noticeable in the lower quarter tones - those tones nearest black. You d not want to under expose these for that reason. Any of the Noise Reducing programs will help decrease any remaining noise.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin