Descanso Gardens in CA

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Went to revisit this 150 acre garden. It was a home/garden of Los Angeles Daily News Paper publisher E. Manchester Boddy. It is now owned by the Los Angeles County and is a very nice place to visit.

When we went in it was overcast. Some like it for the even lighting but I hate it as it seems to mess up my WB and the colors are muted. Plus I like shadows for the dramatic effect. But watch what you ask for, as soon the sun broke out near 10AM which led to a more harsh shadows plus about 100 degrees.

So I ended up looking for light breaking through the canopy of the trees for more of a spot lighting effect. All in all a fun day.

1. Tea Garden. Basically trying to use the flash to spot light the desk and using a very high shutter speed to expose the bright sky. Haven't used my flash much so I had to force myself to play with my toy.
597328712_nFfKo-L.jpg

2. Rose Garden/fountain.
597318314_zgfyK-L.jpg

3. Playing with spot lighting for some contrast and texture.
597308499_25YPw-L.jpg

4. Not sure if you can see the spiderwebs in the little hole in the tree...
597296272_hhSLg-L.jpg

5. Just playing with the colors and texture off of a tree. Tried to convert this in LR and in Canon's DPP but ended up with Canon's DPP. I've found Canon DPP to be slightly better with color rendition, tonal range, sharpening, and detail extraction and in this case, it turns out to be true. LR is much more flexible though. So I processed most of these in LR.
597290926_Bw2VU-L.jpg

6. Little leaf breaking out.
597313765_Uj4gr-L.jpg

7. We saw this Heron's head breaking out over the shrubs while it walked along a little stream hunting and Sparky and I both thought of the velociraptors from Jurassic Park, so I took a quick shot.
597349042_Vdzg3-L.jpg

Gallery with older shots are all here.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/8972046_ckJJ4#237366015_bkThC

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Beautiful series! Love you play of DOF on the 2nd image. Excellent! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Thank you. I'm still not sure on the second shot personally.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Thank you. I'm still not sure on the second shot personally.

I like the 2nd shot. The highlights of the oof fountain may be a little distracting, but I think that it's a fine shot overall. I'd keep it if it were mine. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I have to agree with Mahesh. The second is my favorite as well.