The Mighty Green Door

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited July 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
1) This is one serious door. Notice how they chiseled out the concrete support & bricks to fit the hinges.
Randy

Comments

• tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I didn't know about chiggers until now. Extra points for taking good shots under such hostile conditions.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    That is one serious door! The perspective in #1 wins me over. It gives the door more of a menacing look.

We got chiggers up here in Pennsylvania and in New Jersey. So those nasty lil' ol' critters do venture up north nod.gif. Don't blame you at all for not wanting to stick around there for too long. :eek1

Too bad this hobby doesn't offer hazardous duty pay. mwink.gifrofl
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I wonder what could be happening... ahem... behind the green door.

I, too, love the angle on the first one. And don't be afraid of those chiggers; I've got 'em from my ankles to my shoulders after my last little shoot!
    Travis
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    I didn't know about chiggers until now. Extra points for taking good shots under such hostile conditions.

You really owe it to yourself to experience chiggers personally. Reading about em' is one thing, living it is quite another. Come on down, I'm more than willing to show you a chigger patch or two rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 21, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    That is one serious door! The perspective in #1 wins me over. It gives the door more of a menacing look.

We got chiggers up here in Pennsylvania and in New Jersey. So those nasty lil' ol' critters do venture up north nod.gif. Don't blame you at all for not wanting to stick around there for too long. :eek1

Too bad this hobby doesn't offer hazardous duty pay. mwink.gifrofl

See there, I've just learned something today.

I'm glad to know that ya'll have chiggers too. Not in a mean way, but in a caring, sharing way rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    See there, I've just learned something today.

I'm glad to know that ya'll have chiggers too. Not in a mean way, but in a caring, sharing way rolleyes1.gif

Now that's just so sothron' of ya'll. iloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited July 21, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I wonder what could be happening... ahem... behind the green door.

I, too, love the angle on the first one. And don't be afraid of those chiggers; I've got 'em from my ankles to my shoulders after my last little shoot!

You just want to see if the "door is greener" on the other side mwink.gif

BTW, it's half-way between the ankles and shoulders that makes me take off runnin' in fear

Seriously, and I'm whispering here; A non-occupied run down old movie theater, a massively built door with massive hinges ~ but NO HANDLE OR LATCH eek7.gif

Can you say C-I-A... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    You just want to see if the "door is greener" on the other side mwink.gif

Seriously, and I'm whispering here; A non-occupied run down old movie theater, a massively built door with massive hinges ~ but NO HANDLE OR LATCH eek7.gif

Can you say C-I-A... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Well, I was actually referring to this. mwink.gif

However, your suggestion is intriguing. Is there a definite lack of "keep out" signs? The CIA is notorious for keeping people out of things that it doesn't want people to know they're being kept out of.
    Travis
    edited July 21, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Well, I was actually referring to this. mwink.gif

However, your suggestion is intriguing. Is there a definite lack of "keep out" signs? The CIA is notorious for keeping people out of things that it doesn't want people to know they're being kept out of.

Well, I hate to tell you this, but IF there were anyone inside, then actually, I WOULD BE WHAT'S BEHIND THE GREEN DOOR!

Match this with your actual referred meaning eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif and...

It's a cruel world man ~ but you brought it on yourself! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Well, I hate to tell you this, but IF there were anyone inside, then actually, I WOULD BE WHAT'S BEHIND THE GREEN DOOR!

Match this with your actual referred meaning eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif and...

It's a cruel world man ~ but you brought it on yourself! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Argh... imagination.... burning... eyes... ah, well you get the picture. rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Looks like it might be the "workshop" of the villain in the Saws movies Did you hear any screams emanating forth? eek7.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited July 22, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Looks like it might be the "workshop" of the villain in the Saws movies Did you hear any screams emanating forth? eek7.gif

SAW XXXVII rolleyes1.gif

It does beg the question as to why an old movie theater would need such a massive door on the back of the building.
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Morning Randy,

Striking image and post processing!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    you made something simple into something very interesting leaving me to wonder...whats behind that door? In my hometown the local theater has a huge iron door much like this. I suspect it was to keep people from sneaking in like my Dad who used to try when he was a boy back in the day... lots of equipment could be stolen as well! :D nice one!!
    edited July 22, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Morning Randy,

Striking image and post processing!!!

Thanks Craig,

Seems like I find something new to shoot every time I'm at the Stockyards. Hope I never use it up.
    Randy
    edited July 22, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    you made something simple into something very interesting leaving me to wonder...whats behind that door? In my hometown the local theater has a huge iron door much like this. I suspect it was to keep people from sneaking in like my Dad who used to try when he was a boy back in the day... lots of equipment could be stolen as well! :D nice one!!

Thanks Eia,

Glad the images gave you reason to contemplate. thumb.gif
    Randy
  • JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Cool photo!!

A remedy for the maddening itch of chiggers: An Alka Seltzer disolved in a tiny bit of water, then apply the liquid to the bite. This works better than anything I've tried to date. I think it's the sodium bicarbonate in the Alka Seltzer that's supposed to work on the chiggers. (Baking soda might work also but I haven't tried it)
    rwells wrote:
    Seems like I find something new to shoot every time I'm at the Stockyards. Hope I never use it up.

