Point Judith Twilight and Sunrise

astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Two from the other morning at Point Judith, Rhode Island.

I thought this was going to be a difficult, dissapointing morning, since the sky was almost completely clear that morning when I got there. But I think the endless comps here due to the amount of rocks, with a light that I could control this morning for some reason, made for some neat stuff. I only have done a couple so far. I may do more, but I took so many of the same comp, due to bracketing, so may not finish many more. BTW, these are all one exposure shots NO HDR, no blending. Just contrast and exposure masking in CS4.

This was on of the first shots this morning. I pulled back the vibrance to
-10 on this shot. The color was just that intense.

15sec, F/11, IS0 100, 16mm,
K10D, SMC-DA* 16-50mm, f/2.8, 2 stop grad, release, tripod.
595943506_jLydU-XL.jpg

10sec, F/22, IS0 100, 16mm,
K10D, SMC-DA* 16-50mm, f/2.8, 2 stop grad, with 3 stop ND solid, release, tripod.
595943730_U8jhb-XL.jpg

-Andy
<!-- / message -->

Comments

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Both are nicely done, but I think I prefer #2.
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Both are nicely done, but I think I prefer #2.

Thanks Bryan

-Andy
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Very nice Andythumb.gif

just crop some of the sky outmwink.gif

Also, when you add contrast you are simultaneously adding color saturationdeal.gif its a good thing you lowered the vib.
    Those boulders are wonderful in that light!
    edited July 21, 2009
    Very nice Andythumb.gif

just crop some of the sky outmwink.gif

Also, when you add contrast you are simultaneously adding color saturationdeal.gif its a good thing you lowered the vib.
    Those boulders are wonderful in that light!

Thanks Marc. Glad to hear from you. Thanks for the tip on the sky. I will crop some out, and see how I like it. You're right, to much dead space. And yeah I know when I bring up contrast, I bring saturation. Sometime's I have trouble judging the amount of vibrance to put in or take out on top of it. Thanks alot. Again, great to get comments from you about these.

-Andy
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Beautiful shots, Andy! I love the light on the FG rocks and the effect the long exposure has on the water. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 22, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful shots, Andy! I love the light on the FG rocks and the effect the long exposure has on the water. clap.gifthumb.gif

Yeah the light on the rocks really does it for me on this. The sky is forgiven for not having clouds that morning. :D But seriously, even with grad use, I can never seem to get shots like this to come out. The DR on the camera just usually cannot handle it. but for some reason I got it to work. Might have been the use of a 2 stop grad vice a 3, as maybe I was exposing for less, and had something to do with the contrast staying under control. I that is shouldn't matter, as the exposure time will all be relative to the grad, but IDK. I'll make a mental note of this, for the next time I have no clouds.

-Andy