Outdoor shooting w/lots of different light?

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited July 24, 2009 in Technique
I'm going to a blues fest and there is going to be a lot of different light, Harsh light, reflective light, soft light, shadow play and so on.

Would this work for that kind of situation?

Shutter speed 1/125
Arpture 5.5 - 3.8

Fill flash set to +2.

What do you gentleman and ladies think?

I will be using this exact same set up on my film slr with 400 asa film.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    I'm going to a blues fest and there is going to be a lot of different light, Harsh light, reflective light, soft light, shadow play and so on.

Would this work for that kind of situation?

Shutter speed 1/125
    Arpture 5.5 - 3.8

Fill flash set to +2.

What do you gentleman and ladies think?

I will be using this exact same set up on my film slr with 400 asa film.

I think you answer yourself in your first line - there's going to be lots of DIFFERENT light.... and that's going to mean lots of different settings to accommodate each lighting state properly.

I'd probably shoot aperture priority if I needed to control depth of field, or shutter priority if I needed to ensure I was above a certain shutter speed and let the camera adjust accordingly, but that's becasue I have trouble thinking fast enough to shoot manual in changing conditions and/or under pressure. YMMV. Also, depending on how contrasty the light was I might switch to spot meter and just make sure I locked my exposure over whatever it was I wanted exposed correctly (ie in a theater shoot, I'll spot meter on a face and let the high contrast lights around the rest of the stage blow or plug accordingly, knowing I'll have the main subject properly exposed)
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I think you answer yourself in your first line - there's going to be lots of DIFFERENT light.... and that's going to mean lots of different settings to accommodate each lighting state properly.

I'd probably shoot aperture priority if I needed to control depth of field, or shutter priority if I needed to ensure I was above a certain shutter speed and let the camera adjust accordingly, but that's because I have trouble thinking fast enough to shoot manual in changing conditions and/or under pressure. YMMV. Also, depending on how contrasty the light was I might switch to spot meter and just make sure I locked my exposure over whatever it was I wanted exposed correctly (ie in a theater shoot, I'll spot meter on a face and let the high contrast lights around the rest of the stage blow or plug accordingly, knowing I'll have the main subject properly exposed)
    For this type of event, the dof is going to play a major factor in all of my shots, and the event is this coming Sunday, I will be using 125 roll of film.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Fill flash of +2 will likely be overpowering. I know with no compensation I have gotten shodaws created by my flash in bright sunlight conditions.
    edited July 23, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Fill flash of +2 will likely be overpowering. I know with no compensation I have gotten shodaws created by my flash in bright sunlight conditions.
    Should I back the flash off a little bit and go for like a 2+...v.<this one>..-2?

so like 3 clicks backwards from dead center?
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    What equipment will you be using, digital and film.
    How far back from the stage will you be.

it sounds like a lot of fun...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited July 24, 2009
    time2smile wrote:
    What equipment will you be using, digital and film.
    How far back from the stage will you be.

it sounds like a lot of fun...

For my class assignment I will be using my film slr a canon 10S with black & white, And for Dgrin I will be using a canon sxi both will have no flash, however the film camera may have the flash for diffusing light for black & white. the lens will be the tamreron 17-55 on the sxi, and the canon simgia 70-200 on the 10S, By the way I'm getting a flas umbrella tomorrow before before the event.