Randy, I'll be in the area in September (Rockwall - other side of Dallas) but might make it over to the Stockyards. Where exactly is this door? I wouldn't mind seeing it for myself.

BTW, I've always used camphonique for chiggers. Seems to work best for me. I hate chiggers! Worse than mosquito bites. Seems like everything in TX will either stick you, stab you, or bite you. Gotta love it.eek7.gif
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited July 23, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Randy, I'll be in the area in September (Rockwall - other side of Dallas) but might make it over to the Stockyards. Where exactly is this door? I wouldn't mind seeing it for myself.

BTW, I've always used camphonique for chiggers. Seems to work best for me. I hate chiggers! Worse than mosquito bites. Seems like everything in TX will either stick you, stab you, or bite you. Gotta love it.eek7.gif
    — Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Here is a map with a big red arrow pointing at the door location
    It's hard to see on the map, but the actual street signs will say N. Main, not Business 287.
    599876854_EPjK8-L.jpg

Here is the front of the building
    599872295_noM35-L.jpg

Here's the side of the building
    596234890_8SYo2-M.jpg

And the back of the building
    596277016_ZSmiU-M.jpg

Now, how's that for service :D

Have fun, but don't take all the shots, leave some for us locals rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited July 23, 2009
    Joie wrote:
    Cool photo!!

A remedy for the maddening itch of chiggers: An Alka Seltzer disolved in a tiny bit of water, then apply the liquid to the bite. This works better than anything I've tried to date. I think it's the sodium bicarbonate in the Alka Seltzer that's supposed to work on the chiggers. (Baking soda might work also but I haven't tried it)

Joie,

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll have to try Alka Seltzer. The only thing that I've found that helps with the little blisters is, and I know this sounds very strange, meat tenderizer rubbed on the blisters. Burns like hades, but then, no more itch.
    Randy
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Have fun, but don't take all the shots, leave some for us locals rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Randy! Being a misplaced native Texan (Laredo, so I guess it should be Texican) I feel like a local myself as soon as I step across the border into the state. But don't worry, I'll leave a few shots behind.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Joie,

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll have to try Alka Seltzer. The only thing that I've found that helps with the little blisters is, and I know this sounds very strange, meat tenderizer rubbed on the blisters. Burns like hades, but then, no more itch.

Clear nail polish! Growing up in Indiana we were told that chiggers burrow into the skin, and clear nail polish applied over the bite would suffocate them. Well, chiggers don't burrow into the skin, but clear nail polish applied over the bite does work to lessen the pain and itch.

Also, scratching the bite makes it worse, so the clear nail polish protects the wound to a certain degree.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I thought I was the only one that liked taking photos of doors...I like seeing I'm not clap.gif

Great photo of the door -- it has character. I was asked once why I took photos of doors. Told them doors have a story to them...many people have opened and closed that door from some reason or other.

Chiggers...have gotten chigger bites from the ground and the lake...not fun at all.
    edited July 23, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I thought I was the only one that liked taking photos of doors...I like seeing I'm not clap.gif

Great photo of the door -- it has character. I was asked once why I took photos of doors. Told them doors have a story to them...many people have opened and closed that door from some reason or other.

Chiggers...have gotten chigger bites from the ground and the lake...not fun at all.

Mary,

I'm glad, (in a strange way), that there are several of us here who are NUTS thumb.gif

Thanks for your comments.
    Randy
    edited July 23, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Clear nail polish! Growing up in Indiana we were told that chiggers burrow into the skin, and clear nail polish applied over the bite would suffocate them. Well, chiggers don't burrow into the skin, but clear nail polish applied over the bite does work to lessen the pain and itch.

Also, scratching the bite makes it worse, so the clear nail polish protects the wound to a certain degree.

Hey Tony,

Over the years, I think I've tried most of the "remedies" for chiggers. The nail polish just didn't work for me.

Besides, I never got chigger bites on my fingernails rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I guess I'm lucky that I didn't get attacked by wild chiggers while I was in El Paso, TX!

Love the Dr. Pepper shot! and the original shot number 1. excellent PP thumb.gif
    Jer
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    1) This is one serious door. Notice how they chiseled out the concrete support & bricks to fit the hinges.

596277016_ZSmiU-L.jpg

2) Wish I didn't cut the upper/right corner off. But, I'm not staying in a chigger patch too long for any picture rolleyes1.gif

For any northern folks who've not had the pleasure to experience chiggers, you can learn about them here.

596276948_7KPT8-L.jpg
    Very cool, By the way if you got any chiggers, you need to wash your clothes in hot soapy water to kill them, By the way there is a story that mister Henry Ford said the reason we use the term bugs in the system is because of the chiggers, Henry ford used Spanish moss for seat filling but forgot to soak it in hot steamy water, And that's how we have the term "work out the bugs in the system"

Cool eh?
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    yeah, come-on! Everyone knows you just wash yourself and your clothes on Lobster Cycle!
    Jer